bad songs

by freedom96 45 Replies latest jw friends

• jukief
    jukief

I was already out when these two songs were popular, but I knew at the time they would have been taboo, so I took great delight in them:

I Don't Wanna Be a Witness by Cindi Lauper :-) That song was my anthem when I quit the dubs.

and how about

I Touch Myself--one of my favorite nasty songs.

When I was young, I would stop singing along to Simon and Garfunkle's Cecelia when it got to the part "when I come back to bed someone's taken my place." I just couldn't bring myself to say those adulterous words. :-)

Ah, so much has changed!

• Aztec
    Aztec

I was good at being sneaky when I was a teen so I had copies of the all the nastiest music out therePrince, Beastie Boys, Dead Kennedys, you name it!

When we went in field service after school my friends and I used to play Sir Mix a Lot's "Bittermilk Biscuits" and when we had sleep-overs we would listen to 2 Live Crew! We were BAAAAAAD!

~Aztec

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    OH and to make it clear - I throw away Bob Dylans records FOR NO MAN!!!

Awesome, Pope, Bob is still awesome! My name, "NeonMadman," is from "Stuck Inside of Mobile..."

Heard the new Bootleg Series? Rolling Thunder was the first time I saw Bob live, so it really brings back memories. I don't remember anyone in the congregation ever complaining about me listening to Bob, either - oddly enough. I got turned down as a regular pioneer partly because I listened to the Beatles, though.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Neon

well I have my copy of LIVE 1975 on order, the special edition with the DVD. Is that the one you got? Anyway that is possibly the greatest concert series of Bob career. I played the little snippets off the album on www.bobdylan.com, Tambourine Man is SO GREAT!!! Almost made me cry....

Hey you know a while back I Emailed David Mansfield, the genius violin/multiinstrumentalist Bob used on that tour. And he replied! So cool! David is a lovely guy, has his own website. He scored the music for the YaYa Sisterhood movie....

Bob is still the man!

Pope

• Englishman
    Englishman

Re The Twist:

So what have you learned about this dance? In this example we have found that the dance craze mainly involves bodily gyrations and that the words used to describe them are "frantic," "sensual" and "erotic." You have also learned what kind of persons developed the dance and that it is basically an imitation of some pagan tribe's dance, involving gestures of a sexually suggestive nature.

Now, what are the Bible principles and commandments that will illuminate the facts you have learned? If you do not know, ask a mature Christian. Or use the Watch Tower Publications Index to direct you to those principles. You will find many. For instance, does the dance involved conduce to holy conduct? God's Word says: "Become holy yourselves in all your conduct." God's Word speaks out against "cravings for sensual pleasure." It warns against "shameful conduct" and "things which are not becoming." It requires modesty for Christian women. Christians are told to consider and practice whatever things are "chaste."-1 Pet. 1:15; Jas. 4:1; Eph. 5:4; Phil. 4:8;1 Tim. 2:9.

Now ask yourself: How does the dance you have in mind measure up to those Scriptural requirements? You should be able to make the right decision now.

Englishman.
  • NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    well I have my copy of LIVE 1975 on order, the special edition with the DVD. Is that the one you got?

Yep, that'd be the one. The DVD is pretty cool. It has videos of "Tangled Up In Blue" and "Isis" and a DVD audio of "Isis" It appears to be the same performance of "Isis" in both cases, but the video version is incomplete; it starts part way into the song. The audio is the whole song. Kinda strange.

I wish Bob would put out some more on DVD; the only thing he has out currently is Don't Look Back. There has to be a ton of concert footage out there that would make great DVD material. And then there's always Renaldo and Clara...(hey, I can dream, right?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit