Which Watchtower teachings lack logic?

by sleepy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

1) If a person dies before Armageddon without ever hearing the Truth (TM), he will be resurrected. If he lives in a remote area and never has a chance to hear the truth, he will survive Armageddon, because everyone deserves a chance.

But, if you preach to a person and he doesn't listen (99.9% of the world), we will be murdered. So, why preach? If they just shut up, everyone would survive.

2) We must abstain from blood. We cannot eat weiners that have blood in them. Yet, we can take medical treatments that are made completely from blood. (Factor VIII, Factor IX, Rogham) We can accept hemoglobin, but we must reject red cells (which are almost totally hemoglobin).

3) We can take things made from blood into our body, yet we cannot donate blood to make the things that we use.

4) You cannot be disfellowshipped for voting, but if you vote, you are disassociated, which is exactly the same as disfellowshipping.

• happyout
    happyout

I actually have an issue with the whole creation theory as told in the Bible. God made the angels perfect, right? Then he made man, and man was perfect, right? So where did evil come in?? It's not "free will" as I have heard some people say, because you can't choose something you have no idea exists. So, why and how did Satan come into being? Once that is explained in a way that makes sense to me, let's talk about the whole "God was looking for Adam, and he hid". I'm sorry, did you say the omnipotent one could not find his lowly creature?? And why did this omnipotent one need to set a test for a perfect being anyway??? And why did God not know that Satan had turned evil, and immediately destroy him before he could do any wrong. HELP ME MY BRAIN IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wren
    Wren

I know you said not to but I can't help it.

Basing all your hopes, devoting your life and childrens lives upon the writings of a third generation splinter group from the Millerites and their great disappointment. Aaaahhhhh!

Open any Wt book of Revelation interpretation, close your eyes and point.

• dmouse
    dmouse
    And why did God not know that Satan had turned evil, and immediately destroy him before he could do any wrong.

Because the story would have been too short then...

Lots of things about the creation story rankel with me too.

Like how come when we sinned we become imperfect and die but Satan and the demons get to live in perfection for thousands of years? - and Satan's sin was far worse; sounds like one set of standards for the rich and another for the poor to me.

And I don't think it was the best idea to put all your eggs in one basket. I mean, if you had the secret of eternal life in just ONE bottle and if you lost it you couldn't make anymore which one of YOU would leave the bottle in the garden all night? Come on, hands up. Not me either, I would make SURE it was safe until other bottles could be made as backups. Not God though, the whole fate of the human race left out in the rain and ruined...DUH!

Think about what was at stake, thousands of years of human misery and many condemned to die forever. Yet God did NOTHING to protect us. He could have delayed Satan somehow until Adam and Eve had had perfect offspring. He could have created additional offspring, a whole race, in the same manner as he created Adam. He could have not taken away Adam and Eve's perfection until after they had given birth. If you think about it a real God could never have been so irresponsible or vindictive. (Unless of course we were set up by God as the fall guys to avert rebellion in heaven.)

Why condemn a race of snakes to crawl on their bellys for all eternity, it wasn't their fault! They were used.

Why give the woman the EXTRA punishment of painful childbirth? After all it could be argued that Adam's sin was greater.

The whole creation story is just too contrived and illogical to be taken seriously.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

If a good person commits a major sin the day before armageddon, he will die and be gone for good. But if a extremely wicked person dies the day before armageddon, he will be resurrected and get a second chance.

Stan

• Hancock
    Hancock

You are right of course about the fallacies in the Watchtower/Bible teachings. But I find the crushing simplistic logic of most of the Watchtower teachings hard to bear. Such as:

Attend Meetings leads to Growing Spirtually Strong leads to Obeying God's Commands leads to Happiness

Not Attending Meetings leads to Growing Spiritually Weak leads to Lapse Into Sin leads to Unhappiness

Edited by - Hancock on 31 December 2002 15:30:12

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Increasing numbers of JWs means that the end is approaching, since Jaw is "gathering the valuable things of the nations" and "speeding up the work". Decreasing numbers of JWs means the end is approaching, since "the love of the greater number is cooling off", and "the work is nearing completion".

War and insecurity in the world, means the end is approaching. In fact, it could escalate right into armageddon. Peace and security means the end is approaching.

Back to the garden of Eden - humans get sick and die because of inherited imperfection. Yet, animals also get sick and die, many times of the same illnesses as humans, but they have no original sin.

• Mary
    Mary

The notion that Jesus "returned invisibly" never made sense to me, even when I was a true believer. Matthew chapter 24 just confirms that. When the disciples asked Jesus "when will these things be and what will be the sign of your COMING and of the end of the age?" I hardly think they were asking him 'please tell us when you'll be returning invisibly so we can start to make predictions and speculation on prophecy.' They expected a VISIBLE return. That it would not be an "invisible", secret return is clearly shown in vs. 30. After giving all the signs that would lead up to His Return, it says:

"An then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, an all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of haven with power and great glory."

Of course, the JWs say "this means that only JWs would 'see' him, with the eye of understanding, not with their literal eyes." Even if you discount the sheer absurdity of such ridiculous reasoning, a good question is: why didn't the brothers predict this then? They said Jesus "returned invisibly in 1914", over a decade later! So they didn't "see" anything with the "eye of understanding when this event supposedly happened." DUUUUUUHHHH.

The Gentile Times is also another stupid doctrine. Discounting the 607 BCE doctrine, still doesn't make it any more believable. Luke 21 vs. 20 - 24 says "Furthermore, when you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near (this is obviously talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE)...........and they will fall by the edge of the sword (still talking about the destruction in 70 CE) and Jerusalem will be trampled on by the nations, until the appointed times are fulfilled (suddenly, this is talking about 1914!)..........if they only had a brain................

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Great thread!

The Society's teaching that Jacob did not lie in Gen.27:18, 19 is illogical.

"He [Jacob] presented himself before his father and said, "Father. "I am here.; was the reply. "who are you, my son". Jacob said to his father, "I am Esau your first-born..."

The whole world will be preached to before the end comes.

The end is "always" coming in about the next 2-4 years.

The population to publisher ratio is 1million to 1 in India. How will they be preached to so soon?

No matter how extreme the circumstances, Bible rules must be followed. No exceptions.

We must teach the Bible to people.

People will no longer listen to a 3 minute presentation using both the Bible and the magazines.

Hence, in the 30 second presentation, skip the scriptures and just present the magazines.

You dont need to make more money.

This is written by Bethelites who have their room, food, heat, etc. paid for, and have no children. What do they know about the real world?

If a married couple gets a divorce on unscriptural grounds, neither can have sex with anyone else because they are still married in God's eyes.

They also cannot have sex with each other because they are not married! ("mocking the marriage arrangement")

Which is it? they are either married or they are not.

Every teaching is based on the Bible.

Men should not grow beards.

Where in the Bible is that one???

Men with beards are obviously weak Christians.

Jesus had a beard.

We are not supposed to say "The Society says..." but rather, "The Bible says...".

Yet the Bible says nothing against growing a beard.

If the Society teaches a false teaching, it means they are imperfect but they are still being used by God.

If the Catholic Church teaches a false teaching, it means they are a false religion and should be avoided.

Because the Society is made of imperfect men, they have taught falsehoods from time to time.

Everything the Society teaches today is true, and if you don't believe everything, you deserve to be disfellowshipped for apostacy.

When Armageddon comes, most people will be killed.

Most people who die before Armageddon will be resurrected and given another chance.

God is a just God....if you die one minute before Armageddon, good....if you die one minute too late, you DESERVE to lose everlasting life!

Also...logically, the most loving thing a person could do is kill as many people as possible before Armageddon. They would lose their life, but save so many others.....

Hitler killed 6-10 million people. Hitler was a horribly sick man.

God will kill about 6 BILLION people. God is the perfect example of love.

No matter what your culture, upbringing or life experience...even if you are completely sincere in serviing God but are ignorant of Jehovah, or fooled completely into serving other gods.....because you are not a JW, you will die in Armageddon.

Wives must allow their husbands to make all the decisons. Even if he decides to spend every penny of each paycheck on the latest fishing equipment, because he is male, he is a more logical thinker than his "emotional" wife.

"Independent thinking is wrong."

What other kind of thinking is there?? If you are not thinking independently, you are not thinking.

Richard

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 December 2002 17:27:51

• DIM
    DIM

The bible says to keep obeserving the memorial of his death until he arrives, the WTS teaches that he arrived in 1914 (greek word parousia or something meaning presence, thereby justifying the "invisible arrival"), yet they continue to have the memorial every year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit