Purgatory, Limbo or the Twilight Comfort Zone

by SolidSender 67 Replies latest jw friends

• SolidSender
    SolidSender
    To answer your question more directly, the spiritual teaching of the Bible and the Koran are more than adequate, the social teachings are insufficient.

Carmel, so what is the alternative then if this IS the case?-SolidSender
    PS: would you care to elaborate on the ways in which the social teachings of the Bible are inadequate?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Glad to elaborate. First, I think it is fair to say that the gospel of Jesus was primarily focused on personal salvation. Although Jesus spoke about His followers gathering together, He provided no foundation for societal structure or guidance for the body politic. No wonder then that the discussion here often ends in people declaring that all organized religion is evil..

The Koran provides for many more responses to collective situations. Gives explicit directions as to how inheritance is to be handled, the administration of the affairs of state. No wonder that Islam was able to bring together for several centuries very divergent cultures and administer them more equitably than any Christian community had seen.

There are two extremes in the theories of social change and organization. One that springs from the foundation of individualism (underpinned by christian theology) is based on the assumption that all you need for a perfect society is to have individuals that lead lives of piety and saintliness. Ultimately this idea breaks down as individuals who are not ulterior and kind "get ahead" and the utopia fails.

At the other extreme is the collectivist model that says if you have the correct political system whatever that may be, and the correct ecnomic model, then it doesn't matter about the individuals within it, the system is self correcting. Unfortunately, this too, ignores the reality of the spiritual nature of humans and that if that nature is not nurtured, it withers and the system becomes less and less functional.

What seems to be wanting is a mutually reinforcing system where the collective encourages the individual and the individual supports the system. The over-emphasis on the individual on one hand and the failure to acknowledge it on the other calls for a new paradigm.

I find the bible is wonderful in providing a guide for the individual but inadequate for meeting the needs of modern collective society. Where is the specific guidance on international affairs?

More later, being beckoned!

BTW, I'm not a Muslim...

carmel

carmel

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

OK Carmel, you want something that difficult you're welcome to it, me, being the anarchist that i am, i'll stick to something far more simple, like plan B-SolidSender

• Carmel
    Carmel

Well the necessity of civilization to have adequate laws and organizations seems to demand that we have more than individual salvation. Would you disagree?

carmel

• Carmel
    Carmel

SS,

When joining this forum, I said I was not here to promote my own "religion" but it seems I cannot help myself. The ideas and principals I expouse touch on every facet of life and enter into all my discussions. You have brought be face to face with that reality by your question. I should have kept my mouth shut in the first place.

I admire you and others here for your quest for truth and answers. All I can say is that there are very satisfying alternatives but I don't beleive this is the place for me to promote same.

carmel

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

Carmel - once I get a handle on individual salvation i'll let you know - don't hold your breath though. SolidSender

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

Carmel, if i may be so bold as to say, when you say:

When joining this forum, I said I was not here to promote my [b]own[b] "religion" but it seems I cannot help myself

As a subjective observation neither this "religion" you speak of nor many of the ideas you put forward seem to be either your "own" nor original. Happy to hear your response.-SolidSender

• Carmel
    Carmel

I'm glad I didn't cross the line then. Any direct answer to your question would have had to be in terms of the religion I expouse, therefore I was rather circuitous in giving a pluralist response.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit