They know something’s up.

by John Aquila 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Londo111
    Londo111

Saturday morning someone rang the doorbell. Normally, I don’t answer, but I was expecting someone at 10:30 to pick me up and go somewhere. And lo and behold, two older JW women. Unfortunately, I was pressed for time and am still trying to maintain my fade locally. I wanted to talk about the Royal Commission and so forth, but I didn’t.

Basically the conversation went like this:

She said, “We are here to talk about some good news…” Then the light of recognition came to her eyes. She said, “I remember you’ve been to the Kingdom Hall.”

I told her, “I am…” It took me a second to cycle through a word that was truthful and yet would not set off an aposta-alarm. “…inactive.”

She said, “Well, if you’d like to come back and talk to the brothers…”

I said, “I have talked to the brothers there and it was very traumatic for me.”

Of course, they didn’t know what to say to that, so she settled at, “Well, you know where we are. We meet at 10 o’clock. What’s your name?”

I didn’t want to give them my name but I didn’t want to be rude. So I just gave her my first name. Obviously I know that she is going to write that down on her slip or hand that to one of the elders. I didn’t name any names or say anything to specific or incriminating. Hopefully what I said conveyed I don’t want ‘the brothers’ to visit.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit
    "But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions
    i have a new hero and his name is
    John Aquila. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priceless.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Londo111
    Saturday morning someone rang the doorbell. Normally, I don’t answer, but I was expecting someone at 10:30 to pick me up and go somewhere. And lo and behold, two older JW women.

Image result for caught you pic

You need a door peep hole londo!

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Yes, I need to get one installed! I've been meaning to for 10 years and haven't yet.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

JohnAquila:

"I'm not familiar with this, what WT publications is this information found in?"

John, it's in Charles Russell's Studies In The Scriptures. The Time Is At Hand has most of the info. Sorry I'm a little rushed so I can't give any details yet.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Good job
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Excellently done.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Re: 1914 (bzw. 1915) as the End and 1799 as the beginning of ‘the time of the end”:

In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the Gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that that date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men. And be it observed, that if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the Scriptures, it will prove:

Firstly, That at that date the Kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, "Thy Kingdom come," will obtain full universal control, and that it will then shortly be"set up," or firmly established, in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions.

Secondly, It will prove that he whose right it is thus to take the dominion will then be present as earth's new

Ruler; and not only so, but it will also prove that he will be present for a considerable period before that date; because the overthrow of these Gentile governments is directly caused by his dashing them to pieces as a potter's vessel (Psa. 2:9; Rev. 2:27), and establishing in their stead his own righteous government.

Thirdly, It will prove that some time before the end of A.D. 1914 the last member of the divinely recognized Church of Christ, the "royal priesthood," "the body of Christ," will be glorified with the Head; because every member is to reign with Christ, being a joint-heir with him of the Kingdom, and it cannot be fully "set up" without every member.

Fourthly, It will prove that from that time forward Jerusalem shall no longer be trodden down of the Gentiles, but shall arise from the dust of divine disfavor, to honor; because the "Times of the Gentiles" will be fulfilled or completed.

Fifthly, It will prove that by that date, or sooner, Israel's blindness will begin to be turned away; because their "blindness in part" was to continue only "until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in" (Rom. 11:25), or, in other words, until the full number from among the Gentiles, who are to be members of the body or bride of Christ, would be fully selected.

Sixthly, It will prove that the great "time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation," will reach its culmination in a world-wide reign of anarchy; and then men will learn to be still, and to know that Jehovah is God and that he will be exalted in the earth. (Psa. 46:10) The condition of things spoken of in symbolic language as raging waves of the sea, melting earth, falling mountains and burning heavens will then pass away, and the "new heavens and new earth" with their peaceful blessings will begin to be recognized by trouble-tossed humanity. But the Lord's Anointed and his rightful and righteous authority will first be recognized by a company of God's children while passing through the great tribulation--the class represented by m and t on the Chart of the Ages (see also pages 235 to 239, Vol. I); afterward, just at its close, by fleshly Israel; and ultimately by mankind in general.

Seventhly, It will prove that before that date God's Kingdom, organized in power, will be in the earth and then smite and crush the Gentile image (Dan. 2:34)--and fully consume the power of these kings. Its own power and dominion will be established as fast as by its varied influences and agencies it crushes and scatters the "powers that be"--civil and ecclesiastical--iron and clay.

--The Time is at Hand (1889), pp. 76-78.

Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1878, and that the "battle of the great day of God Almighty" (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced.

-- The Time is at Hand (1889), p. 101 § 1 (1912 edition)

The campaign is briefly, yet graphically, described in the prophecy, verses 40 to 44; and being completed in 1799, marks, according to the Prophet’s own words, the beginning of the “time of the end”. ( The Harp of God, p.229)

Twelve-hundred sixty years from A. D. 539 brings us to 1799-another proof that 1799 definitely marks the beginning of “the time of the end”. (The Harp of God, p. 230)

There are two important dates here that we must not confuse, but clearly differentiate, namely, the beginning of “the time of the end” and of “the presence of the Lord”. “The time of the end” embraces a period from A. D. 1799, as above indicated, to the time of the complete overthrow of Satan’s empire and the establishment of the kingdom of the Messiah. The time of the Lord’s second presence dates from 1874, as above stated. The latter period is within the first named, of course, and at the latter part of the period known as “the time of the end”. (The Harp of God, p. 231)

From and shortly after 1799, the date of the beginning of “‘the time of the end”, we should expect to find an

increase of knowledge, particularly with reference to the Bible. (The Harp of God, p.232)

This great increase of knowledge and the tremendous running to and fro of the people in various parts of the earth without question is a fulfillment of the prophecy testifying as to “the time of the end”. These physical facts cannot be disputed and are sufficient to convince any reasonable mind that we have been in “the time of the end” since 1799. (The Harp of God, p.234)

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks bennyk - you've kindly supplied the necessary references to back up what I put in my earlier post. To think that over 120 years ago, the organization - not yet to wear its new moniker, Jehovah's Witnesses, until over 50 years into the future in 1931 - was preaching an entirely different story about 1914. But more relevantly, the story it currently preaches about 1914 is entirely different from the story it was telling about 1914 up until the new "over-lapping" generations of the 2,000s.

How could any logical thinking person ever construe this re-invention of the story of 1914 as new light or the light becoming brighter?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit