Is the bible inspired?

by JH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

What part of the bible do you think is pure invention, and what part do you think is true.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I'd say it is valid as a cultural document, and some of it has artictic merit, and is a useful historical tool. I think there is obviously some parts that are pure invention, and many parts where a true story has been embroidered and slant to a particular aim.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I know its not a popular way to think, but Ive come to the point where I think we have God totally wrong...no matter what holy book you pick up from what religion. From the beginning of mankind, man has always tried to bring to his level of understanding things that cannot be understood by mere mortals. I believe the Bible is a compilation of cultures, mostly run by men who thought little of women, not inspired by anything more than an active imagination seeking to find a savior from their reality. Jesus was a real man, but beyond that he was, to me anyway, a very charismatic, well read, understanding and compassionate man, who was born into a time when his people needed somebody ANYBODY to give them hope.

Its a good behavioral guide, mostly archaic and outdated tho.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I ditto Abaddon. The Bible is no doubt even to we agnostics and atheists one of the most influential books of all time. But so is the Koran. Who is to say if either is inspired by a God. Most I think is pure invention (flood, virgin birth, resurrection of dead ones), but it still has some good points too.

• YERU2
    YERU2

I think it's spiritually true, reads history in hind sight, and invents some stories to make a spiritual point.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Scholars and historians know that the early stories like creation and the flood were taken from earlier oral traditions and mythologies. The Mosaic laws and codes were to keep the early nation of Israel in line. I believe that Jesus was a wise sage that lived some 2 thousand years ago but was defied only some yeas after his death so that the early Christian movement was to survive. The Bible is only a book no more inspired than the Koran, Book of Mormons or any other religious holy book.

Will

• Stefanie
  • yucca
    yucca

how did david know jesus bones would not be broken which was custom of romans? ps. 34:20 john 19:32,33 how did micah know jesus would be born in bethlehem? mic. 5:2 how did isaiah know jesus would be born of a virgin? is.7:14 how did jer.know the babies would be slaughtered trying to kill jesus as a babe? jer. 31:15 fulfilled matt 2:16,17.18. how did Malachi (mal 3:1) know about forerunner before christ John the baptist. how did Isaiah know christ would be rejected? Is. 53:3 how did zech. 9:9 know jesus would ride into jerusalem riding a lowly ass? how did david Ps. 41:9 know Jesus would be betrayed by a friend? luke 22:47,48. how did zech. 11:12 know it would be for 30 pieces of silver? matt. 26:15 how did Is 53:7 know that jesus would be silent against his accusers Mark 15:4,5. how did Is.50:6 know they would spit on jesus Matt 26:67 how did David know soldiers would gamble for his coat? Ps.22:17,18 matt 27:35,36 How did Is.53:9 know Jesus would be buried with the rich when he should have been buried with the poor? Matt 27:57-60.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

What are you trying to say Stefanie?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Yucca-

Some believe that many things were written after the fact. . . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit