Where is help for old ones/Battered wives etc.

by lulu 15 Replies latest social family

• lulu
    lulu

There have been many articles from the WT regarding their position on looking after our aged ones and the abused wives and children. Where are the houses of refuge for these ones plus retirement homes? Most other religions have them.i.e. Catholics, Church of England etc. Comments anyone?

• neyank
    neyank

Hi lulu,

The WTS loves to speak the talk
    but fails to walk the walk.

Don't you love how they make it sound like they're so caring and concerned?

But as a book publishing company, their real concern is bringing in the funds and using free workers to do it.

All the talk in their magazines on how Christians should treat each other ect...
    is just bait that they use to real converts in and to keep them thinking that the WTBTS is a Christian religion when in fact their own history and the unChristian way they treat their followers shows they are nothing but a BOOK PUBLISHING COMPANY that wouldn't know TRUTH if they tripped over it.

neyank

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Lulu - and welcome to our forum....and Merry Christmas!

As to your question - very valid and very unanswered by the WTBTS. In the USA - there is no help for the older ones, abused wives, abused children.

The old & abused will be encouraged to find family members to help them (in or out of the Org) - and/or look to the USA government for help. If this fails, then it has been whispered that individual brothers have helped - but that is totally up to the individuals as the WTBTS doesn't promote this.

I know of instances where jw's help each other (even though not related), and I've read where some individuals received no help from the congregation. I believe the majority of any help comes from individuals who are moved through compassion - and are usually very quiet about it.

I've not read where the WTBTS moves through compassion - unless publicity or money is involved...but then that's not true compassion, is it?

Btw, Englishman has mentioned some type of old jw folks home over in England. JW's must be screened as to length in org., their accomplishments for the WT., etc., before they're *accepted.* Nothing like that in the USA.

waiting

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

We have people here from all over the world. Is there any one who personally knows an instance of where the WTS has given aide to those in need due toi natural disasters. I'm pretty sure I have read that they have collected goods and deivered them to disater areas. Does this really happen or it just another myth to make them look good?

• Smiles
    Smiles

The only real "houses of refuge" or "retirement homes" the Jehovah's Witnesses have, are the various worldwide Bethel Homes reserved for a small group of the most elite, long-time JWs with the most seniority in JW activities. This is where their every need is supplied by a large house staff of lesser JWs. All expenses paid. These most elite JWs will live out the rest of their life at these Bethel Homes.

The general JWs are NOT welcome to live at these Bethel Home. Neither is the general public welcome to live there.

In the JW religion if battered wives and children or old ones need a place of refuge, they must look to family and close friends for such refuge.

If they do not have family or close friends willing to give them a place to stay, they may be required to beg the church elders to open up their personal homes.

If that doesn't happen and it rarely does, the needy are on their own. Which usually is the case.

JWs MAIN purpose is not to give material help to people. Their MAIN purpose is to preach and teach the Bible.

• rebel
    rebel

Hi Lulu,

The reason the society does diddly for old ones, battered wives etc. is because they cannot waste their precious time and resources on such unimportant issues. The only way to really help people is to tell them about the kingdon and the new system when they will no longer feel abandoned, battered etc. If they are being beaten to a pulp every day, that's not too hard to bear when compared to the glorious new system. Surely a battered wife can cope with a few punches - the new system may be here in 5, 10, 15 or 20 years - maybe more. But surely, the prospect of living forever in a paradise earth is worth all the misery and pain they are suffering now. They may even enter the new system with the very partner who is using them as a punch-bag - what a blessing! As for old people - what are they complaining about? Don't they realise they will be young again VERY SOON - skipping about like mountain goats!

And to think I swallowed all of this once - yuk!

xxR

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I understand that there was an old folks home near Manchester (UK), that was staffed (mainly pioneers) and occupied by JW's.
    They charged extra, so that the residents could be taken out to on Field Service and to Meetings.

Even my dyed-in-th-wool-JW brother was offended by that.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Lee,

I was living in South Carolina when Hurricane Hugo slammed through here. We live about 1.5 hours inland - and we still got at least 90 tornados come through here. Lost at least $5 million worth of trees. Was horrible. Massive clean up as a lot of us also have some type of *place* at the beach (which meant more clean up there.)

The local KH was used as a central for 4 other KH's - and it was ours. We worked around the clock stocking in food, clothing & supplies which were contributed by brothers in other states. By 3rd day, a semi came in from Bethel (it's at least 20 hrs. from here). A refrigerated truck came in with milk,etc. The brothers helped us stock it in, etc.

Local elders in our areas made mistakes - "the love" was only extended to jw's initially. When residents began to complain about our stinginess, then the sisters were able to not turn people away. Interestingly enough, the elders never turned anyone away....they made the sisters do that. Some sisters just flat refused to partake of that crap - and thankfully, I was one of them. Therefore, we were reassigned as can stockers. Within days, worldly people were allowed to receive of our generosity. The elders made the sisters stop every person who came in, get their name, address & phone number.....so we could make Return Visits to them. They would be so appreciative, eh? The worldly people were not impressed with our spiritual effort.

Within a week, there were volunteers from different states who came in with tools to help us cut up the 5-10 trees down in almost every yard. No outsiders were helped, but honestly, they were kept busy as long as they were able just helping the hundreds of jw's in this area. And we worked right along side of them. It was exhausting.

Interestingly enough, those brothers/sisters who voluntarily came to help us thought we weren't appreciative enough. I was rather dumbfounded.....they didn't understand. When they were done doing their good deed - they got to go home to dry beds, warm baths, and a job. When they left, we got to go back to no electricity, thousands upon thousands of dollars just gone (ins. only covers so much) - and we were exhausted and still working hard. We were self-employed, which means we lost thousands too.

The WT received shocked letters from local worldly people complaining about our stinginess. The elders were shocked! The WT made them go to each letter writer and extend an apology. Several sisters smirked about that one. Served the peckers right.

waiting

Edited by - Simon on 26 December 2002 8:32:55

• Smiles
    Smiles

waiting,

Now I wonder why they did not print THAT in the JW yearbook? LOL!

What an embarrassment!

• breeze
    breeze

lulu....

This is a great point....First of ten commandments....

Love thy Neighbor ....as thyself...???

doesn't even say old or needy....just lumps everyone together....????

also doesn't say just dubs needy or old??? - or only ones with enough field service time this month....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit