Counsellor needed please!

by stuckinarut2 26 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hi All.

I have noticed that many of our forum members have sought professional help from counsellors who deal with ones like us who have broken free from high control groups or "cults".

My self esteem has been rocked by recent events in the cong, and while I know TTATT it still has taken my joy in life away quite a bit.

As you all know, mentally I broke free from the org several years ago, but now that I am trying to start making the physical break, I feel really unsettled and nervous.

I wonder if a good counsellor could assist in helping me clarify and sort my feelings and emotions , and provide help to take practical steps to cut all ties with the org?

If anyone can provide ideas of good counsellors, it would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

• KateWild
    KateWild

It depends where you are based. I have found in the UK most psychologists and therapists are greatly under qualified and just blame the parents, they have no idea about cults.

In the US however I have heard better experiences.

You are in Oz aren't you? I think many have had success there too.

I hope you can break free one step at a time Stuck.

Take care

Kate xx

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks Kate. I appreciate your support and kind words.

Yes, Im in Australia.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Hang in there stuck,  remember you are a person, not a function, so removal of the title of MS doesn't diminish you.

I hooked up with a counselor when my shit storm happened and it was very helpful to have face time with someone who just allowed me to talk without judging me. 

Be strong, and don't let the bastards get to you. Your life, your decision, everyone else will just have to deal!

• happy@last
    happy@last

I found help was referred by my doctor, but I have also visited a homeopath who gave me 'potions' to help my nerves and help me think properly, and I went to a lady that performed what she called Mind Detox which was also helpful.

In all these cases you need to click with them so you can relax and concentrate on getting yourself better

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

My wife and I are fading very fast now, and our counsellors are not only each other, but also countless people in forums like this who can give first-hand, practical help and guidance - thanks to their personal experience.

From my 100% naive & inexperienced stance, I'd rather trust all of the aforementioned than an "outsider" who had little or no grasp of the machinations of the Org.

Just my personal opinion - everyone will do what seems best for themselves.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Stuck...i just started see my councellor. i find it easier to talk with a woman than a man, and she knows who the jwdubs are and she agrees they are a cult. when i found her she targets stuff like life coaching and religion issues. she has been very helpful. they won't solve your problem for you. but, they will give a non judgemental listening ear and advice on what they think might be the best path to take.  but, ultimately it boils down to me.

also i am prepping for maybe the enivitible divorce....once i stop going and fully reject the cult. i have already rejected it. right now i am just going thru the motions. my wife has told me she will choose the BORG over me.

i have always given her unconditional love and support...but i guess nothing like the washtowel will give.

well atleast she will get the support and unconditional love she thinks they will give her. 

but like i said, i find it easier to talk with a woman and life coach counsellor.

joining this cult was the worse mistake of my life....if i could turn back time!

shalom

• flipper
    flipper

STUCKINARUT- Yeah, I would try to research the Internet in your country- in your particular area to find a really good counselor who UNDERSTANDS how mind control cults work. As Katewild stated, many don't. But there are some good counselors who DO understand and are up to date on the latest concerning high control organizations and how the mental crap gets put into a person. I wish you the best in finding a good counselor. And of course we are your friends here who will always support you- don't forget that. If you ever want to talk or PM me I'm here as a friend to you, O.K. ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    The psychologist I went to specialized in PTSD and was a perfect match for me. I suspect a counsellor or psychologist who specializes in PTSD would be a good match for any ex-cult member, even if they don't fully understand the cult's beliefs.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While there is nothing wrong with a counselor who understands cults, I find that they are rare.  Luckily, our cult experiences are similar to addictions and being in relationships to abusers or being enablers to an addict, depending on our involvement and history.  
    I found that my problems could be dealt with by a great counselor that really did not know anything about Jehovah's Witnesses, as long as I made sure that I learned.  In other words, my counselor would help me on my already set path to be a former JW and help me with my issues.  

So you can start with counselors that come highly recommended via the internet in your area, or if you really really want someone with some knowledge of cults, you can start with a visit to freedomofmind.com   and experts there can find experts in your own area to help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit