Which country has the best comedy shows?

by sleepy 42 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yeah !!! England by a long shot "One foot in the grave""On the buses"Any of the "Carry On stuff"

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The British - definitely - especially Keeping Up Appearances - what a riot!

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

The British, no doubt about it. I live for British comedy, although the Canadians come in a close second. Must be a Commonwealth thing...

Cyrus

• Marcos
    Marcos

Ha and ha, riz,

Mexico wins.

two words- Sabado Gigante.

Sabado Gigante originates in Miami if I am not mistaken.

Actually, Mexico has some pretty good comedy. The program "Otro Rollo" is from Mexico City and broadcast nation-wide. The host, Adel Ramones, gives a one-hour monolog once a week that is topical and extremely funny. The middle class here laughs at about the same things that the people in other countries laugh at.

British and American comedy are BIG here. And, we get the humor. But, sub-titling sucks. I would love to be able to offer my services to the companies that do the sub-titling. They people in the US who do it don't even hear the dialog correctly.

Oh yeah, Sabado Gigante sucks too!

Love,

Marcos

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

If I could only watch one comedy show, it would be Monty Python, so the brits win there.

However, the US has done you one better when Drew Carey took over "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" MUCH funnier now.

I loved Faulty Towers but would put the Drew Carey Show well above it.

Benny Hill is a classic, but then again so is Red Skelton.

Canada did give us several comedians, but that's in reparation for Peter Jennings .

• riz
    riz

hi Marcos!

thanks for the correction. but hey, i was close!

i still think Sabado Gigante is hilarious, though. you can't beat a show where the audience spontaneously bursts into song. and the costumes! i think this show spawned the Bee Man from The Simpsons. aye carumba!

• Marcos
    Marcos

Dear riz,

Orale (right on!)

Interesting to note that the level of Spanish in the US is quite high. Actually, according to reports I have read, it is the second-largest Latin American country in the world, after Mexico! This in terms of native speakers. And has several "native" dialects.

Thanks for the correction. No harm, no foul.

Sabado Gigante can be fun. But is more of a "Caribean" Spanish show. Some or us "cuates" (Mexican Brothers) do get on though.

Ciao,

Marcos

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I guess it prefers what type of comedy you prefer.

If you like it dry, UK has it hands down......"Are you being Served" was always one of my favourites.

If it's slapstick, I agree with jgnat. Canada gets the vote. Steve Smith and the "Red Green Show", and do not forget we gave you Leslie Nielson .

• Nikita
    Nikita

I'll walk the fence and say both the U.S. and UK!

Here's another question, do American comedies translate very well in other languages? Example, I was in Vienna, Austria a couple of years ago and saw "The Nanny" and "Fresh Prince" in German. I wondered was Fran Drescher funny with a German accent? A big part of the comedy in her show is that nasal voice of hers!

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

I like south park.

Extremly funny is the scen in hell when a jehovas witness ask why he is in hell, and the hell director answers: "sorry you picked the wrong religion as well. I believe the rigth answer was the mormons, yes the mooormons were the correct answer"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit