where there was a conflict between the Bible and science, the Bible would prevail, because all scripture is "inspired by God"

by freemindfade 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• coalize
    coalize
    Wait...
    ...slavery was clearly condoned in the Bible; does that mean that that "principle" should endure forever?

He! I just come back from lapidating my wife because I found her cheating to me!

• Dumplin
    Dumplin
    thanks freemindfade 4 hours ago

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/04/women-never-rule-jehovahs-church

Quote from article: "Counsel for the commission, Angus Stewart SC, said the problem for the commission was trying to pin down the source of the policies was like trying to "put your finger on a ball of mercury"."

Welcome to our world Angus.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

My problem with this shit is, in what way is making a sister available to listen to a victim of abuse and make a report subject to the victims wishes and in their words, against any principal in the bible.

(Aside from the fact that women were judges in the Hebrew Scriptures, Junia is named as an apostle in Acts although the JW bible turns a feminine proper noun into a neuter. Not to mention the fact that the same scholars who claim the adultrous woman story is a later addition also claim that 'woman not to speak in church'was also a 3rd 4th century reaction to the increasing visability of women in the Xtrian church)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    Paul (or those who wrote Bible books in his name) was a misogynist. So are the JWs.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Aside from the fact that women were judges in the Hebrew Scriptures, Junia is named as an apostle in Acts although the JW bible turns a feminine proper noun into a neuter.

Not only that, but later in the verse where Junia is referred to (Rom. 16:7) the NWT uses the phrase "...who are men well-known..." No other Bible versions or translations that I can find online place the word "men" in that phrase.

New International Version

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.

New Living Translation

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews, who were in prison with me. They are highly respected among the apostles and became followers of Christ before I did.

English Standard Version

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.

New American Standard Bible

Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

King James Bible

Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Holman Christian Standard Bible

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow countrymen and fellow prisoners. They are noteworthy in the eyes of the apostles, and they were also in Christ before me.

International Standard Version

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who are in prison with me and are prominent among the apostles. They belonged to the Messiah before I did.

NET Bible

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my compatriots and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English

Invoke the peace of Andronicus and of Junia, my relatives who were captives with me and were known by The Apostles and they were in The Messiah before me.

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Greet Andronicus and Junia, who are Jewish by birth like me. They are prisoners like me and are prominent among the apostles. They also were Christians before I was.

Jubilee Bible 2000

Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

King James 2000 Bible

Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

American King James Version

Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

American Standard Version

Salute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Salute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners: who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Darby Bible Translation

Salute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles; who were also in Christ before me.

English Revised Version

Salute Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.

Webster's Bible Translation

Salute Andronicus and Junia my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Weymouth New Testament

and to Andronicus and Junia, my countrymen, who once shared my imprisonment. They are of note among the Apostles, and are Christians of longer standing than myself.

World English Bible

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives and my fellow prisoners, who are notable among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Young's Literal Translation

salute Andronicus and Junias, my kindred, and my fellow-captives, who are of note among the apostles, who also have been in Christ before me.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Rod knee-to-the-Groin Stinks... let me just fix that for ya... what you REALLY mean is:

"Where there was a conflict between our interpretation of the Bible and Science, our interpretation prevails because all scripture in inspired bygod, and our organization, being chosen by Jesus who returned invisibly in 1914, taking 5 years to examine all others, declared, in 1919, Jehovah's Witnesses to be God's one True organization and that our Governing Body is God's sole Channel of Communication".

There... that's better.

The crazy... it burns!

• steve2
    steve2

Basing his answer on Scripture being inspired of God and not able to be altered, Spinks stated there is no leadership role for women in the organization. Who said anything about assigning women to leadership positions? The Commission of Inquiry certainly didn't.

Now that's got to hurt the millions of active JW women who have got the skills, experience and knowledge to be able to capably take on assigned 'peripheral' roles in supporting victims of abuse and being a safe listening ear.

I suspect these JW men in positions of power would be afraid JW women would do such a fantastic job that it would show up the inadequacies of male leadership in the organziation.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...where there was a conflict between the Bible and science, the Bible would prevail, because all scripture is inspired by God'..."

Huh.

I guess biologists should take another look at rabbits' eating habits, bats should be subject to reclassification, and the city of Tyre showing up on Google Maps is just a glitch of some kind.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Gordon Bennett! when will pig-ignorant Jehovah's Witnesses realise that when Paul said "All scripture is inspired of God..." he was not referring to the Bible?

The Bible was not compiled until the fourth century... and "scripture" in the first, second and third centuries referred to all and any texts of an uplifting and moralistic nature as opposed to legal and official text.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Interesting, I never thought of it that way

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit