Do You Think That You'll Ever Heal & Recover?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

After reading so many touching personal stories of your lives , do you think that one day you will fully recover from being a Jehovah's Witness? Do you feel that in time, you will be able to heal? Will you ever be able to trust yourself and others?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    do you think that one day you will fully recover from being a Jehovah's Witness?

Probably not. I was one for 45 years, until I was 50. It made me who I am.

Will I recover from the way they hurt us? Of course. I would love to be able to forget they exist, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Do you feel that in time, you will be able to heal?

I sure hope so.

Will you ever be able to trust yourself and others?
    Yes, I am at that place now. I have always been way too trusting. That didn't change.
  • outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Absolutely!

It has taken some time, but I am very much a different person and letting go of the org. each day a little more.

For any of you who worry about this issue. Let me tell you it can and does get better. I can now look at the nonsense of the cult and usually laugh about it. I will see a jw in passing and no longer have any emotion other than I would have in seeing an unknown person.

I can now have sorrow for those still in the borg and wish them a way out. I can now associate with those awful worldly people and see all the good and kindness in them.

I can stand at the national anthem and salute the flag with out a feeling of guilt.

I can read here of someones mistreatment by the wbts and grieve for the victim and feel anger for the cult.

I can do most of the things that normal people do and it will get better.

Outoftheorg

• freedom96
    freedom96

I feel that I have recovered, however it was such a large part of my life I will always be affected by it.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Since meeting so many wonderful folks who post on this board, I think I will heal. Also havin a good apostofest once in a while sure helps. Mulan, come down to Dallas March 1,2. Would love to meet you and Big Red. Bug

• wednesday
    wednesday

I am nealy 50, and have been a JW all my life. I was a fringe JW howver, so at least i'm not totally screwed up. I have spent so many years punishing myself for not being a good jw, for not going to the meeting any longer. I know that will end at some point, and this board has gone a long way, along with slient lambs to that end. So, i'll heal to a degree, but my hubby is a jw, and i dont' see him totally leaving, and a few relatives are still in, so i son't see me ever truly free from it.

As Mulan said, it is a part of who i am, and all was not bad. So i hope to carry the good from it, and leave the bitterness and hate i feel toward them now, behind.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Absolutely! I have healed. It took time, but was worth all the effort. It comes down to self responsibility - how we choose to live our life today without the backlash of JWism controlling our thinking.

The willingness to continue prodding through all the mental and emotional garbarge heaped upon most of us does just one day vanish. My experience was all of a sudden it dawned on me that I was no longer being controlled by old thinking. The old stinkin' thinkin' that can keep our mind enslaved.

I'm a firm believer in recovery. It's possible, but we must do the necessary work. And what worked for me might not work for another. The point being...finding your own comfort zone..stop comparing ourselves to others in how recovery is going to work. When we work it, it works for us.

Celebrate LIFE.

granny; of the "glad I hung in there" class. The rewards are too numerous to mention.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

STEVEN HASSAN "Releasing the Bonds Empowering People to Think for Themselves" along with the good folks on this Forum and the many other sources that have been available through the friends on this site has helped me on to the road to recovery.

I'm still emotionally torn apart.Because what has happened to me has also happened to my family and friends and the many others whose life stories I have read here and from Free Minds that Randy Watters has sent to me.

Its been a number of years now since I have come to realize where I have been,where I am now, and the uncertainty of where I am going. Thanks everyone for your Love and Concern. Blueblades

• minimus
    minimus

Regarding those that have been "out" for many years, there are some that seem to never let things go. It's as if they can't. Some who have been put in jail, suffered intense persecution, or lost a loved one due to silly policies are so bitter and hurt that they have been betrayed by the Witnesses.It is truly understandable to see the bitterness and anger that engulfs certain ones. I hope that any that are suffering because of the lies of the Watchtower will eventually find some lasting comfort. Healing takes time. For those that have responded that they are doing great, keep up the fine work here. We appreciate your encouragement!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yes recovery is possible

Will I be the way I was before (or should have been without) it. No everything I do yesterday and today affects who I am tomorrow

Recovery takes time and a lot of work. We can walk away from it but it takes work to get it out of us. I often like recovery to peeling an onion. Each layer has it's own experiences, thoughts and feelings. As we struggle through each layer of the onion we get to cry a little and release a little more of the pain and anger. Sorting out one layer from another can be a challenge sometimes - requiring more tears.

But eventually we get to the core - our real self - which is sweet

And for all the anger and pain I deal with I become stronger. There is a book about recovery from sexual abuse called "Cry hard and swim" It took me a long time to realize the meaning of the title. Swimming through a river of tears has made me stronger. A lot of work os needed but I'm one heck of a swimmer now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit