Is the bible inspired?

by JH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

There is a major conflict in the teachings recorded in the Bible. Some ideas lead to peace and some lead to anxiety. Why is this? Well, those that lead to peace have a Buddhist sense and those that lead to anxiety have a Jewish Messianic sense. Under one set of ideas time is irrelevent while under the other set time is of the essence. Some have noted that this is a result of Alexandria being a Buddhist Center at the time Jesus and his family were in Egypt. Do you recall how difficult it was to " not be anxious over anything " and yet to " keep working out your own salvation with fear and trembling" ?

• Introspection
    Introspection

Siddha, that is very interesting. I would make one observation though, and that is from the perspective of awareness peace and anxiety are only states of mind, and states are by nature temporary and time-bound.

• rem
    rem

yucca,

how did david know jesus bones would not be broken which was custom of romans? ps. 34:20
    Psalms 34 19 A righteous man may have many troubles,
    but the LORD delivers him from them all;
    20 he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.

Please explain how this is a prophecy about Jesus. There is no indication in the verse in question that 1) it is a prophecy, and 2) talking about the messiah.

Even if this were a real prophecy, there is no external evidence to verify it. Using the Bible to prove the Bible is circular reasoning. Check in to Logic 101.

how did micah know jesus would be born in bethlehem? mic. 5:2

Micah 5

"Now muster yourselves in troops, daughter of troops;
    They have laid siege against us;
    With a rod they will (1) smite the judge of Israel on the cheek.
    "But as for (2) you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
    Too little to be among the clans of Judah,
    From (3) you One will go forth for Me to be (4) ruler in Israel.
    His goings forth are (5) from long ago,
    From the days of eternity."
    Therefore He will (6) give them up until the time
    When she (7) who is in labor has borne a child.
    Then the (8) remainder of His brethren
    Will return to the sons of Israel.
    And He will arise and (9) shepherd His flock
    In the strength of the LORD,
    In the majesty of the name of the LORD His God.
    And they will remain,
    Because at that time He will be great
    To the (10) ends of the earth.
    This One (11) will be our peace.
    When the (12) Assyrian invades our land,
    When he tramples on our citadels,
    Then we will raise against him
    Seven shepherds and eight leaders of men.
    They will (13) shepherd the land of Assyria with the sword,
    The land of (14) Nimrod at its entrances;
    And He will (15) deliver us from the Assyrian
    When he attacks our land
    And when he tramples our territory.

The Bethlehem spoken about here is a person, not a place. (First Chronicles 2:51, 54, 1 Chronicles 2:50) Also, this scripture is clearly speaking about a contemporary situation regarding Assyria, predicting a great military leader who would be victorious over the oppressor. This is actually an unfulfilled prophecy.

Even if you do twist the meaning of the scripture to support a messianic prophecy interpretation there is no external evidence to verify it.

how did isaiah know jesus would be born of a virgin? is.7:14

Isaiah 7 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you [1] a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and [2] will call him Immanuel. [3]

First of all, when was Jesus ever called Immanuel? Second, do some research on the word 'virgin' used here and you will find that it is a common mistranslation. The Hebrew word used was `almah. This word means young woman and does not have the connotation of a virgin. In fact, the way the word is used at Proverbs 30:19 strongly suggests a non-virgin. Here is a commentary on this scripture from Harper's Bible Dictionary (Paul J, Achtemeier, gen. ed., 1985), page 419:

It is clear, however, that... Isaiah 7:14 did not speak of the miraculous birth of Jesus centuries later.... The sign of Immanuel offered by the prophet to Ahaz had to do with the imminent birth of a child, of a mother known to Ahaz and Isaiah, and signified God's presence with his people....

Even if you could twist the meaning of the word 'almah to mean virgin (and you ignore the reference to 'Immanuel') and you can prove that this is, in fact, a messianic prophecy, there is no external evidence to verify it.

how did jer.know the babies would be slaughtered trying to kill jesus as a babe? jer. 31:15

Jeremiah 31
    15 This is what the LORD says:

"A voice is heard in Ramah,
    mourning and great weeping,
    Rachel weeping for her children
    and refusing to be comforted,
    because her children are no more."

16 This is what the LORD says:

"Restrain your voice from weeping
    and your eyes from tears,
    for your work will be rewarded,"
    declares the LORD .
    "They will return from the land of the enemy.
    17 So there is hope for your future,"
    declares the LORD .
    "Your children will return to their own land.

Please explain how this is a prophecy about Jesus. This scripture is clearly talking about a contemporary event. How do the following verses referring to the children returning to the land apply to the alleged messianic prophecy?

Even if you do twist the meaning of the scripture to support a messianic prophecy interpretation there is no external evidence to verify it.

I could go on and on, but it is clear that you have never really read any of these scriptures in context or done any real research on them. Try as you might, you will not be able to find one 'messianic prophecy' that stands close inspection.

rem

• seedy3
    seedy3

It always amazes me when Christians try to point to Isaiah 7:14 as propheticof Jesus. if htey take the time to read the few verses in front of 14 you will see that Immanual (with an E if you prefer) was to be born in the time of Ahaz, not time time of Herod. I will quote it here:

7:10
    Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,
    7:11
    Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
    7:12
    But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
    7:13
    And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
    7:14
    Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

This was a sign for Ahaz to know he would prevail in a war that he was at the time losing.

Rem is quite correct in that the word used here in hebrew means "Young woman" not virgin. The word for virgin is bethulah, the word used here is almah.

MIcha 5:2 refers as Rem put it to a man or even a clan of people. if you refer to 1 Cronicles 4:4, you will see his name appear again along with his fathers name.

4:4
    And Penuel the father of Gedor, and Ezer the father of Hushah. These are the sons of Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah, the father of Bethlehem

Jermiah chapter 31:15 has abosolutly nothing to do with the slaughter of the children in Bethlehem. It refers to the deportation of the young people from Jerusalem to Babylon, by Nebby baby the king. Read the rest of the scriptures after 15, and you will see the return of the children.

Malichi was in no way a fulfilled by John the Babtist, John FLATLY denied he was Elijah and in Malachi 4:1&5 it says the messenger will be Elijah and it would be as an oven afterwards

4:1
    For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
    4:5
    Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD

I dunno, but I don;t have time to go through the rest of them, but I would guess that when the writers of these gospels were putting it to pen, they were grasping at straws to show that Jesus was the messiah.

Seedy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit