Do You Think That You'll Ever Heal & Recover?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Probably not. I usually feel so out of touch with everyone/everything. Like I'm going through the motions of living but not really LIVING. But, I'm never too depressed about it anymore thanks to those that have shown me that I wasn't the only one with doubts, that it wasn't "just me". Still, it isn't easy. Man, this could get really dark huh? I'd better shut up now! lol

• LB
    LB

Done deal. Only connection left is my JW son and he won't let the bastards affect our relationship.

• nilfun
    nilfun
    Do You Think That You'll Ever Heal & Recover?

Yes.

• Introspection
    Introspection

The specifics for each person is always going to be different, but generally yes, it's possible and has been done. One way I look at it is a willingness to change and perhaps more importantly, to be different. Sure, there's a lot of talk about being no part of the world among the JWs, but you sure are a part of the JW world! If you take one simple thing all the way - in this case just being yourself and not trying to fit in - it can free you. I don't even know if not fitting in makes much sense, ultimately. There is definitely a matter of not being a part of the mainstream, but what's so great about that anyways? We all fit in somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't exist. I guess another way of describing the same thing is just not trying to be something you're not. If you still get down and are not fully healed in that way, don't lie to yourself about that. But at the same time, there needn't be any judgement about it - if you're hurting you're hurting, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. You gotta go back to dubland to think that way.

• Mac
    Mac

Got over all that a long time ago............now I'm just a recovering heal!!

mac

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Already recovered. But there are scars. I kind of think of them as battle scars. But, like everyone else, they make up who I am. One of my therapists once told me that the pain will always be with you, but if you face it, deal with and then conquer it, the pain becomes less and less each year until one day it's the size of an atom. And it's true. I've been out for 14 years. The first few were pretty rough, and I was extremely fragile but gradually healing took place and the pain slowly ebbed. I still have bad days (who doesn't?), but overall I'm grateful for my life.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I think I've made progress in the time since I left, and I'm quite sure I'll make even more progress as the years go on. Like Mulan, I'd like to forget I was ever a Witness, but family ties prevent that. So I make the most of a bad situation.

In fact, I think I have been traumatised more by non-JW events than being a JW ever could have. Things like losing my mother as a child, then being abandoned by my father later on, have affected me more than anything to do with being a JW ever did. In fact, being a JW actually helped me get through the traumas I suffered.

I'm quite sure that if I hadn't been a JW, I may not be alive today.

(let the flames begin, hehe)

• enjoy
    enjoy

Yes and NO. I thought that I was healed and over them, and then it starts again. I feel that it will always be part of my life, but I am hoping just a distant memory...

• ugg
    ugg

i hope so,,,,but i do not see it happening in the near future.... the scars are real deep....

• scumrat
    scumrat

I don't know, it's very difficult to heal. I still live in the area where I was a dub and memories are too strong to overcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit