Are JW women repressed in the org?

by Tina 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

They are not allowed to deal with congregation accounts, decisions on decorating, or the running of any department. They are allowed to be actively involved in weekly hall cleaning, though again this must be organized by a male.
    ----

Well this is just not always the case as far as cleaning is concerned in my area. Nor decorating. We just decorated our hall, and some sisters were consulted about colors, etc. And a former CO left the organizing of feeding brothers who were attending our Kingdom Hall for a ministerial training school to a sister in my cong. He delegated. He just told her the dates, and which congregations to contact to organize the days each one was supposed to bring food. And <gasp> she had to call elders.

Also the elders in my area leave the organizing of setting up schedules for taking care of and bringing food to those who are sick.

I guess Florida is really on another planet.

• Tina
    Tina

,,,oic cooking and feeding schedules are really hall marks of freedom,but you still needed the bros permission-he 'let' you do it..........
    "he got the letter,he delegated' the sister didnt get the letter,the sisters didnt delegate' yes you needed his permission.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ,,,oic cooking and feeding schedules are really hall marks of freedom,but you still needed the bros permission-he 'let' you do it..........

FP>>Well since he was the one who had received the letter in the mail (and not her) about what was going on, he could have just as easily called a brother to take care of it, though. Yet he called her, told her the dates and said handle it. That is not letting, but delegating. He could have easily told a brother to take care of it all.

• ianao
    ianao

Tina:

(We are on the main forum).

Also, I believe flowerpetal is attempting to openly rationalize her personal experiences as a counter argument to the majority's observations, in hopes of justifying her position. It's an irrational defense mechanism inherent in most witnesses I've come accross. Seems to run with the territory.

In english: She seems to be in theocratic defense mode.

I find it fascinating to see this behavior manifest despite the lack of a biblical discussion.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I know I am going to be outnumbered as far as opinions. and or experiences on this matter is concerned, but majorities don't scare me. Nor do I feel this need to rally people behind me to show or prove somebody wrong. Each of us speak from our own experience from whatever cong in whatever part of the country or world they live. I can only speak from where I'm coming from.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Ianao>>Also, I believe flowerpetal is attempting to openly rationalize her personal experiences as a counter argument to the majority's observations, in hopes of justifying her position. It's an irrational defense mechanism inherent in most witnesses I've come accross. Seems to run with the territory.

In english: She is in theocratic defense mode.
    -----

FP>>Before you put your foot in your mouth any further, perhaps you would like to do a search of my posts in the last few days just to see where I'm at.

It appears that Tina just doesn't like when people contradict her. but that's OK. I got big shoulders.

• ianao
    ianao

flowerpetal:

Each of us speak from our own experience from whatever cong in whatever part of the country or world they live. I can only speak from where I'm coming from.

Also very interesting to see you talk out of two sides of your mouth. Perhaps you will remember these words the next time you speak to others regarding "unity".

BTW: Don't know about you, but I don't eat feet.

Also, let's not kid each other. You know as well as I do that given the chance, you would use your "open experiences" to convert a newcomer should you see fit, and you know it. I've had the same tactics used on me many times before:

"Pedophiles? I've never heard of pedophiles in my congregation. God's people don't do things like that. Besides, I'm sure we would be told if one of us were discovered to be a pedophile, it's the right thing to do! Would you want your children exposed to someone like that? I wouldn't. Pedophiles... Don't be silly. We are God's people. You have nothing to worry about..."

logical conclusion: "No pedophiles amongst Jehovah's Witnesses." Right?

yeah, right.

Different topic, same thought process.

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Tina,
    Great topic, I took the time to read the other thread for reference.
    Geez Flowerpetal seems perfectly content in the lala land she lives in. I remember when they announced that a woman would be on the decorating commitees. Everyone ooh and ahhed. I sat in my chair (a youngster at the time) Shaking my head in disgust. How convenient for them that us sisters can contribute so much to this org. Oh and how happy the sisters were to help, only to realize the final answer is indeed dependant on what the brothers want.

Flowerpetal,
    Sister I realize some woman are scared of power, as it seems to be in your case. But others are not, they have a voice that needs to be heard. There are so many woman who are intelligent, charasmatic, and envangalistic. Why are they repressed? Why can't we hear a talk from them on Sunday morning? I have heard plenty of talks that would put me to sleep, but a sister gets up for her 5 minute demonstration, and I am all ears. There is a diffeerence between men and woman, I think we all agree on this. And it is really easier for some to hide behind the coat tails of their husband. But something you must remember, not all woman want to do this. I for one have a voice that I want heard. I don't want to be dismissed because of the ability to wear a dress.
    If you are happy with this, then so be it. But don't deny it isn't there...it is and I bet in thousands of references written by the wtbts in black and white.
    wendy

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

flowerpetal:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Each of us speak from our own experience from whatever cong in whatever part of the country or world they live. I can only speak from where I'm coming from.

Ianao>>Also very interesting to see you talk out of two sides of your mouth. Perhaps you will remember these words the next time you speak to others regarding "unity".

FP>>Where am I talking out of two sides of my mouth? What I don't like and it appears you are doing it as well, is making assumptions about my life and experiences. I thought this forum was for a free exchange without people being in judgement of others, yet I am being judged, just for relating things as I have seen them.

Ianao>>BTW: Don't know about you, but I don't eat feet.

FP>>Great! Glad to know that.

Also, let's not kid each other. You know as well as I do that given the chance, you would use your "open experiences" to convert a newcomer should you see fit, and you know it. I've had the same tactics used on me many times before:

"Pedophiles? I've never heard of pedophiles in my congregation. God's people don't do things like that. Besides, I'm sure we would be told if one of us were discovered to be a pedophile, it's the right thing to do! Would you want your children exposed to someone like that? I wouldn't. Pedophiles... Don't be silly. We are God's people. You have nothing to worry about..."

logical conclusion: "No pedophiles amongst Jehovah's Witnesses." Right?

yeah, right.

Different topic, same thought process.

FP>>Not for me Ianao. I am not in that thought process.

• mommy
    mommy

Ianao,
    Thank you! I have enjoyed your posts on this subject matter!
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit