Would some of us be better off as Witnesses?

by Jerry Bergman 118 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I learned the hard way. I was raised with a strong moral conviction from the Witnesses. I was never baptized because my Mom wanted me to be "firmly rooted in the faith" and judged by my progress that I was not ready for baptism. Thanks Mom! I just could never quite fit in. I loved the Truth (pfft), but never really reached that plateau of spirituality that was required, as interpreted by my Mother, for baptism. I was spared in a way that I never knew at the time, from the shunning. I was, and am, a very happy go lucky person, just kind of interested in everything, but focused on nothing.

She used to tell me "Boys at young ages only want one thing. They are looking to satisfy their base desires, but are not ready for the emotional and financial responsibilities of taking a wife." She also told me "When a man loves you, he can wait." That always stuck in my mind and guided me. When I became 20 years old, unbaptized, I got out. My parents were quite strict, even though he wasn't even a Witness, he was an old school Dad. I became totally wild, and began to do things that I have regretted to this day because I didn't heed the advice I had been given earlier. However, I think persons raised in the environments of a religion would probably have the same kind of advice, even if not Witnesses. I do thank my upbringing for at least imparting to me a knowledge of morals... For, after awhile, I noticed that what my Mother said was basically true. Not the doctrine, per se, just the right and wrong part of it: Don't steal, don't commit fornication, don't commit adultery, etc. I think teens these days just aren't raised in the same environment, they don't understnd morals or what they are.. just MY OPINION. I do think they were *too* strict, but not necessarily wrong. It served me well later in my life.

I *am* happy to say that I am NOT a Witness, and thanks to my Mom, I never became one. So I can still talk to my family. They don't talk to me *much* but at least there is some contact there.

CG

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

I read 100 pages of Mein Kampf by Hitler and some of what he said was true, also. I read the entire Unabomber's Manifesto and much of what he said was true. Following those people would have obviously been immoral, though. Of course, if everyone followed me they would be much better off.

Regardless of where a person goes afterwards, belonging to a mind-controlling cult is a terrible waste of a life, IMHO. At least by making my own mistakes from my own decisions, I will hopefully learn. I never learned anything by following men, especially ones that were less than my equal intellectually. I take that back..........what I learned was not to follow men.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Jerry, you seem to equate trying to use the bible as a guide for life with "morality".

I submit that it is immoral for you to do that. Now you and I likely won't ever agree on that, but at least my argumentation will deal only with reality as opposed to mythology.

Finding your morals in a book written by who-knows-who?, does not a moral person make.

• seven006
    seven006

Better off? Christian morality? Iv read the bible and it is full of more so called immorality than any trashy dime store novel. I guess King David's nine hundred or so concubines were just his up stairs maid staff. Lot getting drunk and having sex with his two daughters is also glassed over because he of course, was a man of god. The JW's teach the same crap any fundamentalist or main stream Christian religion teaches. Just as in any countries or language's mathematical principal 2+2 always equals 4 no matter which language you speak. No one country or language owns that mathematical equation but they all teach it. That does not mean one country or one language is the only one who can add it up right.

Most religions preach some kind of moral code but very few practice it. The bible speaks of love for fellow man and then teaches how god will kill them all. It is one of the most hypocritical bunch of back and forth mumbo jumbo on the planet. Just as the JW's do, so does other Christian religions. Picking out a few numbered sentences to manipulate a point for their own benefit and need to control their spiritually inept customers. Anyone who loves their spouse and wants to make their marriage work will not sleep with another partner. We do not need a book of myth to tell us it is wrong or give it a nice little biblical name. If you need your religion to tell you that you should keep your dick in your pants then people like you shouldn't go out in public without a leash.

I get so tied of you fundie religious wimps popping in here to wave your moral flags. We all see you, we know you are a god person, now go preach to your church and keep your bible morals zipped up in your pants. I had 25 years of that kind of hypocrisy and it still stinks no matter what size cross you have on your church's door. High moral flag wavers like you make my gut turn. The only one you are kidding is yourself. As I have said before, religion is good for one thing, and one thing only. It keeps stupid people from fucking on park benches.

If you need a religion to tell you that you shouldn't kill, steal, rape, lie, do drugs, or get drunk and sleep with your sister in law and her stuffed animal collection, then "just possibly" you have no control over your own thinking because you are too use to having someone else do it for you. Most fundamentalist type people don't because they do not have the intelligence to figure out those things are wrong on their own. They need some group of people pointing to a sentence in a book to figure out what is right or wrong because of their own inability to use their own brain. These things are not Christian morally wrong, they are basic intelligent human being wrong. If you can't figure that out yourself without the aid of some religion than you and people like you DO need your hand held and your zipper zipped by some church. You all need to stand around and pat each other on your heads telling each other what a good little boys you all are. Those with weak mental fortitude and absolutely no ability to make decisions on their own, using their own intelligence, need religion to do it for them. So yes, people like you might be better off being a JW.

If you want to join a church to make friends or have a feeling of companionship then that's another thing. If you join it so it can think for you, then you possibly need more help than a church can give you.

You want flack, you got it. Go wave your transparent moral flag somewhere else, we have already fought that war and won on our own.

Dave

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance
    left are now bitter atheists or have become pagans and worship stones or new ageers playing with crystals

If you think your way is the only way, you've lost your way.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

are now bitter atheists

I'm more of the sour variety, myself.

Expatbrit (no morals never-burnt-anyone-at-the-stake atheist class)

• shera
    shera

Not MOI !

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Hey Yeah!

What Dave said!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Amen

• Xander
    Xander

Hmm...quite so.

Mankind is immoral?

Really?

Morality as defined by WHO?

Your invisible friend?

Cause, MY invisible friend is perfectly fine w/ my lifestyle, and that of everyone I know, really!

• Bod
    Bod

I'd rather worship a rock than be dumb as a rock.

Stupid people can stay dubs if they want to. I just feel sorry for the intelligent people trapped into the dub way of thinking.

Sex is good, married or not. When I realised that I realised there was no God. Just don't do it when you're truly drunk, because you might regret it.

Finally, bitter atheists are better than lager atheists. CAMRA rules!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit