help me understand: My wife seems to be utterly detested by skelletons and skulls. Why?

by goingthruthemotions 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

So, here I am again....asking more questions to help me understand my wife. she was brought up in the cult in the 70's and 80's. so i can only imagine what kind of indoctrination she deals with.

one thing i do know is this....at one point in time she thought Armagedon was starting whenever there was a bad storm.

anyways. my question is this. Why is she so freaked out by skeletons and skulls.

thanks

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    I can only assume it's due to the Borg-inspired irrational fear of the occult. My Mother freaked when she saw my sister's Uriah Heep album cover and called it "demonic".
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions
    that interesting, did the BORG push that alot in the 70's and 80's?
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    goingthruthemotionsThat's interesting, did the BORG push that alot in the 70's and 80's?

Very much so!
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    that interesting, did the BORG push that alot in the 70's and 80's?

My mother had us read an Awake! published in the early 80s that described a woman's supposed ordeal with a particular demon that stalked and killed her family members one by one. I remember the descriptions quite vividly. The demon left her alone, of course, once she discovered "the truth" and learned all about Jehovah.

It was like showing a child The Exorcist and telling him it was real.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

goingthruthemotions:

Why is she so freaked out by skeletons and skulls.

Some people are freaked out by that kind of thing. When I was a child I got a gift from my godfather that was a small medical model of a skeleton (He was a doctor). I didn't want to throw it away but I was so spooked that I turned it around so that it wouldn't be facing me. That was before I had anything to do with the Witnesses.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Somehow I picked this up (I'm only 30). I remember shopping for t-shirts and seeing one I liked that had a small skull somewhere on it and thinking that I couldn't buy it because of that. The thought was definitely because of the cult, but no idea where it originated from.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Yes, anything with a skull or skeleton on it was a no no with my mom. It's probably fear of the occult, but often cross and bones is pirate...I guess that's not ok either, tho :) adoration of naughtiness I suppose...

Im actually not sure what the obsession with skeletons is, in tattoos and on bikers jackets etc. what is the message? I know it's not occult...but is it trying to convey a lack of fear maybe? This demands research. And why is a pirates flag a skull?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Skeletons and skulls primarily come out on..........Halloween, the JW's favorite holiday (j/k). She probably equates them with what she sees as a demonic holiday. Not to mention death, which isn't exactly something pleasant.

There's a huge zombie walk going on here this weekend and we were invited to go and we just can't do it. I know that some JW's like zombies but our families in particular were uber conservative. My wife's family never even had a tv. So, we just aren't accustomed to that imagery. It makes us feel weird, though we know that it is definitely popular today. To each his/her own as long as they aren't forcing their view on others or hurting somebody.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Skulls and skeletons represent death. JWs fear death, and believe they can live forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit