Would some of us be better off as Witnesses?

by Jerry Bergman 118 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

I have often wondered if many people would be better off if they stayed Witnesses. Some people I have known have really gone off the deep end after they left the Watchtower. Most all of my family have left now (not due to me as I was cut off from them for years) and many others I know who have left are now bitter atheists or have become pagans and worship stones or new ageers playing with crystals. Also, as time goes by, I am finding some of the WT ideas have some truth in them. I have been a lay speaker and Sunday school teacher in the Methodist Church for many years (And have been a member for 17 years now, almost as long as I was a Witness) and I find many in the church don't have a clue as to basic Christian morality. Many young people are or were fornicators and adulterers and this should not surprise one. I have, in 17 years, never heard even one sermon in this church condemning adultery (although I have given one). We had a controversy recently related to this. Our last pastor (a great guy, a Harvard grad and a Ph.D.) said he would not marry persons with one address (they could live together and fornicate all they wished, they just could not flaunt it) and some condemned him for intolerance! In my college teaching we cover the health problems of promiscuous sexual behavior ( it's a major killer) and the problem is as bad in churched as unchurched people. Morals just are not taught in many churches, thus members end up with a large number of broken marriages and all kind of health problems.

Edited by - Jerry Bergman on 16 December 2002 9:6:39

Edited by - Jerry Bergman on 16 December 2002 9:8:0

Edited by - Jerry Bergman on 16 December 2002 9:11:21

• Sirona
    Sirona
    or have become pagans and worship stones or new ageers playing with crystals.

I presume you are saying that being a pagan is wrong? What, for that matter, is wrong with choosing to be atheist?

I'm sick of fundamentalists condemning something they know very little about. By the way, lumping pagans with people who "worship stones" or "new agers" betrays your complete ignorance of the whole group of religions that are non-christian.

Also, please realise that non-christians are not all immoral. You paint the picture that those who don't fall into your imaginary acceptable category are debased. Despite the hypocrisy of individuals, despite the immorality that is visible today, you might want to consider that sweeping generalisations are of no use (and certainly do not give an accurate picture of those outside of christianity).

I'm sure someone else will answer your original question. I'm too annoyed with your narrowmindedness to bother right now.

Sirona

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Morals just are not taught in many churches

The witnesses do teach morality, but how many actually live it? It's been my experience, that at the first opportunity, they will "go for it". The thing lacking for most who don't commit immorality, is opportunity.

I also think many witnesses are immoral and never confess.

I know who have left are now .......................... pagans and worship stones or new ageers playing with crystals.
    So what? The ones I know, that are doing that, are learning new things. I for one, am not closed minded to any of those things. I'm not investigating them, because I am involved reading many other things, but I might one day.
  • link
    link

JB,

I rather suspect that you will get rather a lot of flak over this post so I would like to come out as a supporter of some of what you say.

I have never been baptised as a JW but I come from a background where all my closest relative are "in" and I have to attend most of the meetings in order to maintain the level of relationship that I need with my family.

Only as an outsider therefore, can I comment on this matter. Yes, I do personally believe that the JWs have much in their teachings which accurately reflects what the Bible says and what Christianity is all about. However they have taken on board so much rubbish during their history that the good stuff is almost submerged in it.

In my opinion anyone wanting to live a Christian life cannot totally ignore everything that the WBTS says just because they say it, even if some of it cannot be found in mainstream religion.

link

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

I knew you would get burnt for that crystal comment I know a few people who "play with crystals" and while I don't share their faith in these things, they are very nice, moral individuals and have a good knowledge of the earth ...so respect where it is due.

I do agree with you though. It is unavoidable if you are a true Christian, to ignore many of the WTBS teachings. Afterall, the moral teachings are pretty sound in most instances if you follow the Christian way. I think many when leaving go anti-everything for a while and really lay in to former beliefs in a way to justify moving away from them. After a while most settle down and form healthier patterns again. Like me for instance.

... and yes, for some, it is better that they stay a Witness, because they have no alternative aside from self-destruction. This I know to be true in one brother's case. If he doesn't tow the WTBS party line, he turns to drugs and self abuse and will not listen to reason. He was bought up in "the truth" - its all he knows - he can't move away from it mentally. So for him, I'd rather see him carrying his ministry bag, than snorting a line of Coke.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think for some it is better to stay a witness. I don't think that once you acknowledge the real truth to yourself that it is possible to go back and be happy but for many people who need structure it could be a good thing. There are many people who for a variety of reasons cannot think for themsleves. In many ways they are emotional children with no wish to mature. The strict rules in a high control group suit their need for external control because they have developed so little internal control

I don't think this is a healthy thing. People who stay in are still victims of a high control group. But if one doesn't know how to function in the real world and through age or resiliency or poor decision-making abilities oe poor self control then the safety of this kind of group can be a benefit

• wednesday
    wednesday

While it is true the jw teach the high moral standards of the bible, they break them with a lot. they are some of the the biggest hypocrites i have ever known. the farse about repentence and helping someone back to the org. after they have sinned-well it is a joke. they shun u , plain and simple. So unless u make no mistakes, never have an opinion, i'd leave jw alone. BTW, a number of other religions teach morality.. i live here in texas, and the baptist church and church of christ are very strict religions.Many of the younger generations just regect the morality of the bible . some were never taught this at home. however, My dgt in law comes from a close knit family that does not go to church. but they have good morals. Perhaps churches today are a little like our educational system, not really teaching..Also, as several have noted here, we are only talking about fundalmentalist religions. Others have found different paths.

Btw, i listened to your tape about jw and mental illness. I thought some of your examples were of the extreme nature. Not all jw who have mental illness end up murders. What jw do have now is a real problems with sexual abuse and the aftermath of it and they don't want to deal with it.the very nature of forcing people to worry about every little thing they may do or say, and shunnint\g caues most the depression, anxiety u see. u are just never going to be good enough. yes there still is a lot of mental illness in jws and so u will find that when the org eventually drives these poor people away, as they do, one way or the other, then u have xjw with mental ilness.

ar u thinking of going back to jws?

Edited by - wednesday on 16 December 2002 11:25:22

• acsot
    acsot

I was brought up as a JW, am now in my mid-forties. I cannot really say that we were taught morality - rather we were made to fear immorality, or the WT perception of morality. Don't forget, the WT also imposes its moralistic views on married couples and what they do in private. So, if they don't toe the line, does that make married JW couples immoral?

There's a huge difference between doing something you've decided on yourself as being the right, loving way to act towards another human being and being dictated to by a huge organization without the benefit of deciding the pros and cons for yourself.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Morals just are not taught in many churches, thus members end up with a large number of broken marriages and all kind of health problems

Do you mean morals like "wear a condom" or "don't get caught", or are you saying that sex between informed consenting adults is immoral unless they sign a lifetime contract first?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

This would be my Mom. She is a very moral, upstanding person that has been a Witness for 40 years. The time she did leave for awhile, she went crazy. I believe this is due to her inability to face the harsh world realities that she had been sheltered from most of her growing up life. She was a farm girl, shy, sensitive and very intelligent. When she got out on her own, she was very unhappy. She was not raised in the real world and was very sheltered from it for most of her growing up life. She immediately married my Father (an unbeliever) and became a Witness shortly after she was married. If it were not for the "hope" she would be a mess.. and it's just better that she stays in, believing the lies. It really bothers me, but I'd rather her be happy "in" than unhappy "out." She couldn't handle the ugliness of real life because it would kill her. She's too sensitive. I know if she got out she would be so untrustful that she could not establish a firm base of trust in another religion, or even in herself. So it's probably better for her mental health that she just stays in. The Witnesses have damaged her so much that she doesn't trust anything outside of their realm. When I showed her the scanned in confirmation on UN stationary about their belonging to "the beast" for so long, she said that it was all a lie from persecutors. So ... yes, she's one of those.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit