Would some of us be better off as Witnesses?

by Jerry Bergman 118 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• JT
    JT

Our last pastor (a great guy, a Harvard grad and a Ph.D.)

I have for years done this through personal study and college coursework,

I arrived at after decades of study and study of the scientific literature

Also as a result of my study at a medical college (10 years and three degrees so far beyond my second doctors and masters degrees)

I am unaware of a single study (and I have looked in the scientific medical literature for one).

Jerry

I don't like to dog folks - in fact i try very hard to stay away from the personal attacks and i hope that this post doesn't come over as such ,but-- if some view it that way i guess that is life-

All I have is a little High School pc of paper, I'm back in college and got a few credits under my belt heading to hopefully a degree.

I have read your book and many of your post, you do great work, and i have often referred to it many times in talking to jw-

I thought about this long and hard and since i can't read your heart-- i don't know what the movitvation is,

I figured that since as jw we were forbidden to get any type of real education you are merely proud of what you have been able to do since leaving wt in terms of getting your degrees and for that I'm glad and proud for you, i hope that i too oneday can have alphabet soup after my name as well -

but sometimes and it just could be me- it appears as though you flaunt your degrees as if it is suppose to give you extra points of credit here,

I spoke to Lady "C" and she dogged me for often times referencing being at Bethel and an Elder in many of my post , instead of just stating so and so and letting it stand on it's own .

She told me it can give the impression that i am saying: "I used to be an Elder so I know more than you" as it were and i thought about it seriously in terms of myself-

and that is the impression i get sometime when i read your post, "I'm a PHD, I'm published, etc so i know more than you do"

now i could be wrong, but that is just the impression i get when reading your post often times

as jw we always flaunted titles AKA DEGREES

PIO, ELDER, BETHELITE, CO, etc-

perhaps we all need to make sure we now just don't do the same thing all over again- this time only with new titles

just my 2

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

JT----you are sooooo smart. I am always glad when you post.

I must reiterate: Being a JW SUCKED.

As a woman I had no rights or credibility. That alone should be reason enough for women to wake up and realize that the WTBTS is no different than the numerous repressive societies we read about in the newspaper (read Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan, China...the list goes on).

This idea, that one group (read MEN) is more important/better/smarter/more worthy, is typical of societies that have something to fear. As women gain education we gain strength. Strong women frighten men. (I mean mentally, not physically---though Sydney Bristow (ALIAS, Sunday nights on ABC) can kick any man's ass and she's smart!)

Having to put a napkin on my head to pray, being told I should be in subjection to a penis (that is key to JWs, no matter the age, wear your head covering when a penis is in the room) puts me in a position that is powerless. I am not powerless.

The morals of people, whether they be JWs or Catholic, seem to be the same. Some will cheat on their spouse, lie, cheat and steal. Being that perhaps the JWs have better morals is laughable. Being told that perhaps being a dub was not that bad makes me mad.

The day I walked away I gained strength and power.

• Farkel
    Farkel

144K + 1,

: Christians in particular, tend to attack the messenger instead of the message. - - Farkel

: I guess that means Farkel is probably a christian.

I challenge you to provide evidence where I attacked someone personally and at the same time, totally ignored their argument.

I won't be holding my breath waiting for your response.

Farkel

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

144K,

You don't know shit about shit. Your ramblings don't mean nothin'.

Furthermore, you havent read "Outrage" as I suggested. Until you do, you are just making it up.

(Get back to me when you quit talking out of your ass and actually READ something, ie. "Outrage" as I suggested.)

Farkel

Any more challenges, Farkel? For those who are interested, you can read the subject thread at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=42642&site=3

Edited by - 144thousand_and_one on 19 December 2002 13:43:7

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

In answer to the topic:

NO

Secondly: JW's do not make morals parents instill them

My kids are very GOOD kids in fact they make me sick (LOL just kidding) but it wouldn't have been that way if we had stayed in the Dub's they hated it, the freedoms to do well in sports etc. and our love made them moral. I know plenty of witnesses that just hide their moral depravitites YUCK

• Ray Skyhorse
    Ray Skyhorse

Jerry,

What is your interpretation of this recent news article in from the BBC? Would you say that this "mutation" is a new species? This article and a followup article can be found at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2290491.stm

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2290491.stm

I interpret this as support of Darwin's theory on the origin of species.

Regards,

Ray Skyhorse

• mouthy
    mouthy

Jerry would you be kind enough to tell me how the case with James Aldridge is going or at least how he is.You have not answered my link about it..... I know this is a differant topic but I cant reach you any other [email protected]

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Would some of us be better off as Witnesses?

NO, NO, NO

A thousand times......NO!

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

What a fascinating thread! I'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere, I'm just not sure what it is.

Dr.Bergman, I'm with you on this one. Words I never thought I'd write!

• gumby
    gumby

"Im with you on this one"....porkchop?

many others I know who have left are now bitter atheists or have become pagans and worship stones or new ageers playing with crystals.

Hey Jerry....have you ever REALLY wondered why?

Many who were JW's and got out also re-searched things other than Bible writer "things"

We looked into how the bible was cononized, Ancient myth's older than the Bible that the Hebrews copied, and Christians who copied the Pagan beliefs before them. When you do this .....you may have the tendancy to become an atheist, pagan (one who isn't a christian I suppose) or any OTHER belief system. They feel if the bible was a lie too, as were the Witnesses, ........anything could be correct. Thats why many go different ways.

Have you re-searched the "other side of the coin" yet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit