Where is help for old ones/Battered wives etc.

by lulu 15 Replies latest social family

• LB
    LB

A woman in my old hall was on the verge of becoming homeless. Most people didn't want to help out as they figured she had screwed herself up by not working or "trusting" in Jehovah enough. A couple of us did lend a hand and got her into a very small travel trailer in a park. Even after doing this the others felt we had "enabled' her to live the way she does. I guess it would have been better had she lived under a bridge someplace?

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

I have personally experienced kind and loving care in the way of gifts of money and of housing when I was going through what I call my "homeless adventure" when I was coming into and then later a part of, the JWs.

So, I don't think it's fair to say most JW congregation are entirely heartless to needy ones, because I know that that's not true from my own personal experience, BUT, I also know that there were ones that needed help and weren't getting it and I can see where certain assumptions were made about different ones in the congregation and those wrong assumptions promoted and permitted needy ones to fall through the cracks in an Org that claims to take such good care of it's own. The problem is that though they SAY that they take care of their own and they TELL the R&F to do so....the reality is the atmosphere in the average KH does not promote charity and kindness as it should.

I think it boils down to spiritual maturity. Those that seek to imitate Jesus are genuienly loving and kind, those that seek to imitate a manmade organization don't mature spiritually, they don't imitate Christ, and their works are out of obligation and not out of geniune love for others.

The folks that extended help to me did so because they were loving, genious, caring people, who happened to be Witnesses. I don't think they helped me because they felt obligated to, I think it was because they genuinely cared.

An interesting point that I remember:

The sister who studied with me (pioneer, elders wife, and one of the most loving people I have ever met in my life) told me that only widows age 65 and older were eligiable for "congregation assistance." At that time, I was really struggling to survive, and she just mentioned that, though I did not ask about it. That implies that widows age sixty-five and over in good standing good collective monatary assistance from the congregation if need be. So, at least at that time (1997) there was a program in place to help some folks, though it was not available for everyone.

Truth

• caligirl
    caligirl

I remember only one time having the PO up on the stage make an announcement that there was someone in the hall who was in desperate need of assistance and if anyone was in a position to help, then to call him at home. But that is the only time that I ever heard any requests to help others. Funny thing was, this PO owned a very profitable business, a home in the US AND Scotland and could easily have given the person needing help a good amount and never had to humiliate this person by making an announcement or telling others about the dilemma. Though they did not give the name from the platform, my then husband called the PO and asked and was given the name of the person without hesitation. I don't know what happened, but I know that it was not too long after that episode that the person disappeared from the hall.

The thing that always struck me was that when someone asked why witnesses didn't do any form of community service or charity work, the excuse given in my area was that the preaching work WAS the community service and better than any temporary help that could be offered.

That said, I do also beleive that there are some genuinely christian people who are simply mislead in believing that the organization is the true religion.

• waiting
    waiting
    The folks that extended help to me did so because they were loving, genious, caring people, who happened to be Witnesses. I don't think they helped me because they felt obligated to, I think it was because they genuinely cared. - truth2me

I think that's a great point. There really are "good people in and out of the org." It depends on the goodness of people......not the WTBTS.

The sister who studied with me (pioneer, elders wife, and one of the most loving people I have ever met in my life) told me that only widows age 65 and older were eligiable for "congregation assistance." ... So, at least at that time (1997) there was a program in place to help some folks, though it was not available for everyone. - truth2me

Don't think so. It was a very loose arrangement based on the Bible about "widows" and "old" people. Don't believe the Bible mentioned "age 65."

It was up to the individual congregation to extend help to whom they personally deemed acceptable to them. If you happened to fall into the hands of a kind group - then kindness extended. Shamefully, this didn't seem to happen that often.....and was usually individual persons - not the congregation.

The thing that always struck me was that when someone asked why witnesses didn't do any form of community service or charity work, the excuse given in my area was that the preaching work WAS the community service and better than any temporary help that could be offered. -caligirl

Good Lord Yes!!!!!!!!!! I remember SAYING that to householders.....and feeling sheepish as I said it. We were giving "the chance to Eternal Life" and "a higher education" and "the tools for self-improvement". We did help some...in a way. But we certainly did more damage than help. *sigh*

Btw, nice to meet y'all! - and THANKS TO SIMON FOR FIXING MY POST! I was so frustrated, I just gave UP.

waiting

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

Before I was a Witness, I was a born-again Christian. It's a long story but at one point I was staying with the pastor's family of the church I went to. My home life was a nightmare and after years of abuse I was so depressed that I was suicidal. The pastor made a similar call for anyone who could help from the podium as Calibar mentioned above. After six weeks with no response (we were hoping someone could take me in, I was a good kid that just needed a loving home) he sent me back to live with my mom in her ghetto apartement- a living hell. No wonder I never went back to that church...a few weeks later I was introduced to JW when they showed up one Satuday morning...I accepted a Bible study right at that first meeting. I responded well to all the attention, and I finally got the love I needed.

My point is that organized religion lets lots of folks down who need help, JW not exclusively. Because of the treatment I got from that main-stream non-denominational Christian Church (and there's much more than what I just mentioned here) I thought that the love I was shown by the JWs was a sign from God that they must be the "true Christians" they claim to be.

But, in retro-spect I can see that it's individuals' love and kindness in people, whether they be professing a faith or not, that heals and cares and helps those in need. What is frustrating is when any organization claims to be the end all be all of love etc and to boot, they claim to have God's stamp of approval on their behavior.

I believe that Creator/God/source of energy, whatever you choose to call it/him/her works in everyone that seeks to show love and kindness and a self-sacrificing spirit to help others.

Truth

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

opps I meant "caligirl" not "Calibar"....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit