Is this a discussion forum or a debating forum , which is it ?

by smiddy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

Cofty, Intellectually, honestly, I have to label myself an atheist.

I am convinced that you or the atheist community in general can cast doubt on all organized forms of religion.

I agree faith can not tolerate scrutiny.

The atheist are batting 100% in discrediting all other religions and belief systems.

Maybe that is the domain of the atheist, and I should leave it at that.

The atheist do not believe in a known God, or creator.

And they can cast doubt on any known God or creator. 

I can accept that. 

In a way they are like Jehovah's witnesses on steroids, they tear everything down.

But offer nothing in its place standing over the ruins of faith.

• cofty
    cofty

All there is to offer you in place of faith and superstition is the whole of reality.

Is that not enough?

• Viviane
    Viviane

In a way they are like Jehovah's witnesses on steroids, they tear everything down.

That implies there is or should have been something of value there in the first place.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I try to avoid debates.  I appreciate your opinion but have no interest or desire to change your mind.

Perhaps that makes me uncaring, but the reality is that I got my own stinkin problems and don't care enough to get involved with yours. 

So, I vote for discussion, no debate. 

• Twitch
    Twitch

Do you get confused sometimes whether this site is a discussion forum or a debating forum ?

No

Clearly a discussion forum, though considering the site's nature, informal debates are often a result.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I know of no discussion forum that doesn't involve some debate, it's the nature of the beast. There are some topics that are always going to be contentious, it's pretty simple to avoid them if you don't like that kind of thing. I find them interesting, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for it, so I avoid them, no problem.  It is what it is. 
  • Isle of Lewis
    Isle of Lewis
    But offer nothing in its place standing over the ruins of faith.

This is profoundly naive and immature.

You're complaining that ignorance is being torn down. You condemn as liars the people pointing out simple, obvious facts. Followed by whining that reality, freedom, and knowledge aren't enough to satisfy your neediness.

Go back to your superstitions. Your babysitters are waiting. 

• Simon
    Simon
    I know of no discussion forum that doesn't involve some debate, it's the nature of the beast.

Yeah, I wonder how people imagine things would work with a rule of "discussion is allowed but NO DEBATE !!". What does that even mean? How would it work?

When people say "debate" do they mean disagreement? It's perfectly possible to disagree without being disagreeable. It would be a very dull place indeed if everyone was expected to have the same opinion.

It would be just like being back in the WTS.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    Thanks Smiddy for the thread. Quite interesting to read eveyone's take on the subject. Terry, thanks for your contribution. Good manners rule! Not only what you say, but how you say it. I also second Blondie's contribution. Discussion - Dialogue - Debate. In a perfect world that would be the answer, similar to the debates on BBC, sometimes heated, yet civilized. 
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

But offer nothing in its place standing over the ruins of faith.  -James Brown

(Please see my next post in answer to this, can't seem to get out of quote on here on my iPad)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit