What Did You Hate About The Circuit OV.'s Visit?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I always enjoyed the CO's visit as a child. I think because it just took the attention off of me. My parents acted like I'd always wanted them to act - like Christians.

• Ed
    Ed

I don't think this really counts as something I "hated", but I thought it was a bit weird... we had a CO who would choose this one particular song and ask the Brothers only to sing the first verse, then the Sisters would sing the second verse, then everyone would join in for the third verse. Something a bit different, a bit of fun. He did this twice, on two different visits.

Here's the weird bit though... the following year we got a new CO, and he did the exact same shtick. With the same song.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I hated the extra long meetings - really tough with the kids, and the fact that I had to park in the empty field next door because of all the people coming out of the woodwork for the week.

Nina

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I disliked all the extra-phony behavior of people acting like everyone got along so well. Suddenly you would see people shaking hands and speaking to people they have ignored for months. Then there were the submarine Witnesses that surfaced for the visit, and no one was allowed to say, "Where you been?" The CO would then make comments like, "your congregation seems to be doing very well, and is very loving." To which I always wanted too stand-up and say to everyone, "You should have been here last week, or last month! These people are just putting on an act for you."

Edited by - whyhideit on 23 December 2002 11:48:37

• zev
    zev

hypocrisy!!!!

anyone and everyone who you didn't see for 6 months would show up for the c.o. visit.

dressed in their best suits and dresses.

just to "look good".

• freedom96
    freedom96

The only thing I liked was the fact that the Watchtower study was shorter.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

freedom96, i loved that too!

i hated the way everyone sucked up to him like he was an apostle or a demigod....do not have class distinctions among yourselves?

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

The CO

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The extra meetings and field service, the "new suit syndrome", the way everyone turned up 30 minutes early for meetings when normally the KH was still locked 10 minutes before the start, the not-so-subtle digs at the congregation in the "local needs" section, the annoying pomposity of some COs and elders, having to behave all the time because the CO was staying in our house, the fact that I couldn't hate it, that I had to think it was great that this guy was visiting with the latest spiritual gruel, that I had to preach alongside a pompous, socially inept stranger and pretend - even to myself - to feel privileged..... I think that probably covers it.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

I hated seeing everyone put up a front, it was also the one time everybody showed up and on time. then theres the fussing over he and his wife, like it was the president coming, nothing but the best.I avoided going out in service that week, heck I avoided going out in service for the past year we were there.

Edited by - imanaliento on 23 December 2002 14:27:49

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit