Do You Think That You'll Ever Heal & Recover?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It's so true that being a JW means living in JW World. You must accept every component of "the life", or else the "theocratic mafia" will get you. I actually have very few good friends that are Witnesses. Most of my best friends are either "worldly" or "apostate". So for me, healing hasn't really taken place, yet. But your comments tell me what I could expect.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think I have pretty much recovered, however I still cringe when I hear my family members talk about it. Guess that will always be the case. I certainly don't want to cringe, I just want to pretend I don't care one way or the other. Like I don't feel guilty if you say something to me or get angry with the comment. Just ask like their comments are nothing to me. Healing just takes time and it's not an overnight process.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

I was only a dub for 12 years so I recovered from that quite well.

there is a small scar that will heal over but will never go away, that scar is the trust that was lost. And the love that I thought would never part, was only conditional, A young mom that found us from this board, whom we know the family, is DF and shunned by them, so I feel her pain and in a sense then it's a new wound.

• JH
    JH

I think that everybody would recover, if the JW's organization would just drop dead.

• shera
    shera

I hope we all can.

I have started going to a x-JW get togethers,once a month.We talk and discuss our feelings and what it has done to our lives.The first meeting I went to,there was a few sad stories.Fathers loosing their children because they started to question the WTS.I felt so sad for them.One young woman,was never baptized and her mother still shunned her.

I have not been threw the worst I could have been,but I have issues with controling my own life.If I feel I am loosing control,I don't even know how to explaine it.Sometimes I think I need a professional to have a nice little chat with. I will not let this rule my life.I will get better...with time.

• b_ster
    b_ster

NO.

Unless my family come out...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

When I was 22 years old, I was a scared, lonely and bitter young man. JW's came along, and it was like a drug, and I became a JW junkie in no time flat. Now that I've left, I still have me to deal with. I joined the WT to escape from my hated self.

I'm recovering, but it is taking time. Self-esteem and approval-seeking issues still dog me. I'm reading some good books that are helping me though.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to vote, I am still totally cynical about politics. If I ever do vote, it will just be going into the booth and voting democrat straight down the line. On the other hand, I celebrated Xmas this past December and me birthday in November and felt no pangs of guilt whatsoever.

I think I'm doing pretty well considering I've been out less than a year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit