Question

by Mantis 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mantis
    Mantis

Hi, I've been reading this site for quite a while now. I've read the Gentile Times Reconsidered book and found it very interesting. I've tried to verify everything in that book and found it to be accurate. I'm wondering and this may seem to be a silly question but: What does the WTS have to gain from misleading people other than the "Control" factor?? I'm trying to discuss all the points brought up in the book and other points but my wife always goes back to "who else is preaching" about the kingdom? I'm kind of at a lose on what to say to her. Any suggestions??

Thanks

• hooberus
    hooberus

You may wish to discuss with her the many other groups such as the Mormons, Philadelphia Church of God etc. which also "preach the kingdom" Then ask if they are then the true religion also?

She may then bring up who else is "making Jehovah's name known" The Mormons as well as other groups also "tell people about Jehovah" In fact there is a whole group of religions known as the sacred name movement which use the name Jehovah, or Yahweh, or some other form of the tetragrammaton. Ask if this makes them the true religion also?

Edited by - hooberus on 30 December 2002 11:42:30

• yucca
    yucca

acts 1:8 jesus said you are to be witnesses of me. the bible is a jesus book. old testament prophecies of jesus.the old testament is the new testament comcealed. the new testament is old testament revealed. it is not about jehovahs name. god bless

• Mulan
    Mulan

Ask her "what is the kingdom message they are preaching? Is it the same message talked about in Galatians, the only message they were commanded to preach?" You might also ask her when was the last time she actually preached about the kingdom, or wasn't she talking about the WT and Awake.

Also, there are other religions preaching a Kingdom message. We were always told we were the only ones who didn't believe the Trinity, Hellfire, didn't go to war, the onlyones who used God's name, Jehovah, and the only ones who preached the Kingdom. You will learn that there are others. We definitely were NOT the only ones.

Edited by - mulan on 30 December 2002 11:57:20

• Roddy
    Roddy

Mulan >>Also, there are other religions preaching a Kingdom message. We were always told we were the only ones who didn't believe the Trinity, Hellfire, didn't go to war, the onlyones who used God's name, Jehovah, and the only ones who preached the Kingdom. You will learn that there are others. We definitely were NOT the only ones.<<

There is such an information Iron Curtin it is paranoid. You have to eat everything the WTS says without independant verification or external information. It has been a shock to me that our teachings are not exclusive. I found out that even 1914 is not exclusive because there are many Russellite organizations out there.

Does anyone know of a website that pretty much gives a highlight and summary of what the different religions teach?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Mantis, The preaching line is a separate issue and it's a red herring. The strategy is to get a loop started and keep making it bigger. I have never found any reason to talk with someone who does that. The straw man approach is a looser's tactic. It's about control and indicated to me I was talking to the wrong person.

Best wishes, gary

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Basically everything I was going to say here has already been said, but in addition, some of these groups such as the Mormons, Baptists, etc have been preaching their word for much much longer than the JWs. In fact, the Mormons alone have at least a 50-60 year head start on the JWs. And they most certainly do preach the word of Jehovah, I know, I had to listen to it for months before I finally got rid of them :)

They seem to get alot further as well in their preaching. They're one of the fastest growing religions in history, if not THE fastest. And if you count man hours, well they're doing some work for sure! Considering the average congregation has what, maybe 4-6 missionaries. But they're out there like busy little bees. I can hardly ever leave my house without seeing them scurrying around on their handy little bicycles, doing the same work their forefathers were doing way back in 1830 or so. So, no, the JWs certainly don't have a corner on this market.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Mantis,

Gary is right. She might as well have put her fingers in her ears and screamed "don't tell me the TRUTH. I don't want to hear it!" Changing the subject is what almost all dubs do when they have no arguments.

The Gentile Times (607-1914) prophecy is critical to the "control factor" and the power wielded by the GB, because their so-called "appointment over all Christ's belongings" in 1919 is hooked to 1914 ("3 and 1/2 times"). Without that "appointment," they cannot claim any spiritual authority.

Interestingly enough the term "times" from 607 to 1914 means "years of days of years", but the word "times" in the prophecy the WT uses from 1914 to 1914 merely mean years. It's a whole house-of-cards and if enough dubs would do the work you did to understand it, they wouldn't be dubs.

But dubs are LAZY and love being spoon fed their spiritual pablum.

Farkel

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Has JW missionaries gone into fields that had not been opened by other missionaries?

Why is the Catholic church still growing? (insert any church that is growing)

I think in one of Ray's books, Crisis of Conscience or In Search of Christian Freedom, he goes into some reasoning on that question your wife states. It is a common statement by good dubbies (They are trained well!)

j2bf

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Mantis,

Cool name! Welcome to the forum!

Preaching. . . . interesting that the jws think they are the only ones who preach.. . . . seems to me, the jws are all TOLD what to believe and that is just one of the things they are told, namely .. .. they are the only ones that preach!!! They are being spoon fed, as Farkel says.

(by the way, I thoroughly enjoy your posts, Farkel!!)

Interestingly, when I was jw and went preaching I met people who had a strong faith in God and had spiritual experiences where they felt they had divine backing. The jws are TOLD that they are the ONLY ones with strong faith and divine backing. I found this little detail very fascinating, and now I believe that is one of the things that has helped me to see the cracks in the organization. Glad the preaching was good for something!!! <LMAO>

Yes, the jws are certainly an organization of control and fear . . .

I sincerely hope you will be able to help your wife see the real truth and leave the jws! May the force be with you!!!

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit