Is this a discussion forum or a debating forum , which is it ?

by smiddy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

Do you get confused sometimes whether this site is a discussion forum or a debating forum ?

Just asking

Whats your thoughts.

smiddy

• Simon
    Simon
    Why do you think the two are mutually exclusive? A debate is just a formal discussion.
  • Max Divergent
    Max Divergent
    It's a discussion forum that often descends into mass debating.
  • talesin
    talesin

And by the way, there is nothing formal or in the least bit professional or even mannerly, in the 'debates' that happen regularly on here.  Some of the language and inferences are appalling, and would never be allowed in a *real* or *formal* debate.

lol, Robert's Rules ...... I doubt if anyone reading this ever even heard of them.

• Simon
    Simon

Just a reminder: if there is ever any discussion or debate that is too intense which you don't like then you can visit any one of millions of other web pages instead. Shock horror.

And what is so bad about debate?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I thought this was interesting in Wiki

"Debating is also carried out for educational and recreational purposes, usually associated with educational establishments. The major goal of the study of debate as a method or art is to develop the ability to debate rationally from either position with equal ease"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate

Sometimes part way through a debate on here I do find myself seeing the other person's point of view so clearly it is hard to continue with objections to their arguments. This doesn't always mean that I agree with them but I perceive that with their life experience, educational level and personality type I can see where they are coming from.

When I speak of educational level I don't necessarily mean lack of formal education. Some highly intelligent and well-read people swallow the party line of academia whole and refuse to see any agenda beyond the fact that they are wonderful people looking for truth.

• talesin
    talesin

Simon, I love to debate.  But let's be honest - it's the internet, and a real debate, with points taken and *respect* shown is just not the reality in this medium.  Sad, but true.

We have some good discussions, some great debates, and some really sad and embarrassing free-for-alls. Mostly, in the recent past, I am disappointed in what passes for debate on this forum.  But, that is my choice to be here (and it's a great place, thank you) so I realize that it's a 'put up or shut up' situation.  Majority rules, it's a free forum, and people can choose to be rude and dismissive if they wish.  It's not *my* coffee shop.

Smiddy - you are always one of my favorite people to read, and anything that I say which is negative, is NOT directed at you.  xo

• talesin
    talesin

wow, very cool to have my definitions of debate vs.discuss deleted.

What, about that post, broke the rules, SIMON! 

NOTHING.

So you just DELETE anything that makes you look wrong?  Well, I am sure you will delete THIS.

Really shocked and disgusted by this.  YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

FUCK YOU and the HORSE YOU RODE IN ON.

So, now I am sure to be deleted.  That's fine, I am DONE.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    she went thaddaway
  • cofty
    cofty

There are no formal debates on JWN. Often debates are more about the skills of the debaters than the facts being discussed but they can be interesting. They require a moderator and adherence to strict rules. Look at some of the creationists debating on YouTube. It's like inviting somebody to spend 15 minutes ransacking your house and then you get 15 minutes to put it all back or else you lose.

On JWN we discuss things. The word debate only applies in an informal way.

I have seen some very good discussions here. Sometimes people make significant shifts in their beliefs as a result. It's useful to see the very best arguments for a position you believed in taken apart with reason and evidence. To expect discussions to be entirely friendly and stay rigidly on-topic, when hundreds of posters are free to chip in at any time, is not reasonable.

My biggest gripe is people who don't take time to carefully read previous posts on a thread before posting but that is the nature of an internet forum. For a forum that challenges people's most dearly held beliefs I think it is surprisingly calm.

Talesin - rafters,eyes, splinters and all that sort of stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit