Does this happen often here?

by Lin 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Lin
    Lin

I just finished reading and replying to Yizuman's post requesting financial help! What?!!! Join a forum like this and within days start asking for money?! What?!!! Does this happen often here? It's the first time I've seen this happen so far, and it really ticked me off! Then for him to bring up my niece Jesika, as far as her being able to vouch for him, that she *KNOWS* him? How the Hell would any of us really KNOW each other on a worldwide web site?! Jesika, girl...........beware!

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Hi Lin,

I wouldn't say that his happens very often. Two situations like this stand out in my mind. One was legit and the other was not. The legit one was from a long time poster who was in dire circumstance. The other was from a newbie who needed money for "legal costs" which turned out to be completely bogus.

From time to time a poster will need a little help with a particular situation and people have offered their help. Granted, those circumstances were verifiable and the posters not new to this board.

Whether Yuziman's delemia is true, or not, I really do not know. Too many times people have told a tale of woe, that doesn't necessarily involve money, only to be proven a fraud later. Poster "Danni" is one for the history books. So, I am certainly not inclined to reach for my checkbook any time soon.

Andee

• AGuest
    AGuest

And where would you suggest he go, dear Lin? To the WTBTS? Family? Girlfriend, don't be so quick to judge... there are folks in need, here and elsewhere. If you feel "compelled" and you can help... then help. If you can't... well, of course, you can't. Only you know what you can do.

But don't be so quick to take offense because someone asked you for help, 'cause you NEVER know... when you might be in the same "boat". People here... help people here... all the time.

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

P.S. And if you ever do help someone and find out it was a "hoax"... then calm yourself with the thought that YOUR intention was "good"... and consider it a "gift" given to God; He will repay you, one way or another... I promise.

Edited by - AGuest on 7 December 2002 18:25:40

• Lin
    Lin

AGuest, who'se "judging"? I haven't judged anyone, I'm simply asking a question and suggesting Reader Beware when people start asking for money. If Yizuman's circumstances are true, then there are numerous social service type places, churches, amongst others where help can be found. I'm SIMPLY saying IMO that it seems rather odd for someone so new to start requesting money, rather than simply requesting information or suggestions of where help can be found.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Lin, I read your post there too, you seem to be defensive that he mentioned your niece "Jesika" why don't you have an email tete-a-tete with her and find out the real truth about the situation...

self-suffienciency is always easier when we have our full set of 'faculties', when you're deaf it's like playing a whole hockey game short handed...

AGuest, you're right on.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Lin, did you read All the thread? Lin, did you read sKally's post?

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I just got ripped off on a Yahoo online auction.

I'm $950.00 poorer because the guy that was pretending to be Alejandro Diaz in Las Vegas was actually an identity theft.

I filed a report to the FBI.

So I can understand someone's need of being very cautious in a situation like this. I still tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. After reading the post, just their willingness to have anyone check up on their claims is evidence that this is probably a legit case. In my case, I should have heeded my own warning signs - the individual said he was going to sell the laptop to another bidder because I wanted to wait to hear from a previous bidder of his on whether or not they received their laptop. One thing I've yet to do is learn to follow my gut instincts.

My gut instincts on this one is that this person is legit. I wish I could assist but I don't have the money or time to really help.

When times get "rough" for me, it's things like this that help me appreciate how lucky I am. Throwing $950.00 out the window is enough to send a guy into depression too.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

point well taken; it's a fine line between cautious yet not being cold-hearted or unreasonable...

The WTS claims "reasonableness" yet practices something quite contrary and unchristian...

there is something to be said for gut instinct...

I read the whole thread too and came to your same conclusion.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I've been in very serious financial stuff as well. I've helped people before, and but I also got to know them pretty well.

As with anything, caveat emptor

"Let the buyer beware."

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Lin you said...It's the first time I've seen this happen so far, and it really ticked me off!

yes you are judging

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit