Any theories why sudden growth in WTS?

by Mr Bean 34 Replies latest jw friends

• thewiz
    thewiz

one -goin' to the meetings is the ONLY reliable way to get your mags now, right? so while you're there you might as well participate more fully or make them participate.

two -every time world events even have a semblance to prophecy being fulfilled or things become dramatically changed (9/11, economic downturn, etc. ) there is an increase.

three -they must be scaring the shit outta them again.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    In my view, the only difference this time is the greater access to information via the internet. Will this forestall any changearound in Borg fortunes? I fear not, but here's hoping!

You're too much of a pessimist, Ozzie! WT fortunes are clearly tied to setting firm dates of the end. The end of the 1914 generation/year 2000 were the last dates the WT were brave enough to hint at. WT only grows when it's got a date to work towards. It doesn't have one now, and doesn't dare set one while we're around! Remember, from the firm date of 1925 to the firm date of 1975, it was fifty years before the WT could risk making such a firm prediction tied to a date. Too many people who remembered the last time were around until then.

Interesting what you said about the "revolving door" effect. While there are people always coming in, you can take a cavalier and macho attitude towards the flock. When less people are coming through the door, it's a sign you had better start appreciating and nurturing those who are loyal enough to stay. WT attitude is opposite of course. They're still running with the approach they learned in the good times and aren't prepared for the lean times. They're still using the "ride 'em hard, bully threaten and intimidate 'em, milk 'em for all they're worth" paradigm which has been known to work for them in better times. A dairy farmer whose livelihood depends on the herd he's got look after them carefully, providing for all their physical and other needs, so as to ensure the supply of milk. The WT is like some bizzarre farmer who continually deprives and over uses his herd until they run away. That's okay however, because this dairy farmer had learned from experience that over the hill would come running another herd which was fleeing from another harsh farmer. Apparently the suppply either of harsh farmers, or people who are willing to join their herds, is drying up. The WT, however, still hasn't figured out that continuing to whip and abuse the herd won't keep them in this paddock...

• longtimeout
    longtimeout

The new 15 min. "rule" has been a major factor contributing to this "sudden growth". Of course, it's only a stopgap remedy. The core problems contributing to it's malaise aren't going away. As the Borg once again becomes hard-pressed to bolster it's flagging membership, it'll resort to more creative accounting methods. There's plenty of wiggle room with the 15 minute rule. Can you see them reducing that threshhold requirement by 1 minute increments. I know this sounds crazy, but remember; you can't argue with "new light".

• Mary
    Mary

Growth? I only see decrease around here. I think in the last 10 years, only 3 people have actually come in from the world....everyone else is simply an offspring of Witnesses who are now grown and have families of their own.

I believe its called: fudging the figures.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Remember also that if an inactive one re-activates then that is counted as an increase because they werent being counted when they were inactive, then when they become active again, its like a whole new publisher even though they have been counted before. I think that 9/11 got some inactives feeling scared and they may have come back for awhile. I don't think it will last though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit