Going door to door in extreme weather

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

This morning as I got up, it was 0 F outside. This morning at 9 O'clock as usual the same witnesses will go door to door at this temperature. I already saw them going door to door at -25 F. I wonder what it would take for them to say it is too cold or too hot to go out in the field service? Does anyone have any stories about witnesses and extreme temperature?

• gumby
    gumby

They get invited in more when it's cold.

They feel more of a loyalty sense when they sacrafice the cold.

I lived in Ariz. and went out all the time in the summer when it was above 115 alot.The heat was just as bad.

• LB
    LB

You just have to know who to pair up with when the conditions are rough. For example I knew a couple of brothers who looked forward to service as much as I did. So we'd hook up and head for donuts. After all Jehovah didn't want us dead, yet.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The other day our van was in the shop getting fixed from the break-in and hubby and I were out walking in -20 C temp. I had a flash of going door-to-door in those temp. Brrrr

It changed those days. We would keep apartment territories for those days or drive around doing RVs. And we had the usual coffee break that took longer than the time we actually spent out

right now it is -24 C and if we add in the windchill factor -34 C

what am I doing here?

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Oh the memories! Freezing your butt off.....boots that didn't keep your feet warm. Fingers frozen beyond feeling. Any my "pleather" bookbag cracking from the cold!

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Maybe we should cross reference this thread with the one on mental illness! Why? Because it's crazy to expose yourself to these dangerous conditions for such a useless endeavor.

Stan

• Scully
    Scully

When I was about 12 or 13, I can remember going out in service during the COs visit. We were working in rural territory and I was partnered with the COs wife and my dad was working with the CO.

It was so cold, the wind was bitter, and there had been a recent "local needs" talk about how it was inappropriate for sisters to wear slacks to go door to door, it didn't matter that we lived in Quebec and that the temperatures went to -40C and lower. We had to be more concerned about representing "Jehovah" properly than about personal comfort.

So there we were trudging through snowbanks, wearing cotton leotards under our skirts, and boots up to the calves. We'd been going for about 40 minutes, and finally got someone home. While the COs wife was giving the presentation, I started feeling dizzy, and then everything went black. I woke up in my dad's car with the heater blasting on me. We went for coffeebreak, and the CO said something about how I'd brought reproach on Jehovah for what happened. Apparently the householder was horrified that they'd take a child door to door in that weather to the point where they'd pass out from the cold. So I got in trouble for something that was beyond my control. Where was Jehovah when I was freezing my arse off for his name's sake anyway??

Love, Scully

• Mary
    Mary

We'd go out when it was cold, but not when it was absolutely freezing.........as stunned as our elder body was, they did not expect you to go out if your life was endangered. They would say "if you've got a study you can go to that's fine, but don't do street territory".

One time I was in the car group with the CO and his wife when it was a wee bit chilly. Sister Battleax decided to suck up to the CO when I suggested it was coffee break time by saying "we don't need to stop for coffee and I think we can sacrifice 20 more for Jehovah." The CO was not impressed and said to me "where's the nearest coffee shop?" LOL!! Sister Battleax was totally embarassed and didn't say a whole lot more!!

• TR
    TR

There was this elder, Darius Rustad was his name, who'd say to people when out in service on a cold day; "Hello, we're stepping into people's homes today to tell them about the good news."(hint hint hint)

TR

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

I don't know how many time we ended up digging the car out of snowbanks or trying to push cars up the hill to the Kingdom Hall. The Hall was on a hill and you would have to get a run-on at the bottom to try to make it up. Always thought that was crazy. If the snow is too deep to drive in what the hell are we having a meeting for?

I remember going door-to-door and it being so cold you could hear the trees cracking and snapping. Happens when the sap freezes in the trees..Pychos I tell ya.

Wolfy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit