Going door to door in extreme weather

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Scout
    Scout

Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying all of your posts for months now - I've appreciated all of your comments, jokes, disagreements , encouragement, etc. Thank you!

When I read this post, I just had to reply. I had so many experiences that tie in with this topic.

I have had frozen feet - those boots, extra socks, and bread bags never did it for me. (Am I the only one who had to wear bread bags?)

I passed out in the heat at least three times that I can remember. How embarassing!

And I was bit by two dogs (at different times - thank goodness!)

Now I live in a wonderfully moderate climate and have a cat. Oh and of course, NO FIELD SERVICE.

Thanks for the memories - Scout

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Uhhh.. bread bags? what are you talking about? I did wear the layered thick socks, over my tights, and then had some long-Janes on, under my pants, and then under my dress. . . but I don't know what the bread bags were used for. Please enlighten me.

• Mulan
    Mulan

An elderly sister was visiting our area from way up in Northern Alaska, one winter. She was appalled at the way we dressed. She showed us her service outfit. It was ski warmups, and a long coat with fur lined hood. She didn't need that much warmth in a Seattle winter, but she was prepared if she did.

After that, I would wear tights, skinny pants, a long skirt, boots and a long coat if it got real cold here. I figured if anyone criticized me, I would direct them to my husband who had given me permission. I thought people would be more likely to talk to someone who was dressed warm, and less likely to criticize the idiocy of being out in that weather.

• acsot
    acsot

Bread bags - ah yes, bread bags. Or any plastic bag that fit around your foot. We'd wear a pair of socks, stick our feet into plastic bags, then sometimes another pair of socks would go on. That would be in case someone invited us in to sit down and it looked really strange to pull off your boot and have plastic bags hanging out of them.

The plastic was supposed to be very good insulation in the cold weather. What a weird religion.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sounds like the plastic would prevent moisture from escaping the foot causing ice to form.

Has anyone here actually done this? Did your feet end up sopping wet?

• Scout
    Scout

Ascot - I am so thankful that others had to wear bags over their feet too!

My feet were never sopping wet by wearing the bags - because they were frozen popsicles. Personally, I don't think the bread bags (Wonder was always my favorite) helped at all. When it's 20 below, the best thing to do is stay inside and warm your feet by the toasty fire.

Ah..........the memories.

Scout

• Jourles
    Jourles

I used to live in ski country in Colorado and there were times when we would all wear our ski pants, parkas, and Sorels(or any kind of heavy duty snow boot), and underneath we would just have a dress shirt and a tie poking out through the top of the parka. That way, it appeared to the householder we were dressed up underneath. We did not care too much about looking the part. It was all about comfort and warmth. Several times the householders would tell us we were pretty smart dressing that way because of the deep snow and below-freezing temps. Of course, living in a major multi-ski resort county, there were many transients and 'poor' workers who were only there for the free ski pass while rooming with 5 other people to make rent for the season. You could always tell the locals from the tourists. Only the tourists cared how they looked. The diehard locals would be the ones with duct tape holding their 2 year old parka together because of the extreme use. It was very laid back going out in service there.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I also used to go in field service under extreme weather conditions. I did it on purpose and thought the householder would understand that it is a very important message I wanted to tell them. Today, I guess they thought I was either nuts or forced to to this.

BTW, I had a small "heating" for the pockets with a piece of coal that burned in a special box to keep my fingers warm. Nevertheless, I know the feeling of not having any feelings in your limbs left.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Child Protective Services should be contacted whenever JW parents drag their children to Field Circus under extreme weather conditions... now that's child abuse!!!

I remember getting frost bit one Saturday morning at age 9... I'll never forget it... But I can't blame my parents... this came on the heels of a Do-More-Or Die Talk back in January of '74...

• fiddler
    fiddler

Interesting this thread has been 'resurrected' with the extremes of weather (heat related) going on in many parts of the US. I did go out in triple digit weather down in AZ during a month of auxillary pioneering. It was miserable. I've also gone out in rain, rain, and more rain in the Pacific NW where I am now and in both extremes I do remember wondering if the householders were thinking we were just crazy rather than impressed with our zeal.

Now, of course, I know............they thought we were crazy.

For those of you down in Arizona and other hot places, have you seen the dubs out? If they're dragging small children along behind them DO report them to child protective services.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit