Interesting phenomena regarding Witnesses

by JamesThomas 35 Replies latest jw friends

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

James Thomas quote: "I don't even want to get into how UN-Christian it seems; because it doesn't even seem human."

Touche'! Very interesting thread and I'm glad I finally saw it, thanks for the bump, Burn.

Another wonderful quote by James Thomas that is worth ruminating upon:
    "Perhaps this is why for ages the wise have always advised that we silent the mind: beliefs, concepts, judgments, ideas and thoughts, and go for a time into the deep unending silence that remains. Diving into the waters of our true and unclouded being ...... awaits a treasure of discovery of what we really, really are."

• poppers
    poppers

Thanks for bringing this back - it's nice reading anything JamesThomas has posted here, even if it is from years ago. Bless you, James, wherever you are.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

This is a great thread with an outstanding opening post. JamesThomas, you have expressed things very articulately. Everything you write is the truth.

And, yes, those of us that were raised in the JW religion all suffer from Stockholm Syndrome and it's aftermath.

It is so good to read all your comments and be among people that understand the horrible family-killing and soul-killing effects of this cult.

• LDH
    LDH

I'm pretty much an Athiest now, however I find it highly ironic that the JWs themselves fulfill the scripture that they love to quote.

The have "no natural affection." None. If raised in this religion, from the time you are a small child, you learn that as soon as an announcement is made about someone being disfellowshipped, that person must become invisible to you. It doesn't matter if you spoke to them every day for ten years, they are suddenly the walking dead.

Instead of doing as they claim their Lord Jesus did, go in search of the one sheep, hell, they close the fence on the one stray sheep who is lost and alone outside of the only home they've known.

My husband summed it up succintly when I met him, he said, Yes, the JW religion teaches you to kick people when they are down. They don't teach you to love people. He said, when people make mistakes, or bad decisions, that's when they are most in need of love and support, not being thrown under the bus.

Yep, that was 15 years ago and I decided he was right. No one in that church really loved me. They never called to see if I was dead or alive.

Non-human indeed.

• StAnn
    StAnn

"A religion based on punishment/reward breeds fear/greed." Not an exact quote, but the gist is there.

I hadn't thought of this before but I would say that most Dubs are very greedy. They want to live in the nicest homes they see out in field service (after the Big A) and they give very little money to charity. It's all about them and what they're going to get for themselves in the "New World." And they're willing to eat their young to get it.

Very insightful post, thanks for the bttt, Burn.

StAnn

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Reminds me of 2 Timothy 3:1-5

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, truce breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, high minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

"Without natural affection", as in not having the parental instinct that any decent human would have, to love your children and protect them from harm. Offering them up as a blood sacrifice to a bloodthirsty god is the worst manifestation of this, turning your back on them is a lesser manifestation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit