Hello all. Just introducing myself

by JamesThomas 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

This is my first introduction post and my second post all together. I hid in the corner for some time, just watching. I was raised from about the age of five in the "truth". After very rebellious teens and moving out on my own at sixteen, I was baptized in my early twenties. About ten years later I was disfellowshipped because I found, to everyone's amazement and especially my own, that I could not pray to Jehovah (or the vengeful concept of God), at a meeting which I was having with the elders. It seems my heart was way ahead of my mind on this one. I'm almost fifty-two now. Many years have gone by, but I still feel the pain of losing people I love, will always love, who shun me. I still pay a price for the distorted view of God, the world, and the universe that was so deeply programmed in me. I never did quite fit into the Borg, and I may not fit in here. My first post a couple of pages into a string, was not totally welcomed. The person who started the string wanted advise as to how to inform an elderly neighbor -- who had started a study with the dubs -- as to what she was getting into. I can understand how keeping a person out of the Borg would bring a sense of satisfaction and a new notch on our pistol to be proud of. But is our motivation out of true love and compassion for others, or is it out of our own selfish satisfaction, animosity and prejudice? I stated, in the above mentioned string, that it may be best not to meddle in the elderly persons life; and that being a JW in some instances may be healthy and emotionally satisfying for some people. Especially the elderly and lonely. I was told to read more about the pain and harm that association with the JW's can inflict before I make such statements. But, you see -- I know the pain. I too have lived it. But, it does not change the fact that the Borg shoe fits and is a blessing for many. It's foolish not to admit it. I was in no way critized harshly for my post, in fact I was welcomed; but I would like to make mention of this: In the "Post by Ray Franz", here on this forum, Ray says "Watch Tower leaders view negatively any "independent thinking" and feel justified with criticizing harshly those who do not line up with them. I find it depressing that many former Witnesses who attack the Watch Tower organization, proceed to manifest a similar spirit and use similar tactics toward those who do not line up with their thinking". I basically agree, and yet I also can understand it. I think that as Witness's we were subtly programmed to hate and despise other than our own; and as ex-JW's we often carry that programming with us. I have found in myself many instances of this. The characters may have changed roles, but the play remains the same. Now, instead of "the world" being evil, it's the WBTS. Those freshly out of the Borg may indeed require a period of anger and hostility towards the Society, for they may -- in many ways -- have been violated. However, at no time in my life experience have I seen true healing happen while hatred and anger were being supported and fed. The longer you keep your hand in the fire, the more dangerous the wound becomes. We identify with and become very protective of out prejudice and hatreds (well earned or not). As I become conscious of mine and begin the sometimes slow process of shedding them, I find I am more at peace. Life is brighter. I find that evil and suffering are often carried in my pocket; and are something I can discard. If I do post here in the future, I will do my best not to feed and support the anger. Thank you for listening to my spiel. James T

Edited by - jamesthomas on 30 December 2002 15:6:57

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board, James Thomas. I think you're going to fit in quite nicely. We are all a bunch of misfits

Hugs,

j2bf

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Welcome James. I have found in my 6 years out of the Borg, that the EXJWs are as diversified as the sands. They dont all categorically hate or dislike any one thing. I agree with your assertion that the Borg is good for some people. But the fact remains that there are many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who are deeply unhappy in there and like we were, didnt see a way out of it. Stuck as they were with the repercussions of daring to leave Mother Dearest. Yes it might be good for that little old lady on the corner...but then again, is it good to now take away her holidays? Her birthdays? And her worldly friends? Is revamping her whole life a good thing? The JWs do NOT give new ones any kind of even handed sales pitch when recruiting. They dont tell you everything you SHOULD know prior to coming in. We all know it because we all DID it to other people to recruit THEM.

Yes Im still full of hatred for this Organization. They have categorically destroyed my family. Blown it to bits, and theres not a damned thing I can do about it. And the people in here are HURT and they DESERVE to voice their pain, AND to direct it at those who have perpetrated it upon them.

Personally, since I cannot fix the mess my family is forever left in, I have sworn to keep others out of this cult. And help those who want to leave find comfort in doing so. I dont need to replace this religion with another. Someones spiritual journey doesnt have the name of a church on it...its between them and God and if they can see that they have choices, something the WTS has TAKEN from them, and that God goes with them when they make different choices than becoming a Jw....then by God...Im going to continue showing them.

How many of us would have continued in that hell had we not found EACH OTHER? And the HOPE that brings?

• freedom96
    freedom96

Hi, and welcome to the board. Look forward to reading more posts from you.

• Marcos
    Marcos

Welcome to the board.

Interesting post. Sometimes it does seem that there is something less than a wecoming attitude for ideas that run counter to the general opinion. And, while it is true that there are some here who's main purpose seems to be to disrupt, most of us are sincere about trying to help others who need good advice. Most of the health advice you saw on the other thread usually ended with an exhortation to go see a doctor.

Personally, I could do without such graphic posts but that is the nature of a board like this one. And, who knows, this might be the only source of advice and encouragement that some people have?

You said:

I think that as Witness's we were subtly programmed to hate and despise other than our own; and as ex-JW's we often carry that programming with us.

Excellently stated! That one has repeatedly bitten me in the a** for a lot of years. The legacy of dogmatic, black and white thinking! I do believe it is good to be strong in what we believe. But it is, at the very least, harmful to insist that everyone see things our own way. As you mention further on, regarding predjudices:

As I become conscious of mine and begin the sometimes slow process of shedding them, I find I am more at peace. Life is brighter. I find that evil and suffering are often carried in my pocket; and are something I can discard.

It has also been my experience that "lightening up" and letting others find their own way gives me a lot more peace in my life.

Thank you for your post. I look forward to reading many more.

Marcos

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

Welcome James, on behalf of all the rest of us who post comments here which are not always "totally welcomed"! If you've hung around this forum any at all, I'm sure you know there's a wide spectrum of mind-sets here. But that's a good thing. It's good to get more than one or two perspectives on an issue. Even when they seem totally absurd or eve piss you off, it's a hell of a lot better than a bunch of mindless drones who complacently nod in agreement with whatever is put before them.

And by the way, I can relate to your feelings, with regard to the loss of old friends. Regardless of what that organization, as a whole, may be, there are indeed a lot of very good individuals still in it's grasp.

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

Hi James Thomas, welcome!

You made some very good points, I agree with youfor the most part. When I was "in the Tuth" I really loved it and it was mostly a positive experience for me...I loved it, and because I projected how much I enjoyed it others were drawn to me in the congregation. I was the only one in my family that became a JW and I was very depressed and lonely when JWs first came to my door....I got the love and attention I so desprately needed and I learned a lot and I grew personally and spiritually but after awhile I came to see that the "truth" was not what I was told it was, and it was devastating to realize that.

For some people, becoming a Witness brings meaning and hope to a person, but the problem is that that person cannot really weigh if pros and cons and make a decision to become a Witness with all the facts. Folks get baptised not realizing what they are getting themselves into.....they don't know the lies about the truth, or the "the truth about The Truth." I have to accept now, that I was living in a fantasy......it's like when a child first realizes that Santa is not real.....magnified by a million times.... what is that fantasy worth? Family, friends, a fulfilling life with friends who love you unconditionally thrown away for those that only love conditionally?

When I was on my way out of the Borg, one of my co-workers was studing with a sister from my home congregation. I sat the study down (we were friends and originally I had started the study with her) and explained that I knew I was going to be D'fd and that I understood if she didn't want to talk to me anymore. She had a hard time understanding the whole shunning thing. I didn't want to stumble her, so I tried to be honest with her and tell her like it really is without slandering anyone etc. The result was that she eventually stopped studying...but it was her choice. I just tried to educate her on the reality of becoming a Witness, and let her make the decision. If I met someone who was studying, I would take the same approach, be honest, direct them to resources to verify what I say, pray for direction, and leave the decision to them, respecting whatever they decide.

Truth

• Farkel
    Farkel
    I think that as Witness's we were subtly programmed to hate and despise other than our own; and as ex-JW's we often carry that programming with us.

No me. I hate everyone equally.

Farkel

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Farkel....do you see a reflection when you pass a mirror?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Hi & welcome to the forum!!! I have to say that I find your comments refreshing & definitely will look forward to hearing more of your thoughts. I appreciate a good discussion, even though "unwelcome posts" may appear to take alot of "crap" - rest assured some of us truly do feel that we learn by listening (reading) from a pool of opinions, and truly appreciate someone who "thinks outside the box".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit