Is this a discussion forum or a debating forum , which is it ?

by smiddy 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"I come here for the support.  I like Terry's description of a triage."

To some extent everyone who participates or lurks here is looking for support of some kind. My personal view is that if we have something we can share that helps someone else then we should share it to help that person. We all have different things and different amounts of things.

The predominate means I use to help people online on forums like this is to make myself available to answer questions and flesh out topics they need help with, if I can. I get the same help myself by engaging with persons who know things I don't, that is so long as they are willing to let themselves be challenged and answer questions accordingly.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"However sometimes a question is used as a trap or weapon....... sometimes as an insult. That should be avoided by moving the debate along if possible....... instead of getting bogged down."

I've never understood thinking like that. Ever!

If a precise question is asked and the answer is relevant to the subject then that question deserves an answer. The only "trap" I see in a question is on the part of someone who does not want to face what the answer says about something they want to hold as valid.  

The fastest way to move a discussion along is to give straightforward answers to relevant questions. This is how we learn and grow. If anything, failure to answer questions bogs down honest discussion.

We all should refuse to let questions insult us. We grow by facing questions and answering them.  

• blondie
    blondie

I formally debated and competed in high school.

Discussion

Dialogue

Debate

Pardon me if I share someone else's ideas with this post.

http://www.emich.edu/facdev/docs/Dialogue,Debate,Discussion.pdf

http://oregonstate.edu/oei/sites/default/files/comparing_debate_discussions_dialogue.pdf

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Anything that can be contentious tend to be posted in the politics forum. If I recall that was created a few years after this site was set up, in large due to debating occurring on the regular discussion sections.

There are a number of posters who enjoy debating and having a separate section as in the politics forum can be a good thing, leaving other sections for those who maybe still JW's or lurking around for Watchtower related discussions.

• James Brown
    James Brown

The only faith that is uncontested and encouraged here is atheism.

Having said that, 'It is what it is.

I enjoy it

The kingdom hall breeds atheist.

If you post about any other faith than atheism, your feet will be held to the fire

and you will be demanded to prove evidence above and beyond what is required to be of

the atheist faith..  Get ready the atheist will be coming out in a minute foaming at the moth

saying we are not a faith, we are not a belief, we are the truth.

Who does that remind you of.

What believers, and that is a big all encompassing word, call evidence or reasons to believe

atheist call circular reasoning.

And what atheist call evidence or reasons not to believe believers call circular reasoning.

With those rules of play, the truth will always be elusive.

And I figure that is just the way it is.

If there is a God that is the way he made it.

And if there is no God that is the way it is.  

• James Brown
    James Brown

One thing, I like about this new site is I can post in paragraphs.

But how do you edit your post once you submit it?

Can you? 

• Simon
    Simon

There should be an edit link under the posts you author (for up to 30 minutes)

Do you see the like / dislike and flag options? Should be on the same line as those ...

• Viviane
    Viviane

The only faith that is uncontested and encouraged here is atheism.

People here disagree with atheism all the time.Your statement is demonstrably untrue. Nor is atheism a faith of any sort.

• cofty
    cofty

James Brown - Unlike theists I welcome challenges to my beliefs. I'm still waiting for an interesting challenge.

One reason that there may be a majority of atheists here is that faith can't tolerate scrutiny so those who don't want to risk losing their superstitions don't stay.

Where are all the theists who can defend their beliefs?

• Simon
    Simon
    Where are all the theists who can defend their beliefs?

I think the problem is their definition of "defend". For so many theists, they think shouting JESUS IS LOVE!!! in your face over and over constitutes a convincing and compelling argument.

They think they are providing the perfect defence and mistake the laughter for applause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit