It is NOT The Watchtower Society anymore?!?

by email 28 Replies latest jw friends

• email
    email

I don't know if this has been posted recently but...

I was just talking to a friend (a MS JW) that told me that he was told by the elders on a talk he was about to give that according to their last Elders School there are instructions NOT to use the terms "The Watchtower Society" or "The Society" or "The Organization" anymore... but rather to now ALWAYS use "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" or "The Slave"...

Do any of you know about this?... WHY?

Edited by - email on 15 January 2003 16:8:10

• ITguy
    ITguy

I've heard the expression "the branch" used instead of the "society" as well.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have not heard of the change either, but think about it. "The Society" "The Organization" sounds so cultish. It really does if you think about it.

But to refer to it as "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" makes me want to hurl!!

• undercover
    undercover

I've heard the term "headquarters" used before. I remember a brother introducing the visiting speaker from Bethel to me one time. He said, "Bro. X is visiting from headquarters." I replied, "You mean he's from heaven?!" I got a dirty look for that.

• jackal
    jackal

Could it be for legal reasons? In light of the recent spate of lawsuits against WTBTS, it might be an effort to obscure the connections between corporate headquarters and the actions of individual congregations. Imagine trying to explain the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" in a court of law. They'd think you were out of your mind.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Jackal: Those were exactly my first thoughts. A new subtle "brainwashing/indoctrination" tactic to slowly weed-out the money-bags-Watchtower/Society/Organization-Title from the minds of the R&F and anyone else, for that matter. If they can get all the "friends" to always think in terms of the FDS or Slave, naturally those words conjure up some poor, penniless elderly bros/sis. Also, like you describe, when in Court if any JW kept saying, "But the FDS/slave told us..." that would also confuse everyone in the courtroom, judge/jury/executioner; i.e., "Group of Old Men/religious leaders" v. "CORPORATION/Watchtower/CULT."

My second thought was they are suggesting this for the same reason they changed the baptismal vows = to CY(their)A.

LOL @ Undercover!

And Freedom96: Yes, to have to spit out the long phrase "Faithful and Discreet Slave" everytime one needs to refer to their religious leaders or where they get their belief-system, bah humbug, what a burden. If the WT lawyers/elders were really smart, they'd start telling everyone to use "Jesus" instead of WT/Society/HQ/Org/FDS.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I think the legal reason is right on. The "society" and "organization" are reasonably understood to refer to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, which is a legal entity that can be pinned down.

On the other hand, "the slave" means just about nothing. It is a short hand reference to a misapplied biblical parable. Witnesses know what it means, but a court doesn't.

This is yet another example of an insider/outsider doctrine. It looks one way to someone on the outside, but those on the inside know what it really means.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

*** w98 3/15 19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***
    In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovahs Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, the Society teaches, many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, the Bible says or, I understand the Bible to teach. In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. Of course, suggestions as regards terminology should never become a subject of controversy. After all, terminology is of importance only to the extent that it prevents misunderstandings. Christian balance is required. The Bible admonishes us not to fight about words. (2 Timothy 2:14, 15) The Scriptures also state this principle: Unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken?1 Corinthians 14:9.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Why is it, everytime I see something quoted from the "slaves" literature that I want to take a stack of old Watchtowers and Awakes down from the attic, make a little paper nest with the crumpled pages and take a big dump right in the middle of it? Can anyone explain?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Maybe it is your natural instinct for creating and adding to order...

When you see a pile of $#!+, you want to add to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit