Praying In Restaurants

by Englishman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

I sure never did. I found it emberassing and showed undue attention to yourself!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Frankly, I'm astonished at how many respondents here favor praying at restaurants; my preference is for personal, private prayer; and Jesus' words, cited by Blondie, have conditioned me to be cynical about prayers in public.

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

I always pretended like I was fiddling or adjusting my silverware or something casual as I said my thanx to jah for my Denny's Grand Slam . . .

I met with the x wife (still a JW) recently who is the kook hyppocrite beeeotch from hell in order to discuss some child related issues. We sat in a Denny's and she bowed her head like some damn pious Pharisee. I interrupted her in mid prayer to ask her if she had fallen asleep in her pancakes . . . she shot me her best go to hell look which made me smile.

H

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll pray anywhere if the need arises. I got over my inhibations on this a long time ago, after hanging out with radical Jesus Freaks. But I dont' stand up, sing, do a jig, or even clasp hands if it would be obvious to neighbours. I forget to pray before I eat most times. My poor memory is a seive these days.

I got in to this habit of praying anywhere because I found my "I'll pray for you" was becoming a trite phrase. Often I would forget later to pray for that person. I wanted "I'll pray for you" to be genuine. I wanted my prayer to touch the listener, and for them to feel God at work for them. So I stopped saying "I'll pray for you" and I started saying, "Let's pray about that right now." And then I did it.

Of course, I respect the feelings of the pray-ee. Once in a food court my girlfriend threatened to dive under the table if I started praying right there.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I hated the whole silent prayer thing before I ate. I never prayed for my food at home, or when I was out on my own eating. Then we'd be at Robins' Donuts (field service break), I'd be starvin, and I'd take a bite out of my donut. I see others praying and my mother would nudge me. Then I'd be like "oh shit, yeah". I'd then bow my head and thankfully pray for my Cruller.

• gentlesoul
    gentlesoul

I offer my prayer of thanks no matter where I am at when I eat. My gal and I pray before we eat at each meal. I am not a JW nor have I ever been but I still give thanks when thanks is due. I am not embarrassed by it either like mouthy say`s I am not ashamed of my Lord as he is not ashamed of me. And if someone has a problem with me praying in public ? I suggest they go get ear plugs cause I'm a gonna doit anyway...God has given me plenty and I can only show my grattitude by saying Thank You. Let them throw there stones mouthy they only hurt for a moment and then we see Jesus............

• gumby
    gumby

Hows come when your upright, you have to bow your head when praying.....but lying in bed you don't?

Silly little question.....but it is a thought.

Gumby

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Englishman,

Perhaps a couple of times I did in the past. These days I don't even bother, and find it quite silly when I see people do this. I guess I've lost most of my spirituality that way.

I give a sincere general prayer each morning when I get up and that covers all events to take place for the day. In my heart, I think this is enough.

DY

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

This brings back bad memories. When I was in grade school once a year the parents could come have lunch with their kids at school. I dreaded this time of year because my mom would always come. We would be in the cafateria and she would say a loud prayer. Of course she would use the word Jehovah and pray for paradise. It was humilating.

Now she says silent prayers when she is with me on the very rare occassion that we share a meal. She still manages to find ways to embarrass me like by witnessing to the cashier and waitress. She once got on to me for ducking my head down when she got up to give a magazine to the cashier. I was 21 y/o when I got that lecture and long out of the org and her house.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

All,

In the meetings I must attend these days, while doing my slow fade you know, many times I find myself dozing off during the prayer. Isn't that just awful? Where has my spirituality gone?

That's it, I'm going straight to hell in a hand basket!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit