Interesting phenomena regarding Witnesses

by JamesThomas 35 Replies latest jw friends

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    For me, a life of brokenheartedness, confusion and sadness festered from being poisoned from a very young and innocent age. Being force fed -- by well meaning parents -- an understanding and belief in a God that would certainly kill me if I did not love Him..... THE ULTIMATE CATCH-22!!!

Noticed this was an older topic, but I am glad it popped about again. I didn't know your story Thomas, though I have read a lot of your more recent posts. You brought out some good points here and things I have been pondering lately if I am ever called to give a defense (or forced to) which is most likely. In the end it all seems like such a self serving religion. Not only do you have to serve the WT God in order to save your neck--you have to cut others off who won't serve that God because he will destoy you are human enough to show unconditional love--even to your own family (if they are out of the faith).

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Thank you all for you comments here.

Surprised to see this post has come back a couple times, yet, not surprised. Not surprised because we all share a deeper unifying truth that hurts with discomfort and sadness when confronted with beliefs and actions which breed exclusivity and separation (some may be more sensitive to this than others). Like lifting a fish out of the water, beliefs of separation remove us from our true-nature, and can make us feel as if we are dying.

Perhaps this is why for ages the wise have always advised that we silent the mind: beliefs, concepts, judgments, ideas and thoughts, and go for a time into the deep unending silence that remains. Diving into the waters of our true and unclouded being ...... awaits a treasure of discovery of what we really, really are.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I enjoyed reading this, and it is worth bringing to light again.

BTS

• carla
    carla

Excellent post. Would you say that jw's suffer from Stockholm syndrome then?

• halcyon
    halcyon

First of all, I think the statement "anything that works on reward/punishment breeds fear/greed" is absolutely profound! (for other areas of my life)

This was great and I'm glad it's been found again and brought forward. I need to read it through again when I have more time. I do remember that when my big brother was disfellowshipped for a short time, my heart turned against him and hated him for making my mother cry. I never did repair that relationship fully. Looking back on it now, I grieve. He has never been super strong as a JW, but he hangs on just enough to now make ME a bad influence on him.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

this is a nice way to bring in the new year

• still_in74
    still_in74
    For me, a life of brokenheartedness, confusion and sadness festered from being poisoned from a very young and innocent age. Being force fed -- by well meaning parents -- an understanding and belief in a God that would certainly kill me if I did not love Him..... THE ULTIMATE CATCH-22!!! No matter how hard we may try. No way! No how! Is it possible to TRULY LOVE something that threatens you with death and destruction if you don't! And when that is your Creator and Source...YOUR TOTALLY SCREWED! The only way to continue (without waking up) is to stick your head deeeeep in the sand. Stay in your mind and out of your heart, and die spiritually.

good observation. Oh, and I also agree about the allegorical comment. Thanks for the BTTT

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    good observation.

That struck me as well.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Good thread....thanks for the BTTT Burn!

• mavie
    mavie

I miss JamesThomas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit