Epigenetics and Why Women are Stripey

by cofty 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Take five minutes to learn something new today...

Here is a very brief introduction to epigenetics with an interesting practical example.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸
  • Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

@Cofty. Thanks for the education. I find genetics fascinating. I'd like to say, I enjoyed your experience in Edinburgh with the cart robots. I used to do this on a weekly basis, and ........, well, words fail me!

Also, like your avatar. I've seen that bridge. Cool.

• cofty
    cofty

Je.suis.oisif - If I could live my life again I think I would make a career in genetics.

If you ever get back to Berwick let me know. We will drink beer at The Curfew micro-pub.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Thanks cofty. The scary part is when he says that what your grandparents did might have an influence on what you do now.
  • cofty
    cofty

I was just reading an example of that recently concerning the effects of the famine in part of Holland during WWII and it's effect 2 generations later.

I still struggle to get my head round it.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    That is very good information. I became aware of the science of epigenetics a couple of years ago. I started researching in alternative medicine and fitness. Turns out there is a good amount of doctors and scientists that have been pointing to this as evidence that we are indeed what we eat and what we do or feel. Made me wonder about the whole understanding people had during biblical times regarding the sins of their fathers coming to get them later. I also became very aware of the role hormones play in our everyday life. No matter if you are male or female. The exciting part about this is the potential it has for reversing those pesky deceases that we get from our parents. Cancer, diabetes, etc. I doubt it though, that the medical field is going to invest the time and money this field deserves. There is no money in taking care of people. Modern medicine does not cure root causes, it manages symptoms.
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo

And there's me thinking I liked ice cream because it tastes nice,

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Fascinating. If I could do it all again, I might choose genetics, too, but it would be hard to choose. Math, cosmology, philosophy, immunology, lingusistics... dang, I wish I had more time.
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Don't want to distract the conversation to much but....

I have had a hard time imagining 6 billion letters of genetic code having evolved over the last 5 billion years... actually it is worse than that... Scientists would say modern life as we know it only goes back 500 million years. The complexity just boggles my mind.

Another thing that is fascinating to me... As far as I know genetics is digital NOT analog. The implication is that the information came first. DNA is just a representation of that information. If it was analog it would be much easier to say the DNA came first then the information came second.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit