Question

by Mantis 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waiting
    waiting

howdy farkel,

But dubs are LAZY and love being spoon fed their spiritual pablum. -Farkel

Definitely, some are. But I was speaking about Revelation to a college graduate (who is much smarter than me btw) - and I was explaining the JW view of a couple of Revelation scriptures.....and the complicated run-around necessary to even try to put it into words, let alone some good-sounding (yet false) logic.

He finally said "But they make it so complicated. Why?"

Laughing, several xjw's chimed in & said "So that we wouldn't question it too much. Just take their word for it."

So yeah, some laziness, but also......most of us didn't have the time, intelligence and resources to figure *it* out. Or perhaps we just didn't care that deeply - but couldn't admit it? And remember, when some tried to question the WT, we were told by the elders we questioned: "They have the libraries & resources to establish authenticity. They've been trained. They'll do the research for us, for no one man could read so much information. We need to concentrate on the preaching work of saving lives."

Ok, perhaps laziness did fit in there. But few of us had time or inclination.

waiting

• Carmel
    Carmel

Eyes,

Did I ever tell you what pretty purple skin you have?

I think I'm in love................

caveman

• Mantis
    Mantis

Thanks for ALL the advice - I appreciate it. I'll let ya know what happens ;)

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Roddy,

Does anyone know of a website that pretty much gives a highlight and summary of what the different religions teach?

http://www.religioustolerance.org

www.selectsmart.org (has a 20 question quiz and after you answer it it'll tell you how 27 religions rate percentage-wise regarding your beliefs).

• Buster
    Buster

Welcome Mantis!

I love how JWs start their logic with a conclusion. 'Who else is preaching the good news?' She works with the assumption that the JW brand of preaching is what was prescribed in the bible. That is not nearly as solid as she would like. Read Ray Franz' description of Fred Franz' cynical rationlization of the 'door to door' interpretation (it may be in "In Search of Christian Freedom").

Why is the '1914 teaching' so complicated? My nonDub-Dad was a pretty good salesman and he had a fun little saying (I think he spoke it about the JWs at one time or another): If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t.

Why do they stick to it? Yes it is closely tied to their basis of authority. I haven't the slightest idea of what they would be preaching if they abandoned the 1914 teaching. Where would the imminent destruction of almost all humans fit, if there were no 'establishment of God's kingdom' in heaven?

Good lick and enjoy yourself here.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Besides control, the WTS stands to gain lots of money. They get the money in contributions, through literature and through property left to them in wills.

As far as your wife asking: ""who else is preaching" about the kingdom?". All churches preach about the kingdom. They just aren't annoying about it the way that JW are.

Robyn

Edited to add: Welcome to the forum.

Edited by - robdar on 31 December 2002 14:29:5

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It was asked what was to be gained by clinging to 1914 and other outdated chronology, the answer is...belief. These men beleive what they are telling us and are themseves anxiously awaiting a heavenly calling. The power of belief coupled with he power to invent that belief have created a vortex. Who of us if we were told day after day by direction hungry people that we were God's channel wouldn't begin to believe it and could remain completely objective. Surely our own hopes of imminent salvation would taint our thinking too. This subtle but steady bias would easily be interpreted by us as God's leadings, thereby reinforcing the cycle. I have spent hours with governing body members alive and dead. They believe what they are teaching. They are victims of human credulity as much as we are and all of us alike are responsible for the present situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit