Praying In Restaurants

by Englishman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

When you were a JW, how did you manage to say your "Thank you's" before eating in a public place?

Or didn't you bother?

Englishman.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I find it annoying when i'm at a restaurant and the group at the next table stands up, holds hands, and sings their prayer.
    What religion is that anyway. I'm like I came here for a quiet dinner, not for a noisy performance. This happens to me like two or three times a year at various restaurants.

Perhaps I'm being intolerant, but I really just want to stand up and applaud loudly when they do that.
    I mean, why else would they be doing it but to be showy?

I always said mine in my head. "Gawd" can read minds ya know.

• Matty
    Matty

I didn't like to draw too much attention to myself. Though there was always that nagging conscience thing in the back of my mind which always said "Are you ashamed of Jehovah your God, why are you being so quiet and discreet?".

• JH
    JH

Praying should be done in your own privacy at home, when no one is wathching.

Praying in public is like giving a show.

• ISP
    ISP

I came across it New York in a Korean restaurant. It was full of Koreans ( I guess ) even the menu was in korean. Some guy said a prayer next table to us.

I was one for those silent prayers with ya eyes open when I was in dubland.

ISP

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I was never very good at praying. I got into the habit of repeating myself...so much so that if I happened to close my eyes whilst sitting somewhere (anywhere), I'd start involuntarily praying.

I was a "close my eyes and say it in my head quickly" type.

• ugg
    ugg

i didn't......i can remember being the only person sitting at a table with out bowing my head...i just did not pray in public....

• AnotherEscapee
    AnotherEscapee

Wolfgirl that is so funny - close your eyes and involuntarily pray, did I laugh when i read that! But i'm with you i too used say it in my head at top speed.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I never bothered. In fact, I only prayed for food when other dubs were present, but never in restaurants.

My friend however, always did. One time we were visiting another congregation, and we stayed in a hotel, where we also had our breakfast. So, my friend gets her plate put before her on the table, and she immediatle bows her head, and starts praying. Anyway, the waiter, only saw her bowing her head, and from his point of view it looked as if she was staring onto her plate. So, he comes back to our table, and asks her if something is wrong. She however, did not respond, cause she was praying. The waiter ask again, leans over trying to see if something is wrong with her food, him being a bit more concerned. She still does not respond. Finally, he looks at me, but I was of no help, I was LMAO.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

I never did talk to myself, I mean pray, before eating. It's a ritual, nothing more.

Stan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit