Are JW women repressed in the org?

by Tina 67 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Flowerpetal,

To disagree with the majority is ALWAYS a mistake. Please remember that!

IW

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Let's see....are JW women repressed? A good JW woman (as we've seen) will state that she is not, in fact, repressed, but that she exercises humility and shows proper subjection to authority (her husband, the elders, the ministerial servants, or any other male in the congregation).

When told that she shouldn't develop a worldly attitude by getting a good education, she, of course, acquiesces. She honestly feels that this is her own choice so that she can "serve Jehovah" more fully.

Can she look forward to a fulfilling life as a single woman? Not likely. A single woman in the congregation is a mere cipher....she barely exists as an entity if she is not attached to a man...preferably a powerful, elder-type man. Repression? Not in HER mind. However, a single male is a very desirable commodity. Double standard?

If she does marry, can she choose to pursue a career without guilt? Or will she be counseled about her poor attitude and advised to follow the "proper" course for a Christian woman, which is, of course, taking care of her "man" and his home?

If the woman was of the anointed, could she look forward to possibly some day joining the GB? Oh, sure....when pigs fly! Could she even consider joining the Bethel family in any sort of leadership capacity? Even if she were more capable than most of the brothers serving there? Not likely.

Even though a woman like FP might not desire power within the organization, she might consider whether or not she even has a VOICE within the organization. Is she free to discuss her opinions with elders without first going through her husband as "head". From my experience, a woman's opinion is neither sought after nor considered.

While the repression may not manifest itself in actual, physical chains; it is, in fact rampant within the JW organization. A woman dare not make a decision until it has received the approval of her "master"....whether that master be a husband or one of the male elders within the congregation. To flaunt the rules results in castigation and a reputation as an arrogant, high-minded female who refuses to accept her "scriptural" position (which is, in fact, as resident doormat).

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman
    Flowerpetal,

To disagree with the majority is ALWAYS a mistake. Please remember that!

IW

How is having a differing opinion a mistake? Discussion results in discovering new ideas. Definitely NOT a mistake....unless the aim is to foster total conformity.

• orbison
    orbison

so why was a brother not delegated to feed the masses???

• orbison
    orbison

• orbison
    orbison

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

RedhorseWoman,

Conformity does seem to be what is required sometimes on XJW Discussion Boards. Otherwise the tendency to "put down" the offending poster would not be so prevalent!

IW

• mommy
    mommy

Iw,
    You are mistaken. I spoke with FP in chat this evening and we discussed this subject, therefore no reply on my part. But you also came into chat this evening and spent 1/2 to 1 hour with us discussing nothing. We tried to engage you in conversation, Farkel was gracious to you and tried to find a common thread, you didn't want to do this. Instead you used the chat to lash insults at him.
    I think the greatest thing about this discussion board is the ability to hash out our differences. When your brain has been brainwashed like all of us have, it is hard to see past our own viewpoint, or the one viewpoint instilled in it.
    I beg of you to just read the threads here, watch the human transactions that take place. Sometimes it take shouting to get your point across, just remember we are shouting to save a life. To make others see the what the wtbts has done to their minds.
    I am glad you have ventured over...remember I invited you?
    But leave the personal insults at the door, watch, listen, and learn.
    I am really glad you have come over to check us out.
    wendy

• Tina
    Tina

iw,
    you dont know the difference between conformity and open debate. Dont start those flamer tactics like you did on h20. RHW was right on,whether you agree or not. Tina

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Wendy,

You said I lashed insults at Farkel in the chat room. Could you please explain exactly what "insults" are you talking about? Also, I had never been in a chat room before. "Discussing nothing", was simply trying to get my bearing. BTW I did say there that I thought Flowerpetal was not given a fair shake.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit