So, where DID the 1914 timeline go awry?

by Xander 163 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

a Christian

I cannot agree with your interpretation of Daniel 1:1 and Daniel 2:1 as I believe that such a view is dishonest and not in harmony with biblical history. My chart does present every text that lists thr reigns of Nebuchadnezzar. In total there are seven texts that are synchronistic with Jehoiakim and Zedekiah, You also have overlooked a major exegetical flaw in your interpretation with the above texts. PLEASE COMPARE BOTH TEXTS CAREFULLY.

Jonsson's discussion is flawed because to give one example the following: Page 341 he presents a chart claiming there were three deportations. What he faild to mention in the example (2) that with Jehoiakim, the 'desirable' (NW) or 'valuable' (NASB) were brought to Babylon. (Verse 10) This is a misrepresentation because the NWT has 'desirable articles'. The NWT in the examples (1) and (3) uses utensils. Clearly, Jonsson argues that those three verses uses vessels to support his claim for three deportations but the NWT shows that these verses argue for on;y two deportations with verse 7 and 10 referring to one event at the end of Jehoiakim's reign and kingship. Would you like more? Only two happy to oblige..

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• aChristian
    aChristian

Scholar,

I hope I have the wisdom to ignore any posts of yours in the future. For there really seems to be no point in responding to what you write. My responses only succeed in enticing you to provide this forum with more evidence of your total disregard for the truth, your poor reading comprehension skills, and your equally poor writing skills.

You wrote: Jonsson's discussion is flawed because to give one example the following: Page 341 he presents a chart claiming there were three deportations. What he faild to mention in the example (2) that with Jehoiakim, ...

In Jonsson's "example (2)" on page 341 he is discussing Jehoiachin, not "Jehoiakim" as you assert. I considered forgiving this error of yours. After all, the two names are quite similar and are thus very easily transposed. However, as I read the rest of your response I decided not to be so kind. For after doing so, and after recalling many of your previous posts, I concluded that your careless transposition of the names of these two kings should be taken for what it is, another example of how you continually sully the word "Scholar" by using it to refer to yourself in all of your posts.

You continued: with Jehoiakim [actually Jehoiachin], the 'desirable' (NW) or 'valuable' (NASB) were brought to Babylon. (Verse 10) This is a misrepresentation because the NWT has 'desirable articles'. The NWT in the examples (1) and (3) uses utensils. Clearly, Jonsson argues that those three verses uses vessels to support his claim for three deportations

So what if the NWT uses the word "articles" in verse 10, and the word "vessels" in the other two verses? The "articles" being spoken of in verse 10 are the "desirable articles of the house of Jehovah," are they not? Just as verse 7 is referring to "some of the utensils of the house of Jehovah," and just as Verse 18 is referring to "all of the utensils of the house of the true God." All three of these verses are clearly referring to things that were taken from Jerusalem's temple, are they not? Besides the fact is, regardless of how the NWT translates verse 10, the Hebrew word translated as "articles" by the NWT in verse 10 is the same Hebrew word it translates as "utensils" in verses 7 and 18. The same Hebrew word appears in all three places. That's why the NIV and the NAS translate it consistently as "articles" in all three verses and why the KJV translates it consistently as "vessels" in all three verses. Jonsson's argument that the contents of 2 Chron. 36:7,10,18 provide evidence which strongly supports a natural reading of Daniel 1:1 remains. The fact that the NWT translates the same Hebrew word as "articles" in verse 10 and as "utensils" in verses 7 and 18 is totally irrelevant to his argument.

As expected, I have found your criticisms of Jonsson's work to be totally without merit.

You wrote: but the NWT shows that these verses argue for only two deportations with verse 7 and 10 referring to one event at the end of Jehoiakim's reign and kingship.

If you are going to attempt to defend the teaching of the Watchtower organization you should first learn what they are. The Watchtower teaches that verses 7 and 10 refer to one event at the end of Jehoiachin's reign, not at the end of "Jehoiakim's" reign. Now, I suppose you might again just be confusing these two similar names. However, if you are, I see no point in spending any more of my time trying to figure out what it is you might actually mean by what you actually write.

You wrote: Would you like more? Only two [your spelling] happy to oblige..

No, thank you. I've had my fill of Watchtower style "scholarship" for today. Sometimes the quality of what you and other Watchtower defenders write is so poor that I wonder if you might really just be a bunch of "apostates" trying to make the Watchtower organization and its defenders look foolish. If that's who you are and what you're doing, please save us both some time. Stop making posts in "defense" of the Watchtower. For you can believe me when I tell you, the Watchtower Society and its defenders need no help at all in looking foolish.

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's pretty amazing, aChristian, how so many people on discussion boards take handles that are quite the opposite of what they are in real life. On this board we have "scholar", "realist", and "logical", to name a few.

AlanF

• aChristian
    aChristian

Alan,

What you say is true enough to sometimes make me wish I'd chosen a different handle.

• Earnest
    Earnest

I will not be commenting on Daniel myself just yet as I received Carl Jonsson's 'Gentile Time Reconsidered' today and will be spending the next week or two indulging myself in the mysterious numbers of the Hebrew kings. I will probably also be spending some time checking his references to understand the context of what is written.

However, I would like to comment further on Furuli's statement that "there can be some uncertainty with [539], due to the witness of the tablet Strm Kambys 400, which is not as good as we would have wished". I expressed the view that Furuli's doubts were genuine and can now confirm that is so. In The Gentile Times Reconsidered, 1998, p.86, the footnote states regarding this text :

Despite the problems with the text, the two lunar eclipses...are believed to be based on true observations. The tablet, therefore, does seem to establish the seventh year of Cambyses as 523/522 B.C.E. Professor Robert R. Newton...concluded: "The most likely situation is that the year is [523/22 B.C.E.] and that there are some scribal errors in the record. Nonetheless, the confirmation of the year is not as strong as we would like."

Furuli's comment that "the witness of the tablet Strm Kambys 400 is not as good as we would have wished" is the same as Newton's "the confirmation of the year is not as strong as we would like". This is with good reason. The document "gives the times and magnitudes of two lunar eclipses, a conjunction of Mercury with the moon, 5 statements of the dates when Venus had its first or last visibility after or before passing the sun, and 4 such statements for Mars. If we assume that the 7th year of Kambyses began in the Spring of [523], the times and magnitudes of the lunar eclipses agree fairly well with the stated values, 3 statements about Venus are accurate while 2 are impossible, and 3 statements about Mars are accurate while 1 is impossible." (R.R.Newton, The Crime of Claudius Ptolemy,1977,p.375.)

And, although Newton says that "the times and magnitudes of the lunar eclipses agree fairly well with the stated values", in his book Ancient Planetary Observations and the Validity of Ephemeris Time (1976, p.341) he says regarding the second eclipse that "both possibilities for the recorded time [i.e. the beginning and the middle of the eclipse] are much earlier than the beginning of the eclipse, so there is probably an error in the record." He later discounts this eclipse when calculating average discrepancies because "the record is almost surely in error".

In terms of our larger discussion, this is what Alan might call "small potatoes". It does not affect any of the dates of which we speak except that Strm Kambys 400 cannot, imo, be said to support 539 B.C.E. as an astronomically fixed date. But it does show that Furuli has good reason for his caution.

scholar : I have researched this subject thoroughly using the Society's publications, commentaries etc and Jonsson's GTR, 3rd edition, 1998, Appendix article 'The Third Year of Jehoiakim', pp.335-344. I set out on paper a chart containing dates (secular and Society's), reigns for Jehoiakim and Nebuchadnezzar, brief description of each historical events, relevant scriptural texts and the synchronisms between the reigns of Nebuchadnezzar and Jehoiakim. This chart presents in a simple and visual way the complete range of data.

If you are able to produce a scan of this chart please do so. I am sure it would be of interest to many.

Earnest

Edited to remove criticism of aChristian in light of his subsequent modesty.

Edited by - Earnest on 28 January 2003 20:31:2

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Earnest,

I'm glad to hear you got Jonsson's book, and will be checking some references.

I think you need to be more precise in speaking about Furuli's statement about Strm. Kambys. 400. and 539. It's obvious that Furuli is speaking only of possible uncertainty in that if that text were the only means of establishing the date, then the many problems, such you pointed out that Newton discussed, would produce uncertainty. But because 539 is established with virtually complete certainty via documents from the pre-539 period and from later documents pertaining to that period, the uncertainty is only with respect to how much stock can be put in Strm. Kambys. 400. Nevertheless, the fact that the latter agrees with standard dating as established by these other documents removes all uncertainty. Thus, Furuli's statement is deceptive and insincere, because the way he phrased it, his readers get the impression that 539 is not well established by any means, when precisely the opposite is true. Furuli has learned well from the Society in this. Furuli's doubts are genuine only in the sense that he believes that the claims the Society has made are true because they "speak for God", and not in terms of an objective evaluation of the evidence. He rejects evidence that contradicts Watchtower claims only because it contradicts Watchtower claims.

Keep in mind that the only reason Furuli uses this document as he does is because the Watchtower Society does so, and that the only reason the WTS now uses it is to avoid charges of hypocrisy in terms of using other documents, such as Ptolemy's Canon, to establish 539 while at the same time rejecting those same documents as being accurate in the pre-539 period. Clearly it would be self-serving for the Society to do this, and because they did it all the time before the Insight book was published, they came in for plenty of criticism.

Given the above, your statement that "it does show that Furuli has good reason for his caution" is true only with respect to how solidly Strm. Kambys. 400. establishes 539, and not with respect to any other documents.

In support of my above contentions, note the following: You quoted a bit from Jonsson's book, in a footnote where he quotes from Robert Newton. Here is a bit more on this, including the context of Jonsson's quotation.

Robert Newton's thesis in The Crime of Claudius Ptolemy was that Ptolemy fabricated various "observational" data in order to support his astronomical theories. Despite his severe criticisms, Newton said that Ptolemy's king list, presented in the Canon, could be trusted to give accurate lengths for the reigns of Nebuchadnezzar and the Persian king Cambyses. Note in the quotation below (p. 374) that Newton uses the astronomer's convention that B.C. dates are stated with a minus sign and are one year "earlier" than B.C. dates, so that -522 is equivalent to 523 B.C.:

Luckily, the later part of his king list has independent verification. I mentioned in Section VIII.8 that there is a Babylonian record of the lunar eclipse of -522 July 16, which is one of the eclipses that Ptolemy fabricated. More accurately, I should have said that there is a Babylonian record of a lunar eclipse in the 7th year of Kambyses, which is the same year that Ptolemy states. The document was published by Kugler [1907, pp. 70-71] and the astronomical observations in it are analyzed in APO [Ancient Planetary Observations and the Validity of Ephemeris Time, Robert R. Newton, 1976] Chapters IV, X, and XIV. The document gives the times and magnitudes of two lunar eclipses, a conjunction of Mercury with the moon, 5 statements of the dates when Venus had its first or last visibility after or before passing the sun, and 4 such statements for Mars. If we assume that the 7th year of Kambyses began in the spring of -522, the times and magnitudes of the lunar eclipses agree fairly well with the stated values, 3 statements about Venus are accurate while 2 are impossible, and 3 statements about Mars are accurate while 1 is impossible. The most likely situation is that the year is -522/-521 and that there are some scribal errors in the record. Nonetheless, the confirmation of the year is not as strong as we would like.

However, there is another document from the 37th year of Nebuchadrezzar [Neugebauer and Weidner, 1915] [[This is VAT 4956]]. According to Ptolemy's list, this year began in the spring of -567. The document records 9 measurements of the times of moonrise or moonset, 5 times of conjunctions of the moon with specified stars, plus 1 conjunction of Mercury, 2 of Venus, and 3 of Mars, all with specified stars. When I analyze these on the assumption that the year is -567/-566, I find that the times of moonrise or moonset agree with calculated values within about 10 minutes. The longitudes of the moon and planets inferred from the conjunctions agree with calculated values within 1 degree or less for most observations, although there is a discrepancy of about 3 degrees for one lunar conjunction.

Thus we have quite strong confirmation that Ptolemy's list is correct for Nebuchadrezzar, and reasonable confirmation for Kambyses. Since the beginning of Nebuchadrezzar's reign takes us back to -603 if -567 is oorrect for his 37th year, it seems likely that any error in Ptolemy's list is no more than a few years for dates after -603. So far as I know, there is no astronomical confirmation for earlier dates. I have not attempted to study the evidence available from sources other than Ptolemy for earlier years.

Thus, according to a strong critic of Ptolemy's Canon, the Canon is correct for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, because the 37th year of this king is astronomically confirmed.

You should note that Newton's 2nd-to-last statement above is not correct -- there is astronomical confirmation for the reigns of several Babylonian kings prior to Nebuchadnezzar.

Now, we know that the Society rejects VAT 4956 (cf. Appendix to chapter 14 in Let Your Kingdom Come) simply because it contradicts its own chronology. The Society allows that the astronomical information may be correct (how could it not, in view of the actual evidence as summarized by Newton?) but claims that the resulting dates may be applied to the wrong king or whatever. Yet -- displaying its usual hypocrisy -- the Society turns around and accepts Str. Kambys. 400 lock, stock and barrel -- astronomical information plus application to the reign of Cambyses! It is this gross scholastic dishonesty that you ought to come to grips with, Earnest.

Finally, you told "scholar": "If you are able to produce a scan of this chart please do so." You don't really expect this guy to do that, do you? He has yet to produce anything of substance at all. It's obvious that he knows that knowledgeable people on this board will prove his claims wrong, just as I have done with respect to various scriptures bearing on 539 B.C.

AlanF

• Earnest
    Earnest

Hi Alan,

Given the above, your statement that "it does show that Furuli has good reason for his caution" is true only with respect to how solidly Strm. Kambys. 400. establishes 539, and not with respect to any other documents.

Quite so. I was speaking of Strm. Kambys. 400 only and agree with Jonsson that "to fix the date for the fall of Babylon, it is much safer to start with the reign of Nebuchadnezzar and count forward, instead of beginning with the reign of Cambyses and counting backward." (GTR, 1998, p.87.)

Now, we know that the Society rejects VAT 4956 (cf. Appendix to chapter 14 in Let Your Kingdom Come) simply because it contradicts its own chronology. The Society allows that the astronomical information may be correct (how could it not, in view of the actual evidence as summarized by Newton?) but claims that the resulting dates may be applied to the wrong king or whatever. Yet -- displaying its usual hypocrisy -- the Society turns around and accepts Str. Kambys. 400 lock, stock and barrel -- astronomical information plus application to the reign of Cambyses! It is this gross scholastic dishonesty that you ought to come to grips with, Earnest.

I take your point but also consider that the WTS, like Ptolemy, is sometimes right despite scholastic dishonesty. 'scholar' has pointed out that Jonsson's hypothesis is one of several and I don't think we should limit our study simply to avoid agreement with any aspect of WTS chronology.

Earnest

• aChristian
    aChristian

Earnest,

You edited away your criticism of me before I had a chance to read it. I admit to being a bit hard on "Scholar" at times. But sometimes we just have to call a spade a spade.

You should enjoy Jonsson's book. If there is anything in it that you have a problem with feel free to write the author. He will most likely be glad to help you. Carl and I have corresponded fairly regularly for about ten years now, both by snail mail and E mail, often at great length, on a variety of subjects. He's a great guy. He is also a Christian who believes that the Bible is the inspired word of God.

You made reference to "the mysterious numbers of the Hebrew kings." As you probably know, that is the title of a book by Edwin R. Thiele which contains his reconstruction of the chronology of the divided kingdom. His book contains much information that is of interest to students of both history and scripture, and much that is of great use to Bible chronologists. However, in it he admitted that he was unable to establish full harmony between all of the apparently conflicting chronological information pertaining to this era that is found in the Bible and in the historical records of ancient Israel's and Judah's neighboring nations. He tried his best to do so but in the end he ended up saying that the Bible itself contains several errors and that there are other errors in some of this time period's major secular records. By taking such a position, in my opinion, Thiele showed himself to be not altogether different from the Watchtower Society. Like the Society, rather than admit that some of his understandings of scripture and history might be in error he said that some of the historical records must be in error.

For instance, Thiele rejected Sargon's claim in the Khorsbad texts to have been ruling as king during the final days of Assyria's siege of Samaria. Thiele also failed to harmonize several pieces of chronological information pertaining to this era that apparently conflict with the Masoretic Text which are found in the works of Josephus, and several other apparent contradictions that are found in the Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew scriptures.

I have recently finished my reconstruction of the divided monarchy. Believe it or not, I was able to establish full harmony between all biblical and extrabiblical historical information pertaining to the number of years each of Israel's and Judah's kings reigned and pertaining to the times of their accessions, including all "variant" information that is found in the LXX and in Josephus. Unlike Thiele I did so using only one calendar and one system of reckoning for all of the reigns of the kings of Israel. And I did so using only one calendar and one system of reckoning for all of the reigns of the kings of Judah. (I believe the biblical record contains only a couple of variations from this system of reckoning. They exist due to the author's unusual frame of reference and apply only to some events which occurred near the end Judah's history. These few understandable variances are discussed in Jonsson's book.) I found I was only able to reconcile all of this often apparently contradictory information by accepting as fully accurate all of the dates for major events during this era which modern historians now provide us.

I intend to publish my work in book form in the near future. Hey, I've spent years on this. I've got to make a few bucks. But for now I'll give you this much. Babylon destroyed Jerusalem in 587 B.C. and Jeroboam began to rule his new ten tribe kingdom in northern Israel in 935 B.C.

If you want to one day fully understand all of "the mysterious numbers of the Hebrew kings" the best advise I can give you is this. Rather than viewing the historians who provide us with dates for major historical events which are recorded in the scriptures as your enemies, view them as your friends.

Edited by - aChristian on 29 January 2003 0:8:20

• scholar
    scholar

a Christian

Once again you excell in poor comprehension. You are incorrect in your views of what Jonsson seeks to prove namely that there were tree deporstations based on 2Chronicles 36: 7,10 18. These texts are not clearly referring to the same thing as translated by Jonsson as 'vessels'. The Hebrew word differs in these verses that is why in verse 2 the NWT translate it as ' desirable articles' as in agreement with Green's Interlinear Hebrew Old Testament, Vol.2 pp..1230-31. It is Jonsson who has raised this argument as explained in the first paragragh on page342 but is not supported by careful translation of the Hebrew.

You have also failed to understand the significance of both Daniel 1:1 and Daniel 2:1 despite the clues I have posted to you. Obviously, detail in scholarship is unimportant to you but the championing of a viewpoint of chronology that you have not fully understood. If you are wrong in your understanding of Daniel 1:1 then whateveer research on the Divided Monarchy will be useless.

If you have finished your research then please give a figure for the total years for the Kingdom of Israel and Judah. This wil put your so called harmony to the test, if it falls too short of 390 years then you had better do it all again.

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• aChristian
    aChristian

Scholar,

You wrote: you excell in poor comprehension.

You then wrote: please give a figure for the total years for the Kingdom of Israel and Judah. This wil put your so called harmony to the test, if it falls too short of 390 years ...

In my last post I wrote: Babylon destroyed Jerusalem in 587 B.C. and Jeroboam began to rule his new ten tribe kingdom in northern Israel in 935 B.C.

Now, since I assume you are able to subtract 587 from 935 and come up with a remainder of 348, you have just demonstrated that you are the one who "excels in poor comprehension."

By the way, the Hebrew word in question is the same in all three instances. Green assigns the same Strong's reference number, 3627, to this word in all three verses. Your implication that the translators of the NWT were more "careful" than the translators of other versions of the Bible is quite humorous. They were only "careful" to never miss an opportunity to distort the scriptures for the purpose of supporting their teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit