Does this happen often here?

by Lin 54 Replies latest jw friends

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

having said that what if he just said rude things to a lowly poster like me? who would seriously give a shit? but it's Simon and all of a sudden we have elevation of statuses around here...but god help you if you offend the jedi, emporor or supreme class around here :-(

boy when i was gone everybody has sure developed an edge on them...thanks anyway SJ the slave in Christ...and this classism has got to be recognized for what it is and stop...

just like the WT to have class distinction in the ranks...

just like the WT to make up further excuses for not helping the poor...and trying to squeeze PR points when they do lift an atom...

• jgnat
    jgnat

AGuest, there are always many avenues for rescue. I understand this personally, as I have been on welfare and down to my last egg many times. If this person is not using the other resources available to him (social agencies, family, friends, etc.) it is because he thinks this forum would be easier than other routes (In other words, there will be no accountability for his actions).

A person who is TRULY desperate and can't see any other "way out"? Perhaps? Nahhhh... all "needy" people are con artists

I did not say that. I have been needy many times. But I never approached people on the street. Panhandlers are not all poor. Some have simply have found a more convenient method for collecting income. Which is fine for them. I still have the choice as to whether I want to support that lifestyle or not.

A story. A sweet, gentle woman in my church came to early prayer, distressed at what she had seen on the street only a few blocks away. Tearfully, she described a child firmly holding the hand of a man holding up a home made sign, "No Food. Please feed my Child." I had seen the man, too, but I had a very different reaction. Children do not go hungry in this country unless the parent is spending money on something other than food. I smelled a fish, and I was angry at the man for using his child in this way. I was also angry for giving the poor such a bad image. And for distressing soft and gentle woman like my sister for no good reason. That man did get in the news. The police investigated, and found he was using the children to get bigger donations on the street. He had never been turned down for any social services. His children were taken away.

Here's another one for you. Ever been approached by a deaf person handing out sign language cards for small change? Did you know that the deaf community is insulted by this behavior (culturally, they do not consider themselves handicapped) and that you are probably handing your small change to a person who can hear perfectly well? The deaf community resents this activity very much, as it does not reflect well on their group, or their true lifestyle.

As a graduate of the school of hard knocks, I am insulted by people who use poverty as an excuse to beg for cash. Especially if they can afford a computer and internet access. They reflect badly on the millions of people living below the poverty line. These heroic folk clip coupons, chase down specials, save vegetable and meat scraps for stew, shop second hand, recycle clothing through all the children then cut the rags for rags, save the buttons for a rainy day, have a friend cut their hair, do without, bus and walk because they can't afford a car, wear out shoe leather and filling out endless forms for the smallest subsidy, tolerate budget advice from bureaucrats who have never made home-made stew, make do with libraries museums and art galleries because Disney is an impossible dream. These poor folks raise children who are grateful, hard working, and know the value of a dollar.

• Valis
    Valis
    And I will pray that when your times comes... to be shown a bit of mercy and understanding... you will not be dealt with as harshly as you have dealt.

*LOL* Whatever, I've been in worse shape and the only complaining that was done by my stomach...when I had no money or a home. I've lived on the streets, in flop houses, dope houses and worse where one sees the basest of human behavior and existence. Perhaps you think its harsh to make someone help themselves and also refuse to fall prey to one of the newer forms of getting money from people...kind of like the people driving Cadillacs to pick up their weekly grocery allotment from the food bank. Things suck sometimes, of which I have no doubt, but they suck mostly because people make bad choices and fail to take care of business, which means selling your things or doing whatever is required of you to make money...say a garage sale for instance....get rid of your worldly possessions to met financial obligations...people do it all the time. Or as suggested by others, donating plasma, applying for federal aid...humbling, but something to consider other than soliciting for cash over the net.

having said that what if he just said rude things to a lowly poster like me? who would seriously give a shit? but it's Simon and all of a sudden we have elevation of statuses around here...but god help you if you offend the jedi, emporor or supreme class around here :-(

Yes I would still give a shit and no there isn't a distinction. There is no elevation of status, however if someone came to your house and said nasty little things would you be inclined to offer them help when they came calling? You might not even let them back in the house. It just so happens that Simon runs this joint if you hadn't noticed and if a user decideds to slam Simon for doing his job then I think everyone of us should stand up and say something...and then of all things ask for help at the next turn...kinda dumb...

boy when i was gone everybody has sure developed an edge on them...thanks anyway SJ the slave in Christ...and this classism has got to be recognized for what it is and stop...

Boy when you were gone things really changed huh? As if healthy skepticism equals being harsh. Gimme a break.

just like the WT to have class distinction in the ranks...

There is no valid comparison.

just like the WT to make up further excuses for not helping the poor...and trying to squeeze PR points when they do lift an atom...

That's just plain idiotic. No one is making excuses for anything. Those who think this is a place to make such appeals might want to check with Simon before soliciting other members..especially for money. You know why that didn't happen? Because your poster child for the needy neglected to contact Simon before hand and would have probably gotten a resounding no based on their behavior to this point. As well, no one is seeking PR points, whatever the hell that means.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• jgnat
    jgnat

Heyyyy Valis my brother. I knew we had something in common! Having faced poverty head-on makes it easier to smell a fish, wouldn't you say?

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

I have been poor. I had not paid my rent for six months and had gone to my last court date and had days to either come up with the money or they were sending the sheriff to evict me. I gathered up all of my household possessions and clothes, cleaned and shined everything up and went on ebay. I sold evertything I had and the last thing I sold was my computer. I packed it up and sent it to the winner bidder. Thereafter, I went to the library to use the computers there. I didn't raise all the money but I got a substantial part of it. I paid my rent for four months and they accepted that. This gave me time. Time to get myself together without worrying about whether I was going to be thrown out on the street, time to look for a decent job and time to get my life back on tract. It was not easy. I was left with just the clothes on my back and an extra pair of jeans. I never thought of asking anyone for help. It just never occurred to me.

In the meantime I went to welfare and told them what had occurred and they told me next time to come to them sooner. They gave me food stamps and medical insurance and told me if I did not find employment in a month to come back to them.

Of course, all of this was not easy. But there are avenues and if one so desires help is out there. No one has to beg for money. There are social agencies all over that want to help. You need only ask.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

slamming Simon for doing his job is one thing (btw which is outstanding from the outset), but disagreeing on his opinions (which i rarely do) is another...it's not just Simon by the way, it's people like you valis who love to throw their weight around. admit it ;-)

with what Simon has to put up with, I laud the man for keeping it straight around here at all...

yes, there is WTS like class distinction subtly going on here at times on this board

yes, there is WTS like weasel-worded excuses for not helping the legitimate needy and

yes, i've been in dire straits and have pulled my self thru the school of hard-knocks while swallowing my pride and asking for assistance when only absolutely necessary...and

no, I admit he wasn't a poster child for good manners or taste in soliciting the board as a newbie, but I read some of the background and tempered my reaction a bit....and

yes, it's a bloody shame that people exist in this planet that abuse people's generosity, but that is where it's at and the law of karma would apply here...what comes around will eventually bite one in the ass...

• Valis
    Valis

slamming Simon for doing his job is one thing (btw which is outstanding from the outset), but disagreeing on his opinions (which i rarely do) is another...it's not just Simon by the way, it's people like you valis who love to throw their weight around. admit it ;-)

*sighs*...calling someone a nazi for moderating this board is not disagreeing. I would also dispute the notion that I have more weight, except my beer belly, than anyone else does here. I might be more opinionated than some , but that doesn't mean my opinion is any more important or valid than anyone else...I would like you to prove otherwise.

with what Simon has to put up with, I laud the man for keeping it straight around here at all...

And you think it helps to have people soliciting money when unauthorized for any reason?

yes, there is WTS like class distinction subtly going on here at times on this board

show me please

yes, there is WTS like weasel-worded excuses for not helping the legitimate needy and

show me what those weasel worded excuses were please..

no, I admit he wasn't a poster child for good manners or taste in soliciting the board as a newbie, but I read some of the background and tempered my reaction a bit....and

good for you..

yes, it's a bloody shame that people exist in this planet that abuse people's generosity, but that is where it's at and the law of karma would apply here...what comes around will eventually bite one in the ass...

At least we can agree on that!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Francois
    Francois

That was the very first time I've ever seen anyone come right out and axe for money anywhere on the Inet. Never seen it before, never.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

what was really the kicker was that he dumped all his info about his banker, residence, etc on the net...now i hope the guy doesn't get identity stolen or something...that's a big indication of desperate circumstances in my (warped it seems) mind....

Valis, excuse me if I sound a bit liberal to you.

AGuest...and did you not read the things Simon documented and posted in the other thread? It would seem to me that the person in question would have some humility, especially when they go asking for cash from members of this forum

this is what I was talking about when referring to this class distinction...ie a new poster would have to show a certain pre-requisite humility (albeit he didn't know who runs the board at the time) before he/she would be given consideration... at that time i didn't know he trashed Simon for being Nazi-like (it's amazing how people dump that in there when there isn't a real comparison...)

and excuses for not giving is exactly what the WT does...instead of doing it they always find a way around it...like this for instance

I wish I could assist but I don't have the money or time to really help

yet even the smallest suggestion or contribution when added together can make an amazing difference...

mainly, I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt...wherever possible...

but I hate the entitlement mentality and those who would take advantage of generosity.

• jgnat
    jgnat

sunscapes, I take exception to this statement.

THAT is a very WTS type of thing to say. The WTS is constantly harping on its member about the subtle ploys of the enemy, suggesting that people can be duped without being aware of it. By suggesting that there are subtle class distinctions here on the board will only breed self-doubt, confusion, and rumor. (I wonder if I am one of the distinguished class??). As far as I can tell, there are several kinds of class distinctions here. First of all, everyone knows how many times you have posted. Get to a thousand? Jedi Class (am I remembering the class distinctions aright?). That is a non-subtle distinction between posters. Also, all posters vote with their fingers. A flaming subject gets a lot more attention. Some trolls are good at collecting lengthy threads. As this is a democratic method of classification, it, also, is non-subtle. I do notice that some posters are treated with respect by nearly everybody. Ozziepost, Blondie, and others come to mind. Is there some subtle force at play that awards these posters greater respect than others? I got it. Politeness, courtesy, and mutual respect. Subtle and intangible qualities to be sure, sometimes overlooked by the newcomers.

Sunscapes, if you still stand by this statement, please back it up with some hard examples.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit