CARDINAL LAW OUT

by Yerusalyim 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Fox News is reporting that Bernard Cardinal Law has offered his resignation to the Pope today. I'll try to find the link and then post it.

Here it is:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,72843,00.html

Edited by - Yerusalyim on 12 December 2002 18:3:54

VATICAN CITY Cardinal Bernard Law has offered to resign, Fox News has learned.

The Boston archbishop has been meeting with church officials in the Vatican since Sunday and will formally submit his resignation to Pope John Paul II tomorrow. The pope must accept his resignation in order for it to take effect.

Law has been widely criticized for several months for his role in the sexual abuse scandal plaguing the Roman Catholic Church in the U.S.

On Sunday, 58 Boston priests called for Law's resignation, and on Wednesday the influential reform group Voice of the Faithful demanded that he step down, citing a "spiritual and moral crisis" in the Boston Archdiocese.

Law could also be facing questions from a grand jury about his supervision of priests accused of sexually abusing children.

He and seven bishops who worked for him were subpoenaed last week to appear before a grand jury looking into possible criminal violations by church officials in their supervision of accused priests, a source familiar with the subpoenas confirmed Thursday.

State police from the office of Attorney General Thomas Reilly delivered Law's subpoena to his Boston residence Friday, the Boston Globe first reported.

The following day, Law flew to Rome, where he was still meeting with church leaders Thursday.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said Law was expected to meet with the pope on Friday, at which time Fox News has learned he will submit his resignation.

Reilly refused to comment when asked whether he had subpoenaed Law to appear before a grand jury. Law's attorney, J. Owen Todd, did not return telephone calls.

A state grand jury has been investigating for months accusations that archdiocese officials mishandled alleged molestation cases involving clergy, but so far has only demanded church records. Reilly and other prosecutors have acknowledged that they have yet to find grounds to bring criminal charges against Law or anyone else for the scandal that erupted a year ago.

Dozens of priests endorsed a letter this week calling for Law's resignation, and separately, the 300-member Boston Priests Forum may issue its own resolution urging Law's resignation at a meeting Friday.

The latest call for Law to step down came Wednesday from the influential Roman Catholic lay reform group Voice of the Faithful.

"There is a state of spiritual and moral crisis in the Archdiocese of Boston," said Jim Post, president of Voice of the Faithful, which claims a national membership of 25,000. "In my judgment, the Archdiocese of Boston has effectively been without a bishop."

Seventy-one Voice of the Faithful members representing parishes in the Boston Archdiocese voted Wednesday for the motion calling on Law to step down. Two were opposed, and two abstained.

This action by Voice of the Faithful, a group formed soon after scandal erupted in January, is significant because for months its leaders have resisted pressure from members to demand Law's resignation. Voice of the Faithful said it had hoped to work with Catholic officials for reform within the church. But members said they could not avoid a confrontation with the Boston hierarchy.

While Law was at the Vatican on Monday, a letter from 58 priests asking the cardinal to resign was delivered to his residence, and more priests have since endorsed the document.

There are 912 priests in the archdiocesan ranks, a third of them retired, plus 732 clergymen in the region belonging to religious orders.

If pastors who lead a significant number of Boston parishes join the revolt, it could be difficult for Law to govern the archdiocese effectively.

The scandal has engulfed Boston for almost a year and pressure on Law has only increased since the archdiocese was forced to release 11,000 church personnel documents to attorneys representing hundreds of alleged victims.

On Wednesday, lawyers released more files highlighting accusations of abuse in the archdiocese. In one case detailed in the files, a priest allegedly molested a boy on 21 consecutive nights during a cross-country trip in a Winnebago.

So far lawyers have released about 5,400 of the documents in piecemeal fashion. They contain allegations of misconduct against 65 priests and suggest that, in addition to molesting young boys, rogue clergy used drugs, abused young people -- boys and girls -- and, in one case, assaulted a housekeeper.

A 1999 Vatican document from the files shows that the pope decreed that one defrocked Catholic priest should not remain in the area where his actions were known, unless his bishop decided that his presence would not cause a scandal. The priest had a history of sexual abuse and concluded a year of treatment for child molestation when he came to Boston in 1982 from the diocese of Youngstown, Ohio, according to his personnel file.

The files released Wednesday also included a letter written by Law to the Washington, D.C.-based Military Diocese in 1996 saying a priest who had been accused of molesting a boy had nothing in his past to prevent him from working with children as an Air Force chaplain.

The archdiocese issued a statement Wednesday saying it had notified the diocese for military service about the unsubstantiated allegation against the priest. A call to the archdiocese seeking further details was not returned.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Edited by - Yerusalyim on 12 December 2002 18:6:9

Edited by - Yerusalyim on 12 December 2002 18:7:45

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

It's past due!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ok, I agree 100% but can someone tell me why the heck I can't make this a clickable link?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I honestly thought people would be a little more excited about this. Oh well. I guess it's only news when they aren't doing what they should. Hopefully this fruit cake will go to jail for a while too.

• flower
    flower

Yerusalyim,

Actually here in Boston where these worthless humans are from (Law and the other pervert who they released from prison yesterday) this is a major big deal. There have been major protests and rallys here since last week calling for this guys head. He had no choice but to resign or he would have been drug out by his hair and beat like he deserves to be.

I dont understand religion. Its disgusting and filthy and sickening. Its all the same. UGH! How people can be involved in it is beyond my comprehension.

flower

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Yerusalyim,

I thought Cardinal Law was the one who came forward with the grim reality, and willingness to turn the facts over to authorities. Was he forced into this or did he bring to light what had been hidden everywhere? If he is forced to resign he is either the worst Archbishop in Catholicism or he is the leading scapegoat. Can you shed light on this for me Jerusalem?

Jst2laws

• flower
    flower

Jst2, no according to the folks around here in boston, where this happened, Cardinal Law was the one who got that priest and others who he knew where molesters reassigned to different churches. moving them around to different churches that had more innocent victims to be violated.

he is scum and needs to be in jail

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

At least Law (ironic name) has finally done the right thing. No doubt he and a number of his so-called friends will face criminal charges - may it be aiding and abetting or something similar (the DA is investigating - finally).

It has taken about 10-20 years to bring this case to the forefront. The press and the lawsuits played a huge role in this.

The only difference is that the majority of Catholics are outraged over what has happened compared to the Rank and File JWs who think the devil's tools are out to get their Borg (Sept 15, 2002 WT Rag pages 15-20).

Now - do you people see what you can do to the JW leadership and how one gets major policy changes if the will is there?

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 13 December 2002 8:3:27

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

WoooooHoooooo!!!!!! It has been a long time in coming, but finally that scum is outta there!!!! My husband and I were very exited to hear yesterday about the possible resignation, and to hear the final results early this a.m. on my car radio made me want to, "Shout ....!!!" We are both non-practicing Catholics and live in the Boston area.

Yerusalyim, yes both my husband and I were excommunicated. We dd not receive a writ; however one time prior to our marriage we thought about getting married in the Catholic Church we went to the parish in my husband's town. The priest had told us we were, and that we would both need to have an annulment in order to "wipe the slate clean". This was in the early 70's, and we would have to each paid $200.00. What a joke, he wanted me to pay for an annulment to "clear out" a previous marriage that was unrecognized in the Catholic Church. Needless to say, we told the priest to stick it ...... Both of our families are Catholic, at least we were not shunned as in the case would be if we had been JW.

Even a few of my husband's brothers who still are active in the church wanted Law to resign. The huge majority of Catholic's wanted Law out.

jst2laws, the only reason why it appeared Cardinal Law came forward was because the court system demanded him to. He was covering up this dirtly, scuzzy secret for years. If the victims had not come forward in multiples, that sorry swine and his generals would have continued to keep their secret.

I hope Tom Reilly (very tenacious DA for Middlesex county) nails Law and the others who were involved in the cover-up. Reilly is seeking criminal prosecution and I hope it happens. I hope Law does not try to hide out in Rome.

• YERU2
    YERU2

JST2,

Nope, Law was forced to make the revelations he did. He's not the scapegoat but the perpetrator of a horrible crime. While no evidence exists that would indicate that Law himself is a pedophile, he protected pedophile priests. I'm overjoyed by his resignation and hope that the DA slams him with RICO predicates.

DarkHorse,

I've spent all morning going over Canon Law and can find no validation of the priest's ascertation that by attempting marriage outside the faith you would have been imposed with Excommunication. In other words, the priest was making this sh*t up.

By attempting a civil marriage you would have been restricted from receiving communion and and the sacrament of reconciliation (confession). However, with the first divorce just a good confession was all that was needed to put you back in good standing with the church. To have married in the church with your husband you indeed would have needed an Annulment. This would have been a "simple declaration of nullity" with the grounds being "lack of form." This generally only takes a week to a month, and should be free...mine was. You could indeed have your marriage to your husband "convalidated" if you so desired. Even if they do charge a fee, this would be waivable. They wanted $250.00 to do my annulment, I gave them JACK.

What this money is used for is to help pay the expenses of the marriage Tribunal which generally has Canon Lawyers, Psychologists, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit