So, where DID the 1914 timeline go awry?

by Xander 163 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Earnest,

aChristian is quite capable of answering the questions you've raised, but I want to add my two cents.

Daniel 1:1 has perplexed Bible scholars for centuries. Many explanations have been offered, but few seem to jibe completely with all known data. The simplest explanation seems to me simply to take the text at face value, while recognizing that Daniel, as a Babylonian official, would likely have used the Babylonian accession-year system of reckoning the reigns of kings, with Nisan-Nisan dating -- not just for Babylonian kings but for Jewish kings. However, in other Bible books written by Jews living in Palestine, the writers would use the non-accession year system of reckoning the reigns of kings, almost certainly with Tishri-Tishri dating (however, a number of scholars, such as Edwin Thiele writing in The Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings, hold that the Jews used different methods at different times). Thus the "third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim" mentioned in Daniel 1:1 would correspond to "the fourth year of Jehoiakim" mentioned in Jeremiah 46:2.

If Daniel and a small number of other Jews were taken captive to Babylon shortly after Nebuchadnezzar defeated the Egytians at the battle of Carchemish in late spring of 605 B.C. and began conquering the various Egyptian vassal states (of which Judah was one), then that would have been in Nebuchadnezzar's accession year, which ended the day before Nisan 1, 604 B.C. After Daniel and company were captured, they were taught the ways and language of Babylon, according to the rest of Daniel 1, and at the end of three years they were found to be outstandingly educated and competent. According to Daniel 2:1 Nebuchadnezzar dreamed a dream which Daniel was called upon to interpret and did so with such success that Nebuchadnezzar appointed him to a high position (Dan. 2:48). Apparently this occurred during the three years during which Daniel was being educated, since Dan. 2:1 indicates that the dream occurred in Nebuchadnezzar's second year, which would have been sometime between Nisan 1, 603 and Nisan 1, 602 B.C. According to Dan. 1:17-21, by the end of the three years of education, Daniel was already known to have "understanding in all sorts of visions and dreams", which indicates that the incident related in Daniel 2 occurred during that period of education. All of this goes to prove that Daniel was in Babylon long before the destruction of Jerusalem, which proves in turn that the servitude of the Jews to Babylon began about 18 years before the destruction of Jerusalem -- in direct contradiction with the Watchtower Society's claims.

The standard way of stating a date in ancient times was to reference the year of reign of some king, as in Daniel 1:1: "In the third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim", such and such happened. I know of no examples in the Bible where this convention is violated. The only places that the Watchtower Society claims the convention is violated is in Daniel 1:1 and 2:1. They do this because it causes major problems for their chronology, as aChristian pointed out. In view of this convention, the most natural understanding of Dan. 1:1 and 2:1 is to take them at face value. Thoroughly unnatural and ever changing understandings have been given by the Watchtower Society since about 1900.

With the above discussion in mind, I can now comment on your quotations and commentary on Daniel 1:1, 2 and 2 Kings 23:36 - 24:13.

: From a comparison of these two accounts would you say Daniel was referring to the third year of Jehoiakim's reign or the third year as servant [tributary king] to Nebuchadnezzar ?

The former. Since Daniel almost certainly used the accession-year system of dating kings' reigns, his mention of the "third year" of Jehoiakim would correspond with the mention of the "fourth year" in Jer. 46:2. This is supported by a natural reading of Dan. 2:1.

You quoted parts of 2 Kings, but left out some parts by using ellipses. One part that you left out, 24:2-5, contains statements critical to a proper understanding of the timing of Jehoiakim's being a tributary king to Nebuchadnezzar. Let me quote the relevant verses:

2 Kings 24:1-2: "In his days Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up, and so Jehoiakim became his servant for three years. However, he turned back and rebelled against him. 2 And Jehovah began to send against him marauder bands of Chaldeans and marauder bands of Syrians and marauder bands of Moabites and marauder bands of the sons of Ammon, and he kept sending them against Judah to destroy it, according to Jehovahs word that he had spoken by means of his servants the prophets."

Now, it is obvious that if Jehovah began to send marauder bands of four different nations against the Jews, and that he kept sending them against the Jews, this required a period of at least several years. If Jehoiakim became Nebuchadnezzar's "servant" for three years beginning when he first laid seige to Jerusalem and took Daniel and company captive in the summer of 605 B.C., then he would have rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar in about 602 B.C. Since secular history tells us that Nebudadnezzar's second foray against Jerusalem ended in early 596 B.C. with the capture of Jehoiachin, and the Bible tells us that Jehoiachin ruled for only a bit more than three months, Jehoiakim must have been killed in late 598 B.C. This gives a period of some four years during which the "marauder bands" could have come up against him. On the other hand, Watchtower chronology claims that Jehoiakim became Nebuchadnezzar's vassal in his eighth year, and continued until his eleventh year, when he rebelled. But it was in Jehoiakim's eleventh year that he was killed, which leaves precious little time for Jehovah to begin sending all those marauder bands against him, and to keep sending them. The phrasing "Jehovah kept sending" strains the Watchtower interpretation beyond the breaking point. This is partly why I have to reject it.

: Now let's think about this a bit further. Nebuchadnezzar brought the utensils [and all the princes and all the valiant, mighty men] to Babylon in the eighth year of his being king.

Right, which would have been in early 597 B.C. Jehoiachin was captured and brought to Babylon at this time.

: So would you say it is manipulating the scriptures to suggest that when it later refers to him having a dream in his second year, it is probably dating from some event other than the beginning of his reign ?

Yes, because "manipulating" means attributing a poorly justified and unnatural meaning to the scriptures. Unless you can get around the above information, aChristian's comment stands.

: The alternative explanation is that Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to Jehoiakim on a previous occasion and took utensils of the house of God and brought sons of the royal offspring and of the nobles to Babylon...but without a breath of it in the account of Jehoiakim's kingship!?...strange teachings indeed.

What do you mean, "without a breath of it"? The several accounts of Jehoikim's doings are perfectly in line with the understanding of Daniel 1, 2 that I describe above. Please explain.

The first deportation of captives was apparently a very small one, virtually a token. Since Nebuchadnezzar began conquering all of the defeated Egypt's vassal states immediately after winning the battle of Carchemish, but was not in a position to begin massive deportations and sackings until a year or more later, it is quite reasonable that he took only a token number of captives, such as Daniel and company, along with a token amount of temple utensils and so forth, at first. In view of the defeat of powerful Egypt, Jehoiakim would have immediately capitulated. This would have precipitated a crisis in Judah, and this crisis is obviously (to me, at least) what is described in Jeremiah 25. The chapter begins with the "fourth year of Jehoiakim" and "the first year of Nebuchadnezzar", i.e., in Jewish dating terms, the time period immediately after Nebuchadnezzar humiliated Jehoiakim by taking captives and making him a vassal. Were this not the case, why would the chapter begin with such an unusual double dating? The chapter goes on with Jehovah's malediction against not only Judah, but all of the nations round about, and his prediction that all of those nations would be "devastated" by the Babylonians, and that the latter would reign supreme for "seventy years". Smack in the middle of chapter 25, Jeremiah indicates just what sort of "devastation" was to be even more sorely visited upon the Jews and other nations (Jer. 25:17, 18):

17 And I proceeded to take the cup out of the hand of Jehovah and to make all the nations drink to whom Jehovah had sent me: 18 namely, Jerusalem and the cities of Judah and her kings, her princes, to make them a devastated place, an object of astonishment, something to whistle at and a malediction, just as at this day...

Clearly, when Jeremiah wrote this material, he was still in Jerusalem, and yet he described his city as "a devastated place, an object of astonishment, something to whistle at and a malediction". How could Jeremiah have described Jerusalem as a "devastated place" unless Nebuchadnezzar had already lay seige to it and conquered it? In other words, this passage proves that a natural reading of Dan. 1:1 is correct, vis a vis my above discussion.

Of couse, the above discussion barely scratches the surface of the available evidence. For a much broader discussion you ought to read Carl Olof Jonsson's The Gentile Times Reconsidered. But note that the above material I've covered is independent of Jonsson's analysis.

You wrote the following, which I don't understand the reason for:

: Furthermore, just prior to mentioning "the second year of the kingship of Nebuchadnezzar" (2:1), Daniel refers to "the first year of Cyrus the king" (1:21). Do you think he was referring to the year Cyrus became king or is he dating it from Babylon's overthrow ?

In view of our previous discussions, your questions are ambiguous, and I'm not sure that your understanding is complete. According to the view I have given above, Daniel would have dated Nebuchadnezzar's reign and Cyrus' reign according to Babylonian standards, so that Cyrus' "first year" would have been from Nisan 1, 538 B.C. to Nisan 1, 537 B.C. But for his "first year" to begin on that date, his accession year would have had to have been mostly during 539 B.C., and of course, that would have included the day of Babylon's overthrow, namely, early October, 539 B.C. So, "the year Cyrus became king" and the year of "Babylon's overthrow" are the same. There is no "or" about it.

The following passages from Watchtower publications seem to support my contention that Daniel used the accession year system of dating, which contention you can see implicitly in my previous posts:

*** si p. 139 Bible Book Number 27-Daniel ***
    6 The Jews included the book of Daniel, not with the Prophets, but with the Writings. On the other hand, the English Bible follows the catalog order of the Greek Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate by placing Daniel between the major and the minor prophets. There are actually two parts to the book. The first of these, chapters 1 to 6, gives in chronological order the experiences of Daniel and his companions in government service from 617 B.C.E. to 538 B.C.E. (Dan. 1:1, 21)

*** kc p. 189 Appendix to Chapter 14 ***
    However, there is no reasonable way of stretching Cyrus first year from 538 down to 535 B.C.E. Some who have tried to explain away the problem have in a strained manner claimed that in speaking of "the first year of Cyrus" Ezra and Daniel were using some peculiar Jewish viewpoint that differed from the official count of Cyrus reign. But that cannot be sustained, for both a non-Jewish governor and a document from the Persian archives agree that the decree occurred in Cyrus first year, even as the Bible writers carefully and specifically reported.-Ezra 5:6, 13; 6:1-3; Daniel 1:21; 9:1-3.

: I have to say that far from obscuring anything it seems to me that the WTS understanding of what these particular time periods refer to is the most obvious meaning of a straight-forward reading of the scriptures.

In view of my discussion above, I think you will have to change your opinion.

I really think that you need to get hold of Jonsson's book at this point. It will clear up many points of difficulty. You'll find that, in contrast with Watchtower writings on this subject, it is clear, to the point, and does not shy away from tackling difficult scriptural problems.

AlanF

• aChristian
    aChristian

Alan,

Thanks for your help. You made some very good points which I had not considered before.

Earnest asked: Do you think he [Daniel] was referring to the year Cyrus became king or is he dating it from Babylon's overthrow ?

When he did I assumed he was referring to the year in which Cyrus inherited the throne of Anshan from his father, Cambyses I, in 559 B.C. In doing so I understood Earnest to be implying that since Daniel had reckoned the reign of Cyrus from a second starting point, the time of his conquering Babylon, Daniel may have also reckoned the reigns of Jehoiakim and Nebuchadnezzar from second starting points.

However, I believe Earnest is comparing apples with oranges. For when Cyrus became king of Babylon, following his conquest of it, he was officially coronated as Babylon's new king in a traditional ceremony in which he took the hand of a statue of the Babylonian god Marduk as all other kings of Babylon had done before him. Jehoiakim was not coronated as anyone's new king after he was made Babylon's vassal. Nebuchadnezzar was not coronated as anyone's new king after he conquered Jerusalem. Thus it made perfect sense for Daniel to count the years of Cyrus' reign from the time he became Babylon's new king. But it would have made no sense for him to have counted the reign of Jehoiakim from the time he became Babylon's vassal, and it would have made no sense for him to count the reign of Nebuchadnezzar from the time he conquered Jerusalem.

As you have clearly shown, the scriptures give us no reason to believe that Daniel reckoned the reigns of Jehoiakim and Nebuchadnezzar in such a way and plenty of reasons to believe that he did not.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Regarding the Society's timing of Dan. 2:1, I posted something some time ago that might be of some interest (see below). There are some other issues that are addressed there too. Xander's question "where DID the 1914 timeline go awry?" might be simply answered "at the beginning." What I mean is that the "Gentile Times" concept is predicated on the Society's interpretation of Luke 21:20-27 and Acts 3:21, 24. These two scriptures play a critical part in the beginning of an overly complex and convoluted chain of scriptures! Without them, the whole concept of the "Gentile Times" falls down like a house-of-cards!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=9775&site=3

• Earnest
    Earnest

Much information has been provided by aChristian, AlanF and cyberguy regarding "the third year of Jehoiakim" (Daniel 1:1) and " the second year of Nebuchadnezzar" (Daniel 2:1). For the sake of simplicity I will first state my conclusions on these two time periods before addressing some of the many issues raised in getting the chronology right.

AlanF wrote that

Daniel 1:1 has perplexed Bible scholars for centuries. Many explanations have been offered, but few seem to jibe completely with all known data. This being so it would be very foolish of me to suggest that my understanding is the only one possible. So, in making my case I am saying I think my understanding is reasonable but recognise that all explanations of these passages have their problems.

This passage (Dan.1:1) says "In the third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim the king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and proceeded to lay siege to it. In time Jehovah gave into his hand Jehoiakim the king of Judah and a part of the utensils of the house of the true God...".

I compared it with the record of his reign at 2 Kings 23 and concluded that as it said nothing about a siege of Jerusalem prior to his becoming servant of Nebuchadnezzar (for three years) it was more reasonable to understand "the third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim" as referring to his third year as a vassal king when he rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar. A number of reasons were subsequently given by AlanF and aChristian for rejecting this understanding but in fact Alan also brought to my attention evidence that Daniel's reference was not the third year of Jehoiakim's reign. He referred to Jeremiah 46:2 : "For Egypt, concerning the military force of Pharaoh Necho the king of Egypt, who happened to be by the river Euphrates at Carchemish, whom Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon defeated in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, the king of Judah." Quite clearly, if Egypt was only defeated by Nebuchadnezzar in Jehoiakim's fourth year then he was still subject to Pharaoh Necho (2 Chronicles 36:1-4) in his third year which contradicts a literal understanding of Daniel 1. Both a Christian and AlanF argued that "Daniel, as a Babylonian official, would likely have used the Babylonian accession-year system of reckoning the reigns of kings, with Nisan-Nisan dating -- not just for Babylonian kings but for Jewish kings", as opposed to the non-accession year system of reckoning the reigns of kings used by Jeremiah. The effect of this would be that the Babylonian regnal years would be numbered one year less than those in Judaea. But it seems to me most

improbable that Daniel would have used the Babylonian accession-year system for reckoning the reign of Jehoiakim, for this reason : he had already spent at least three years under Jehoiakim's reign and had doubtless during that time spoken of his reign as Jeremiah did, i.e. without an accession year. While it would be reasonable for Daniel to refer to the reign of the Babylonian kings according to the Babylonian system, it seems quite unreasonable that he would change a frame of reference he was already using towards a Judean king. Further, Daniel 9:1,2 (which refers to "the first year of his [Darius] reigning" as "the first year", not the accession year) suggests he did not use the accession-year system even when he was in Babylon. At the end of the day it is a difficult verse to harmonise with the chronological record and I think the tone of aChristian's post (in saying that according to the Watchtower Society, "the third year of Jehoiakim" does not really mean "the third year of Jehoiakim) ignores the very real difficulties of harmonising chronology.

But that is far less difficult than an attempt to make "the second year of Nebuchadnezzar" really mean the second year of Nebuchadnezzar. Consider, Daniel was apparently brought to the land of Shinar when Nebuchadnezzar was already king (1:1,2). They were then taught the ways and language of Babylon for three full years before being presented to the king (1:5,18). But according to 2:1 Nebuchadnezzar had his dream of the image in his second year. When his wise men could not tell him his dream he ordered all the wise men of Babylon to be destroyed. "...and they looked for Daniel and his companions, for them to be killed." So, if 2:1 is the second year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign it means that these four were already included in "the wise men of Babylon" at least a year before they had finished their training. What happens next ? Daniel reveals the dream and its meaning to Nebuchadnezzar and so grateful is he that he pays homage to Daniel and "made Daniel someone great, and many big gifts he gave to him, and he made him the ruler over all the jurisdictional district of Babylon and the chief prefect over all the wise men of Babylon. And...he appointed over the administration of the jurisdictional district of Babylon Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, but Daniel was in the court of the king" (2:48,49). Now, if 2:1 is the second year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign then this all happened before the end of their three full years of training. Ok. Then at the end of the three years "the king had said to bring them in...And the king began to speak with them, and out of them all no one was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; and they continued to stand before the king" (1:18,19). Hey, but I thought Daniel was already chief prefect over all the wise men of Babylon. The time scale just does not add up to me. AlanF suggests that as Daniel was already known to have "understanding in all sorts of visions and dreams" before the end of their three years (1:17), it indicates that the incident related in Daniel 2 occurred during that period of education. I think the contrary is true. The fact that "visions and dreams" is in the plural shows clearly that there were other visions and dreams that Daniel understood, and if he had already interpreted the king's dream at this stage it's inexplicable that it was not referred to in verse 17. To me the obvious sense of verse 17 is to set the scene for Daniel's subsequent interpretation of chapter 2.

On the other hand, if the "second year of the kingship of Nebuchadnezzar" (2:1) refers to his kingship dating from Jerusalem's overthrow then it is easy to understand why the four Hebrews were included among the wise men of Babylon (2:12,13) and why Daniel was able to approach the chief of the king's bodyguard (2;14) because after their three years training "they continued to stand before the king" (1:19). I am not ignoring the problems with this understanding but to me this seems the most obvious meaning of a straight-forward reading of the text. Again, I think that aChristian's comment that the belief that "'the second year of Nebuchadnezzar' does not really mean 'the second year of Nebuchadnezzar' seems like a strange teaching" completely ignores the problems of this verse for the sake of ridicule.

Now, I know I said that after stating my conclusions I would then address some of the issues raised as a result of my previous post. And I have done the research and my intentions were good. However...it is 3:30 a.m. and I know it will take several hours to set out my reply to the objections clearly...so I must ask you to wait. Alan, I know you are still waiting for my response to your earlier post but I did not expect the need to spend so much time on these two verses (Daniel 1:1; 2:1) to demonstrate what I considered to be obvious. I understand better why "scholar" gives out references for people to do their own research as there is no end to questions and research when it comes to biblical chronology and there is a limit to what one can do. How you manage to churn out so much so quickly without it affecting the quality of your posts, as well as having secular work and family life, is quite beyond me.

But I would just like to comment on one point before I go, and that is your comment on my quotation of the record in 2 Kings of the rule of Jehoiakim. You said :

You quoted parts of 2 Kings, but left out some parts by using ellipses. One part that you left out, 24:2-5, contains statements critical to a proper understanding of the timing of Jehoiakim's being a tributary king to Nebuchadnezzar.

I see why you consider the part left out from my quotation as relevant to a proper understanding of the timing of Jehoiakim's being a tributary king to Nebuchadnezzar, and I will try and address that in my next post. But I would like to assure you as a matter of honour that there was no intention to mislead as to what the scripture actually says.

Earnest

• aChristian
    aChristian

Earnest,

You more than once stated that Daniel was in training for "three full years." However, the text does not actually say such a thing. Many examples could be provided to you from the Bible where partial days, months and years were referred to by Bible writers in a way which could easily lead one to believe that the text is referring to a complete period of time rather than a partial one. One example that comes quickly to my mind is our being told that Jesus would be in the tomb for "three days and three nights." Now, that certainly sounds like seventy-two hours. However, nearly everyone agrees that Jesus was not entombed for such a period of time. For a variety of reasons. One of which is that elsewhere the Bible itself tells us that Christ was resurrected "on the third day." That being the case, we know that what Bible writers meant was that Christ would be in the tomb for parts of three days. If you need more examples of this being a common form of counting the passage of time by Bible writers let me know.

With this in mind, if Daniel was brought to Babylon in Nebuchadnezzar's accession year, which historical records preserved by Josephus together with Daniel's own words as understood by most Bible readers seem to indicate, then Daniel would have counted Nebuchadnezzar's accession year as the first year of his training. He would have then counted Nebuchadnezzar's first official regnal year as his second year of training. And he would have counted whatever portion of Nebuchadnezzar's second official regnal year had passed before he was called before the king as his third year of training.

You have, it seems, correctly sensed that I have little respect for the Watchtower Society's published understandings of Bible chronology. Though your understanding of the verses we have been discussing is no doubt a genuine one, I do not believe the Watchtower Society's is. For there is a ton of evidence, both biblical and extrabiblical, which we have not yet discussed which proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the Watchtower's teachings must be in error on how the Bible should be understood in this matter. The Watchtower Society is fully aware of all of this evidence. You certainly appear not to be. That being the case, I will advise you as Alan has. If you really want to come to a fully informed conclusion on this subject matter you should read Carl Olof Jonsson's book, "The Gentile Times Reconsidered." For I doubt that there is anything related to this subject matter that we could discuss here that is not dealt with there in much greater depth than anyone will be able to do here.

So far as your comment that you do not believe Daniel would have used the Babylonian accession year system of reckoning to count the years of a Judean king's reign, I think you may be forgetting something. When in Dan. 1:1 Daniel referred to "the third year of Jehoiakim," which I believe the Bible refers to elsewhere as his "fourth year," Daniel did so after serving as an official of the Babylonian government for well over fifty years. Remember, Daniel wrote the first chapter of his book after "the first year of King Cyrus." (Dan.1:21)

Edited by - aChristian on 19 January 2003 1:5:46

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Earnest,

: I see why you consider the part left out from my quotation as relevant to a proper understanding of the timing of Jehoiakim's being a tributary king to Nebuchadnezzar, and I will try and address that in my next post.

Ok. But I want to stress that this is not just relevant, but critical. To properly address the scripture I discussed, you'll have to show how language like "Jehovah kept sending marauder bands..." is consistent with the Society's chronological claims, which demand that this could have gone on for only a few months at most.

: But I would like to assure you as a matter of honour that there was no intention to mislead as to what the scripture actually says.

I know that quite well. It appears to me that you, like most JWs, simply missed it. In my experience, it is the rare person trained by the JW organization who knows much beyond what is already written in WTS publications. This is not a slur on you -- lord knows, you're one of the few JWs I've encountered who actually thinks about these matters -- but simply an observation.

I want to bring out a few more observations before you complete your research, as they're relevant to our discussions. I didn't bring some of them out in my previous comments since they were only supposed to be a brief overview, not an in depth study of all the relevant evidence.

You mentioned that Dan. 1:5 indicates that Daniel and the young men "were then taught the ways and language of Babylon for three full years before being presented to the king". But the text does not say that -- it simply mentions three years. Biblical language is often flexible or ambiguous enough that when language like this is used, we cannot tell exactly what time period is being specified. Perhaps the classic example in WTS literature is the explanation the Society gives about Matt. 12:40, where Jesus is said to be "in the heart of the earth three days and three nights." The Society argues (correctly, in my opinion) that this does not mean a full three days, but only parts of three days -- to be more precise, about two and a half days (from about 3:00 Friday afternoon through very early Sunday morning). So it could be with Dan. 1:5, that the young men were educated for parts of three years. I did not mention this specifically in my last post, but merely alluded to it. If the battle of Carchemish were fought around May, 605, and shortly afterwards Nebuchadnezzar's forces beseiged Jerusalem and took Daniel and others captive, then with a good traveling pace the captives could have been in Babylon by September or October. That was in Nebuchadnezzar's accession year, and remember that Nebuchadnezzar took the throne on September 7 (Julian calendar; note that this is consistent with his being king when the captives arrived). His second year ended the day before Nisan 1, 602 B.C., roughly March. That would have allowed up to nearly two and a half years for educating Daniel and company, i.e., "parts of three years". So Dan. 1:5 in no way contradicts the understanding that I have given

I noted that you did not take account of my argument, backed by a number of quotations, that show that it is entirely possible for Daniel to have used the accession year system and still consistently have mentioned the first years of Darius the Mede and Cyrus. You really ought to go over my post again and make specific comments on my arguments. I will also comment that your post is not nearly as sharply argued as usual; perhaps it having been 3:30 am when you were writing explains it. I can give strong arguments against all of your objections; if you don't find the problem areas, I will.

Here's an example, partly left over from our previous couple of posts: With respect to Daniel you stated: "I compared it with the record of his reign at 2 Kings 23 and concluded that as it said nothing about a siege of Jerusalem prior to his becoming servant of Nebuchadnezzar..." But the material you quoted, from 2 Kings 23:36 - 24:13, clearly does say something about a siege. 2 Kings 24:1 says, "In his days Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up, and so Jehoiakim became his servant for three years." What does that expression "came up" mean? I'll let some other passages from 2 Kings illustrate:

2 Kings 17:1-3
    In the twelfth year of Ahaz the king of Judah, Hoshea the son of Elah became king in Samaria over Israel for nine years... 3 It was against him that Shalmaneser the king of Assyria came up, and Hoshea came to be his servant and began to pay tribute to him.

2 Kings 18:9-10
    9 And it came about in the fourth year of King Hezekiah, that is, the seventh year of Hoshea the son of Elah the king of Israel, that Shalmaneser the king of Assyria came up against Samaria and began to lay siege to it. 10 And they got to capture it at the end of three years...

2 Kings 18:13
    13 And in the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah, Sennacherib the king of Assyria came up against all the fortified cities of Judah and proceeded to seize them.

2 Kings 24:8-10
    8 Eighteen years old was Jehoiachin when he began to reign, and for three months he reigned in Jerusalem... 10 During that time the servants of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up to Jerusalem, so that the city came under siege.

In view of the above, it is obvious that the meaning of 2 Kings 24:1 is as follows: "In his days Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came up against Jerusalem and lay siege to it. In time Jehovah gave into his hand Jehoiakim the king of Judah, and so Jehoiakim became his vassal for three years." If Nebuchadnezzar had not actually siezed Jerusalem by force, do you really think that Jehoiakim would have just up and said, "Hey! I want to be your servant! Let's make a deal!" I think not.

Given that I (really, far more competent people than I) have given good reasons why a natural reading of Dan. 1:1 and 2:1 is to be preferred, not just because a natural reading is always to be preferred unless a contradiction with demonstrated facts can be shown, but because it perfectly jibes with what we have already agree with respect to the end of the 70 years (i.e., they ended in 539 B.C.), for your arguments to hold water you need to demonstrate why all of my arguments are either wrong or inconsistent with demonstrated and provable facts, and why your arguments are to be preferred. It does not do to simply present an apparently consistent set of arguments -- you need to demonstrate why it is to be preferred over other apparently consistent sets of arguments.

Yes, I'm waiting for your response to an earlier post, but I'm patient. It doesn't make a lot of difference in what order we cover this stuff, although I consider this stuff about Daniel 1:1 to be relatively small potatos.

Looking forward to your next post. Please don't rush. I much prefer that you take your time and cover all your bases.

AlanF

Edited by - AlanF on 19 January 2003 1:32:0

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Looking forward to your next post. Please don't rush. I much prefer that you take your time and cover all your bases.

Alan, I have taken you at your word and am spending some time over this. As you, aChristian and scholar have all recommended that I read what Carl Jonsson has to say about the seventy years I have ordered his most recent edition of 'The Gentile Times Reconsidered' to supplement what has already been said. I have had his second edition for the last ten years or so and was impressed with his scholarship when I studied it. I have also obtained a commentary on Jeremiah (ICC) and will be consulting some of the books recommended by 'scholar'. This is not really the route I wanted to go down because truth be told it is not that important to me. When I studied GTR ten years ago I was not entirely convinced of Jonsson's case but I was convinced that there were other valid interpretations of scripture which did not point to 1914. So while there are many beliefs that I share with JWs this is not one of them. Not because it is definitely, absolutely wrong as you maintain...but because it is not definitely, absolutely right. Yet it's clear this is of interest to many (and I think you should be given a run for your money) so I will return with what I find.

In the meantime I would like to make some of the articles 'scholar' referred to available to the forum for consideration. This is an excursus on 'Seventy Years' in Volume 27 of the 'Word Biblical Commentary', 'Jeremiah 26-52', 1995, pp.73-81:

The concept of seventy years as the measure of Israel's subjugation under Babylonian rule occurs six times in the OT: Jer 25:11-12; 29:10; Zech 1:12; 7:5; Dan 9:2; 2 Chr 36:21. In addition, Isa 23:15,17 promises that the LORD will deal with Tyre at the end of seventy years, a period equivalent to a king's lifetime. Ps 90:10 give seventy years as the typical human lifespan, filled with suffering, but passing quickly. The number seventy, the product of the symbolic numbers seven and ten, is the measure of completeness in Gen 46:27; Deut 10:22; Gen 50:3; Judg 1:7; 1 Sam 6:19; 2 Sam 24:15.

Seventy years also appears in an inscription of Esarhaddon that states that Marduk declared seventy years of punishment against Babylon. This extrabiblical use may be coincidental, or it may be evidence of a scribal convention. Possibly a conventional number of years for a human lifetime - a long, but not unimaginable period (Ps 90:10; Isa 23:15) - was used in the ancient Near East to express the typical duration of divine punishment (Esarhaddon inscription; Isa 23:15). This conventional time period turned out to correspond closely to the actual length of Babylonian domination, or the temple's desolation, so the motif became an important part of biblical descriptions of those events.None of the OT occurrences, however, designates the precise dates (i.e., regnal years) for the beginning or ending of the seventy-year span. 2 Chron 36 comes closest by naming the first year of Cyrus in v 22, following the mention of seventy years in v 21. Cyrus's occupation of Babylon marked the terminus of Babylonian rule over the Jews. The complete context implies, however, that Chronicles is counting the years of the temple's desolation, which did not end with Cyrus's edict in 538 B.C. Whitley ["The Term Seventy Years Captivity." VT 4 (1954) 60-72] is correct, therefore, in seeing the seventy years in 2 Chr 36 as the period from the temple's destruction in 586 to the completion of the second temple in 515 B.C. (Whitley says 516; pp.68-69.) Whitley concludes that 586-16 is the specific time indicated by "seventy years" in Jeremiah, Zechariah, and Daniel also, even though the period is described as pertaining to Babylonian rule in Jer 25 and 29.

Other terminal dates have been proposed. Nebuchadrezzar's victory at Carchemish and accession to the throne in 605 B.C. marked the beginning of Babylonian hegemony in Syria-Palestine. Cyrus's occupation of Babylon in 539 brought it to an end. These dates, a span of sixty-six years, fit the descriptions in Jer 25:11 (seventy years' service to the king of Babylon), 25:12 (Babylon punished after seventy years), and 29:10 (seventy years completed for Babylon). Thompson [The Word of the Lord in Jeremiah, Tyndale Old Testament Lecture, 1959] (547) observes that seventy-three years passed from the fall of Nineveh (612) to the fall of Babylon (539). It is also interesting to note that 609 was precisely seventy years prior to 539. In 609 Josiah died, and Jerusalem was made to accept her first foreign-appointed king, Jehoiakim, who eventually switched his allegiance from Pharaoh to Nebuchadrezzar.

Zechariah looks back on the past seventy years, which had been filled with God's anger (1:12) and with mourning and fasting by the people (7:5), and asks if the end is near. The verses appear in oracles dated, respectively, in 522 and 520 B.C. They focus upon the period of the temple's desolation, which was a major concern of Zechariah's ministry. The results of Babylonian conquest had endured longer than Babylon herself. Although there is no mention of a divine promise, these passages imply the expectation of an end to Jerusalem's suffering after seventy years.

Both 2 Chr 36 and Dan 9 engage in further interpretation and calculation with the number seventy. Gabriel informs Daniel (9:24) that the seventy-years prophecy read in the scroll of Jeremiah really means seventy weeks of years, seventy times seven or 490 years. Furthermore, Dan 9:25 places the beginning of the second week of years in 539 or 538, at the issuance of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem...The Chronicler offers another theological interpretation of the seventy years, this time by counting backward. The seventy years make up for seventy sabbatical years that were never observed (Lev 25:1-7; 26:27-35). Seventy seven-year periods, 490 years, had passed without the required observance. The beginning of this period would have coincided with the initiation of the Israelite monarchy in the eleventh century, which is where the Chronicler's narrative history begins (1 Chr 10).

Babylon's seventy years in Jer 29:10 should be interpreted both politically and personally. The political interpretation gives to the number seventy a meaning within international history as a more or less precise count of the time elapsed between two significant political events. Subsequent interpretation, beginning with 2 Chr 36 and Dan 9, has given attention to the coherence of the seventy-years prophecy with the known events of history. 2 Chr 36 reports its fulfillment...The Daniel passage seems to be concerned with a delay in fulfillment. The seventy-years prophecy was true, but its full meaning had to be learned from further revelation (9:25).

Many contemporary commentators attribute 29:10 to the subsequent interpretation of Jeremiah's letter in vv 4-7, which gives no hint of an eventual return from exile. Some interpreters conclude that the seventy-years prophecy was added only after it was fulfilled...Another solution, put forward by Thiel (WMANT 52, 1981, p.17), dates 29:10 to a time around 550, when the eventual demise of Babylon was certain but had not yet occurred. Whitley...argues for a precise period of seventy actual years, 586-516 (VT 7 [1957] 417).

I will try to include details of what Whitley argued in the next installment.

Earnest

• AlanF
    AlanF

Gotcha, Earnest. I really do mean it when I say to take your time.

Looking forward to the next installment.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

a Christian

I am sorry for taking so long in replying to your query concerning the alleged contradiction between Daniel 1:1 and Daniel 2:1. I have researched this subject thoroughly using the Society's publications, commentaries etc and Jonsson's GTR, 3rd edition, 1998, Appendix article 'The Third Rear of Jehoiakim', pp.335-344. I set out on paper a chart containing dates (secular and Society's), reigns for Jehoiakim and Nebuchadnezzar, brief description of each historical events, relevant scriptural texts and the synchronisms between the reigns of Nebuchadnezzar and Jehoiakim. This chart presents in a simple and visual way the complete range of data.

I have found that the Society's explanation to be accurate and that there is no contradiction between Dan.1:1 and 2:1. Jonsson's thesis contains a few errors of fact, asumptions and poor scholarship. But overall analysis was most helpful in checking the historical reconstruction made by the Society. But most importantly, my research revealed a significant fact that has been overlooked by all scholars that I have checked thus far and does not appear in any of the Society's publications.

My post is brief but I will give more details later as I need to format my research offline when time permits.

You need to read those two texts carefully to see what is in common. It all hangs on this in the final analysis.

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• aChristian
    aChristian

Scholar,

You wrote: I set out on paper a chart containing dates (secular and Society's), reigns for Jehoiakim and Nebuchadnezzar ...

You may want to enter the portion of your chart containing the Society's dates for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar in a contest for works of science fiction. It might just win a prize. For "no date in ancient history is more firmly established than" the date of Nebuchadnezzar's accession in 605 B.C. ( Quoted from Handbook of Biblical Chronology, Jack Finegan, 1998 )

You wrote: I have found that the Society's explanation to be accurate and that there is no contradiction between Dan.1:1 and 2:1.

I agree that there is no contradiction between Daniel 1:1 and 2:1. Nebuchadnezzar besieged Jerusalem in his accession year, which corresponded to Jehoiakim's third year. As verses 3, 4 and 5 indicate, Daniel and some other young Israelite men were then taken as captives to Babylon where they were trained to serve the king for a period of three years. Daniel 2:1 indicates that Daniel began his service to Nebuchadnezzar in his second year as king. The Jews often used "inclusive reckoning" when counting the passage of time, counting parts of years in their year counts. Using such reckoning Daniel would have counted Nebuchadnezzar's accession year as the first year of his training, Nebuchadnezzar's first regnal year as the second year of his training, and Nebuchadnezzar's second regnal year as the third year of his training. There is no contradiction in the scriptures on this matter.

Neither is there any reason for the Society to say that these verses mean anything different from what they plainly state. Other than the fact that what they plainly state causes problems for the Society's explanation of the Bible's "seventy years" prophecies, the Society's unique 607 date for the destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon and, most importantly to them, their teaching that Christ returned in 1914 and, in 1919, appointed the men who run the Watchtower Society over all his belongings.

You wrote: Jonsson's thesis contains a few errors of fact, assumptions and poor scholarship.

I will be very surprised to see you post any examples of what you allege. Your posts seldom contain any real substance. This one certainly did not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit