trying to quit smoking

by DanTheMan 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Copy of posting from website I previously mentioned www.stopsmokingcenter.net

Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME

Posted with permission from Joel Spitzer

This concept is taught by almost all programs which are devoted to dealing with
    substance abuse or emotional conflict of any kind. The reason that it is so often
    quoted is that it is universally applicable to almost any traumatic situation.

Dealing with quitting smoking is no exception. Along with NEVER TAKE ANOTHER
    PUFF!, ONE DAY AT A TIME is the key technique which gives the smoker the strength
    to successfully quit smoking and stay free from the powerful grip of nicotine
    dependence.

When first quitting, the concept of ONE DAY AT A TIME is clearly superior to the
    smoker thinking that he will never smoke again for the rest of his life. For when the
    smoker is first giving up smoking, he does not know whether or not he wants to go the
    rest of his life without smoking. Most of the time the smoker envisions life as a
    non-smoker as more stressful, painful, and less fun.

It is not until he quits smoking that he realizes his prior thoughts of what life is like as a
    non-smoker were wrong. Once he quits he realizes that there is life after smoking. It is
    a cleaner, calmer, fuller and, most important, healthier life. Now the thought of
    returning to smoking becomes a repulsive concept. Even though the fears have
    reversed, the ONE DAY AT A TIME technique should still be maintained.

Now, as an ex-smoker, he still has bad moments every now and then. Sometimes due
    to stress at home or work, or pleasant social situations, or to some other indefinable
    trigger situation, the desire for a cigarette surfaces. All he needs to do is say to
    himself, I won't smoke for the rest of today; tomorrow I will worry about tomorrow. The
    urge will be over in seconds, and the next day he probably won't even think of a
    cigarette.

But ONE DAY AT A TIME should not only be practiced when an urge is present. It
    should be practiced daily. Sometimes an ex-smoker thinks it is no longer important to
    think in these terms. He goes on with the idea he will not smoke again for the rest of
    his life. Assuming he is correct, when does he pat himself on the back for achieving his
    goal? When he is lying on his deathbed he can enthusiastically proclaim, "I never
    smoked again." What a great time for positive reinforcement.

Every day the ex-smoker should wake up thinking that he is not going to smoke that
    day. And every night before he goes to sleep he should congratulate himself for
    sticking to his goal. Because pride is important in staying free from cigarettes. Not
    only is it important, but it is well deserved. For anyone who has quit smoking has
    broken free from a very powerful addiction. For the first time in years, he has gained
    control over his life, rather than being controlled by his cigarette. For this, he should be
    proud.

So tonight, when you go to sleep, pat yourself on the back and say, "Another day
    without smoking, I feel great." And tomorrow when you wake up, say, "I am going to
    try for another day. Tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow." To successfully stay free from
    smoking, TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME and - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

• pandora
    pandora

Meadow-
    Wanted to comment on your feeling of crappiness. I felt it too. It was explained to me in this way. When you smoke, the nicotine dampens the cilia in your lungs, so that they don't respond as readily to the buildup going on in your lungs. When you quit smoking the cilia begin to regain conciousness, so to speak. The ones that were destroyed begin to grow back also. So now all this cilia starts doing its job again. Its job being to get all the crap out of your lungs. So you feel pretty crappy at first.
    Good news is, it doesn't last that long. My last cigerette was on October 6th of this year. I used the patch for 4 days and realized I was prolonging the pain. For two weeks after I took that last patch off, you could say I was the evil b***ch from hell. I seriously had violent thoughts. But it broke 2 weeks to the day like a bad fever. I have been level headed since. But I seriously thought I needed therapy there for a bit. But in that time I can honestly say that I didn't give a SERIOUS thought to starting up again. Granted, I craved them VERY badly. But I knew that the answer to my problem was not lighting another cigerette. So I didn't. I don't honestly know how.

At this point, I still crave them, but, I guess I don't crave them as often. I sometimes think I could have 'just one'. Thankfully, I haven't tried. I still consider myself a smoker. Even though it is getting to the point where I can't be in the same room with a real smoker. So I guess somewhere down the road my brain will realize that my lungs quit smoking and I won't think of myself that way anymore. Everyday, I smell something new. It is amazing what your nose can smell given no cigerette smoke to contend with.

In closing, IT WAS WORTH IT. Don't stop trying. The following is hanging on my refrigerator at home. It helped me, maybe it could help you.

What Happens When You Quit Smoking?

Within 30 minutes of quitting smoking, your pulse rate slows down and blood pressure drops toward normal.

Within hours of stopping, the level of carbon monoxide in your blood drops, enabling the blood to carry more oxygen.

Two days after quitting, nerve endings begin to recover and your sense of smell and taste begin to return.

Within 72 hours of quitting, your lungs bronchial tubes expand and lung volume increases.

Months after quitting, shortness of breath diminishes.

In the first year, the risk of heart attack attributed to smoking declines for both men and women.

Two to three years after quitting, the risk of heart attack attributed to smoking is virtually gone.

After 10 years, the risk of developing cancer is about the same as for nonsmokers.

-Distributed under license. Parlay International 1640.030

-P(J)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Ok, I'm almost through day 3, which seems to be the jinxed day that I keep relapsing on. But, I don't plan on leaving the house for the rest of the evening, and I don't have any cigs here, so I think I'm gonna make it. 3 months will be the next hurdle, March 11th. I need to mark that day so I can be mentally prepared knowing that I'm at a dangerous point. Coincidentally March 11th is right around my one year disassociation anniversary. Die evil borg!

Darkhorse, thanks for sharing that. I never really thought about being "proud" to have quit smoking. I tend to think more along the lines of, "you shouldn't have started to begin with you idiot!" Regardless of whether starting up again was a good decision, the article is correct in stating that smoking is a POWERFUL addiction, and those of us who have managed to quit have every right to look at that as an accomplishment.

Thanks to all for the continued encouragement.

I was reproved around April of 2001 for smoking, I had what little "theocratic privileges" I had taken away. It was the beginning of the end. I knew I was in trouble when I started up again 2 weeks later. I joined JW because I was looking for something to fix me, it worked for a while but then I got worse.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I cant tell you how good it is on the other side Dan. It suddenly is really easy.

• Debz
    Debz

Keep going!!!

I`m still off em after 6 months BUT..let me tell you how hard it is...

I have had the odd one or two..when I was subjected to see my ex husband dying in hopsital..which shook me up real bad...that was July 24th after 5 weeks totally off them...

I used Zyban and the book The EASYway to stop smoking.....which helped a great deal....

I actauuly `tried` a ciggie sat night ...3 puffs and that was it..i have to put it out! pretty good for en ex heavy smoker eh!

I am still battling it But think I will do ok....

Keep going - you`re not alone....Debz

• nixi
    nixi

I haven't had one in 12 days now - it's not as hard, as I expected it to be (but hard enough)... after smoking for 11 years (up to 2 packs a day, totally addicted). It's my second try - the first time I thought I could smoke "just one cig" at work after 2 or 3 weeks... my fault...

A few weeks ago, I planned to stop at Decemer, 1 and told all my friends about it - it would be too embarassing to tell them I failed I don't use Zyban or patches. I just try to hang around with as much non-smokers/ex-smokers as possible.

The thought "very, very last cigarette" was a bit frightening (and still is) - so I just go on from day to day. I'm gaining weight due to my new addiction, sweets - but I will take care of that next year...

In the meantime, I do a lot of sports and drink a lot (water, tea... and... coffee ) and try not to think too much about smoking other than "Great, another day without smoking".

Pandora, I liked your post - I'll put this text next to my computer

Nixi

• mouthy
    mouthy

To all of you who quit! Cheers! to all of you still trying! YOU CAN DO IT!!! as I said I was a 2 pack a day smoker... I am NOT going to lie & say its easy .But it is worth it! remember the bucket & my hubbys head over it spewing up his lungs!!! honest its a fact....

Dan dont matter how many times tour a 3 " dayer"that is still 3 days the lungs are without the "fog"

Sorry to keep reminding you !!!! but that is what grannies do!!!!!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

thanks grannie...er, mouthy

I'm on day 4, and I'm definitely starting to get that "non-smoker" feeling that I've experienced in the past when I've been able to stop. It feels good!!

Now if I could quit drinking so much coffee!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Dan, at the moment coffee is good. Anythig is good. Work on them later - I will tell you more more about what I gave up after if you like but I start to feel like I'm preaching.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Dan dont worry about the coffee.Work on that later!!! One thing at a time(((hug))) day 4 GREAT!!!

Preach Ballastic !Preach!!!! go on he needs it at this time -Tell us all what you gave up! I am sure it will be encouraging to all who is trying to quit SOMETHING!!!!(((hug))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit