bad songs

by freedom96 45 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

My friend got counseled back in the early 70's for having Santana's Abraxas album. Not particularly because of the music or even the demonic(?) images on the album cover. No, it was wrong to have that album 'because "Santana" is a feminine version of Satan'. I wonder if the person who gave the counsel ever found out that that was the guy's name...

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I remember at one district assembly in the '70's, some idiot gave a talk and mentioned that the song "Undercover Angel" (remember that pop hit from the 70's?) was a bad song because it was about having sex with angels.

Also, anything DISCO was strictly forbidden. Anything!!!

• Swan
    Swan

RunningMan wrote:

I don't suppose anyone will believe this, but at one time, the song "Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day was banned.

I believe it, because now that you mention it, I remember that was one of the songs on the radio we kids weren't allowed to sing.

Tammy

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Well in my congregation and the nearby ones that was a pretty easy question to answer.

Q: "What should we not listen to?"

A: "Whatever [Bendrr] listens to".

Therefore officially banned in my neck of the woods back in da day: AC/DC, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, KISS, Poison, Warrant, Winger, Cinderella, Vixen, Lita Ford, Van Halen, Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Stones, The Beatles, Manowar, Metallica, Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, Guns & Roses, and any other band played on the local rock station. In fact, I think the station itself was unofficially banned.

Mike.

• Brumm
    Brumm

Had to throw away 3 records to keep the theocratic reputation:

Sexual healing ...Marvin Gay!

All night long..Mary Jane Girls.

Between the sheets...Isley brothers.

Got counselled from the platform for lending an Elders son "Bad" album. Elder thought "Bad" meant doing something really vile. Well he wasnt down with MJ was he!

Brummie

• minimus
    minimus

Brother Prince's You Sexy MotherFuc..and his other song Head. D'Angelo's Shit, Damn, Motherfu....Billy Paul's adultery anthem, Me & Mrs. Jones and Afternoon Delight.

• avishai
    avishai

Undercover, the first song, let's live for today is by the grass roots. One toke over the line is by the greatful dead, I think.

Anyway, this is a big subject for me. Music got me physically beaten on more than one occasion by my mom. Tainted love, which I played at a jukebox at a restaurant, she grounded me for, although she never told me why, she just said, it's dirty & you know why!

Another hilarious time, the elders called me over, as they needed help "translating" songs, as they could'nt understand the lyrics. My friends stepdad was mad at him so he brought all his music to the elders. The first song they wanted me to look at was "God bless the children of the beast" by Motley crue, which I was happy to show them was an instrumental. Then they wanted to know about Bostons song "Foreplay" again, an instrumental. They were too stupid to just look for liner notes. They counseled him for the boston album, w/ "smokin" & "let me take you home tonight" Idiots. The Crue album was WAY worse.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I was into His Bobness BIGTIME as a teenager. The only time I had something said to me was when my brother and the CO took a shortcut through our yard past my open bedroom window, and I was playing IDIOT WIND at FULL BLAST!!! Bob screamin 'We're all IIIDDIOTTS BABE" as the CO walks past... HA HA!! I bet my brother copped it a bit for that too!

Another time my Idiot brother had a talk, and it was about music. So he had me tape 2 songs on a cassette and I was supposed to push the play button at the 2 certain times in his talk. The "appropriate" song example was "Fuer Elise" by Beethoven. Admittedly thats a nice piece of music. Then the inappropriate song was "Dance to the Music" by Sly and the Family Stone.

After the meeting all the young ones came over to me and said that the second song was REALLY cooooool and can they get a copy off me!!! HA HA!! That talk backfired! And later I learned that some members of that group are/were/became JW's!!!

Pope

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

OH and to make it clear - I throw away Bob Dylans records FOR NO MAN!!!

Pope

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

What about Jerry Lee Lewis and, whole lot of shakin going on? I'm sure that one must have been banned. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit