trying to quit smoking

by DanTheMan 50 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I had a friend who stopped smoking via hypnosis.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Tres:

My stepmom kicked the smoking habit that way. She's been off cigs for 25 years. Now she's addicted to chocolate. Seriously, no laughing matter, she consumes the stuff like you wouldn't believe. I think she needs to get hypnotized to break her chocolate addiction!

I guess I'm doing a little self-hypnosis, by telling myself "I AM A NON-SMOKER DAMMIT" everytime I become conscious of a nicotine craving.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Day 3 is here.

The nicotine cravings are pretty much gone. Thanks to all for your encouragement!!!!

Ballistic, I don't know if it happens at 3 months or not, but it does seem like whenever I quit, after a while I get the idea that I can have just one. It's easy to forget how hard it is to quit. Hopefully I won't forget this time.

I AM A NON-SMOKER NOW DAMMIT!!!!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Im on day 8 Dan.

The patches are doing a pretty good job. Ive hardly been tempted at all.

..."Ballistic, I don't know if it happens at 3 months or not, but it does seem like whenever I quit, after a while I get the idea that I can have just one"...

Same here. Thats how I always get sucked back in. you CANT have ONE. If you have one, youve FALLEN!!

Edited by - refiners fire on 1 December 2002 15:41:28

• mouthy
    mouthy

Keep it up guys!!!! You can do it... Just think of my husbands head over a bucket in his last days

& BIG chunks of lung coming out of his mouth like liver....I am not kidding -They disintegrated!!!(lungs) He said SO many times" God I wished I had listened to everyone talking about smoking!!!!

Hang in there -It is tough -but anything worth having isnt easy..........(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Mouthy. Ive heard some horror stories about the last days of cancer. I believe what you say, dont worry about that.

• ballistic
    ballistic

In the first few months of having given up, I started to notice all the occasional smokers appearing as if out of nowhere. It was like I had never noticed them before. They started to annoy me. I would think "how can they smoke only when they feel like it without being completely addicted?" This started to really agitate me (as is easily done when you have just given up). As I frequented quite a few pubs at the time, I would go out for a pint - successfully not smoke - but would have these nagging thoughts all the time.

Then I realised. It is not about other people. It's about ME. Their situations may be different; some have never been 'real' smokers, some hardly inhale, others do, but have a completely different personality or appear unaffected by addictions. I had to focus in on my own problems and accept the fact that I will never be able to smoke 'just one' ever again.

I know someone that had given up for five years and a friend flipped the lid on a pack of 20 and said to him, "go on... it's Christmas". There he was smoking again after 5 years, and is to this day.

Mouthy that must have been horrible. Makes you wonder sometimes.

• ballistic
    ballistic

dan, how is it going? Don't forget to update us!!! Don't forget that if you have started again, it's not a problem; just don't give up giving up!!!

• meadow77
    meadow77

Way to go Dan. I'm trying to quit too. I no it sux. I have experienced everything you guys talk about. I am on Zyban too, it's so expensive though(as insurance won't pay for it) I guess they figure lung cancer is less expensive? Anyway hang in there. I wanted to ask everyone who has quit smoking, did you feel really crappy the first couple of weeks. I haven't had a cigerette in 2 wks and I feel more congested and am having a harder time breathing sometimes than when I was smoking. Please tell me this will go away.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Meadow, like I said before, I feel a million miles from my last cig. On Jan 22nd (next month) I will be celebrating 1 year of not smoking. It does not even cross my mind anymore. I have completely forgotten smoking. The only time I remember is when I run up two flights of stairs without wheezing and when I check my bank balance at the end of each month.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit