Western Decline is a Reality - 2015 Memorial Attendance

by berrygerry 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

OneEyedJoe said:

I stand corrected - there was a 0.36% increase in 2014 once the merged branches are accounted for, pulling numbers from the thread below.

Yes, strictly speaking you are correct. But the increase in 2014 followed two years of far bigger drops in memorial attendance compared to 2011. That drop has now reversed but still represents much slower growth in memorial attendance numbers. As I said a few posts back, the best way to describe the US and territory patterns in recent years is "fluctuating" attendance patterns.

BTW, on what night of the week was the 2011 memorial held because that saw a huge increase in US attendance that was not surpassed until 2014.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Yes, strictly speaking you are correct. But the increase in 2014 followed two years of far bigger drops in memorial attendance compared to 2011. That drop has now reversed but still represents much slower growth in memorial attendance numbers. As I said a few posts back, the best way to describe the US and territory patterns in recent years is "fluctuating" attendance patterns.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was just striving to trace all things with accuracy and admit when my recollection had been wrong :)

I believe 2011's memorial was on Sunday April 17. A sunday memorial would have definitely explained the uptick in attendance.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Think of it - how many hundreds of millions of pieces of paper thrust into the hands of "householders", year after year, and attendance is still stagnant.
    What an utter waste of time

They should put up ads online saying that they will pay people $100. to attend. Probably more cost-effective.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    A few years back......went to memorial.....family talked to me the whole night afterward....... Next morning??? Back to shunned.😢
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    I didn't attend the memorial this year & I have to admit I was afraid. I curled up in bed & read the gospel account & prayed to thank Jehovah for Jesus. But I was still worried that something bad was going to happen & it would be all my fault. Of cause I realize that was not rational thinking, & why would God punish me, but that is how I felt.
  • rege  brazzy
    rege brazzy
    another countries ?
  • pepperheart
    pepperheart
    If you go on the jw own website they will tel you that they have closed 20 branch offices around the world
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2
    All I know, is that there were 4 less this year than usual. (my family)
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Sabin...

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine
    I've always wondered why there is so much emphasis put on the #'s for the Memorial. Many attend the Memorial but don't attend any other meetings for the rest of the year. Same thing happens in churches for Easter and Christmas. The parking lots are packed, but only twice a year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit