Elderly widows targeted, convinced to sign over Power of Attorney and Personal Representative of Estate

by Stop.the.abusers 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Stop.the.abusers
    Stop.the.abusers
    The sad thing, Smiddy, is that I've tried numerous media, 60 minutes, NPR, local TV stations, investigative journalists, local papers. No one seems to want to take on this story. I'm not sure why, when I have so much evidence.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pressuring old and dying JWs to bequeath their kids' and grandkids' inheritance to the Society instead?

Jeezus, that's low even for them.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Stop.the.abusers3 hours agoThe sad thing, Smiddy, is that I've tried numerous media, 60 minutes, NPR, local TV stations, investigative journalists, local papers. No one seems to want to take on this story. I'm not sure why, when I have so much evidence.
    Welcome StopTA.
    I reckon it's because in the grand scheme of things, JWs are a tiny insignificant cult that no one is remotely interested in.
    The WBT$ made us believe they were high profile in the world. Ask the average person in the street whatt hey think of JWs and the reply will vary along the lines of, 'I have a favourite mad aunty that's one' to 'Meh.'
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I can imagine that nobody wants to prosecute or cover the story because there really is no evidence. People regularly visited a woman who broke her hip and health went downhill in her mid-90's. She clearly stated she wanted to stay at home and did not seem unhappy with her care.

The real story is that she should not have to suffer while ill, especially with so much money in the bank. But prosecutors will assume this is about money and inheritance instead of the neglect in the report.

I am confident that you are right. I just try to see the other sides of a matter. It sounds like you would be happiest to see these vultures found guilty of a crime more so than getting an inheritance. It doesn't seem that you will get that.

• OzGirl
    OzGirl

Nanette - I'm sorry to hear about what your grandaunt has been through.

I like the suggestion from ABibleStudent.

• flipper
    flipper
    STOP the ABUSERS- I'm proud of you for seeking justice on behalf of your aunt and I believe Smiddy has a good idea to get some teeth behind this in your media where you live. It will get some allies on your side by bringing it out in the media - and you may be surprised in a large way how much support you receive to expose these crimes. You are doing well dotting your " I"'s and crossing your " T" s in getting details documented and saved in your pursuit of justice. We are with you my friend. We support you all the way. Hang in there, and take care. Good luck to you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • flipper
    flipper
    Another thing you might try doing if the media isn't helping you enough- is to consult with an attorney that specializes in abuse of the elderly. Get some advice from them on how to proceed. Also any of the senior adult protective agencies in your area- like Ombudsmen - usually have GREAT advice as they are appointed to watch over the welfare of senior citizens to prevent abuse. I realize your aunt is already gone- however- an Ombudsman assisted me greatly with advice in dealing with my aged mom and pointed me to the right local governmental agencies to work with. I wish you the best. Hopefully some of these folks can explain options to you
  • Stop.the.abusers
    Stop.the.abusers

Onthewayout, I understand your devil's advocate response "I can imagine that nobody wants to prosecute or cover the story because there really is no evidence. People regularly visited a woman who broke her hip and health went downhill in her mid-90's. She clearly stated she wanted to stay at home and did not seem unhappy with her care."

Actually, my aunt never stated herself that she wanted to stay home instead of go to the hospital that day; it was the "Power of Attorney" who made the statement FOR MY AUNT as the doctor quoted. The doctor also noted that my aunt was slurring her words and had numb extremities, all side effects of anti-psychotic drugs. A blood test taken that day showed more than 7 abnormal results. Further, the legal "Power of Attorney" stated under oath that she was in another state at the time of the doctor's appointment--it was another JW who was speaking for my aunt posing as the legal power of attorney. The aide also told police that when she found my aunt collapsed that day from a weekend of neglect and an overdose of pain meds, a JW had called her from my aunt's home to find out where my aunt's pain medication was kept--then all the pain medication was missing when the aide returned that Monday. Then the legal Power of Attorneys immediately put my aunt into home hospice through the hospice organization where ONE OF THEM WORKED, without a doctor's examination, and listing on the application that my aunt was allergic to Ibuprofen when she was not, yet was highly allergic to two common antibiotics, after literally charging my aunt to review her charts while she was in rehad, and with one of them a registered nurse; further, both were listed as her healthcare surrogates on JW documents, where my aunt's allergies were clearly documented. Then there's the fact that they kept telling hospice nurses over the phone that they were my aunt's daughter and granddaughter (she was childless) and not to send a social worker for a week (my aunt was dead before the week was out. They had days to starve my aunt until the first nurse arrived, and then my aunt was drugged during that visit so she couldn't answer any questions. There's so much more evidence...

I wish I could have filed a wrongful death lawsuit, but I didn't have all the documentation I needed for almost two years --and there's is a 2 year statute of limitation--I couldn't find a lawyer to take it on contingency before the time was up--and it would have been too costly to pursue on my own. The WT and JWs know all this and that's why they get away with this abuse scheme over and over...

Be well!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    At least one estate ( thought not much of one) was lost for the borg. An elderly relative of my husband, who proclaimed a couple years ago that he was leaving everything he has to the society" and has it all set up, evidently changed his mind since that time. He recently passed away and not one cent went to "the society". He seemed fully indoctrinated, but I suspect that was a bit of a "mask". Hiding what he really felt, but afraid to change from a lifetime of involvement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit