trying to quit smoking

by DanTheMan 50 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    One thing that helped me: positive thinking. When you feel the craving, think "I DO NOT SMOKE" "I AM A NON SMOKER" "I HAVE GIVEN UP SMOKING". Your brain actually listens and stops pestering you after a few minutes.

Thanks for the tip ballistic. I never thought of doing that. Kinda combats the "Oh my god I'm gonna die if I don't get some nicotine" mental chatter.

I must confess I slipped. I didn't buy a pack, but - well, you will probably find this to be a little bit gross, but I went to the gas station, bought a 20 ounce soda (or "pop" as we say here in the midwest), and as I exited I nabbed a half smoked ciggy that was sitting in the ashtray outside.

But, I haven't given up yet. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement all!

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

good for you in keeping on trying to quit!!! when I was in high school I smoked and that lasted about 4 years, I quit after promising my husband that I would before we were married. it's been 25 years now.

what made me want to quit was I actually made myself think that it was nauseating as I was inhaling Now when I see someone light up I think of all the wrinkles they are going to have when they reach 40 and how unattractive it really is plus they downright STINK. You can tell if someone smokes just by them walking by GOOD LUCK to you!!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Update - It is almost 7:00 p.m. right now and I have made it all day without a cigarette. WOOHOO!!! And the cravings really aren't that bad.

4 more hours or so to go. I'm hanging with my family tonight, eating dinner soon and probably playing cards afterwards, so that will serve as a diversion. I know that if I can just make it through one day I'll have it licked.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I just started again Dan...so you'll have to send me all of your unused cigs ;)

When you coming down Rt. 71 again?

• ballistic
    ballistic

The worst thing that can happen over the next few days is that it could be so bad, you have to send yourself to bed early. This drastic measure is better than smoking and the worst of it is over in a few days. Remember ALL OR NOTHING. If you smoke one or admire those friends who can smoke just one, you may as well forget the whole thing.

Keep up the good work!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Lizard,

bad move - picking up smoking! Think of your kids! OK 'nuff preaching.

I was down at Michelle & Mikes for a birthday/Halloween party. I'll probably try to make it down again around the end of December.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good news! I made it all day yesterday without lighting up.

Ballistic, you are so right about admiring friends that smoke. That's what gets me started again every time, watching other people smoke and dwelling on how pleasurable it looks.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Hey great news dantheman--one whole day.....I know how rough it is to stop.I used to smoke 2 packs a day No filter....I stopped to get baptised as a JW(Thanks Borg) ...But it was VERY Difficult.

I had the cleanest house in town-every time I wanted a puff I would clean( did not dare sit down) To have a cuppa I had to put both hands on the cup....

But when I looked after my hubby who died with lung cancer......I was VERY GREATFUL-that I had at least given it up....He suffered terribly- I cannot stand to be in the same room with a smoker now----

I can smell anyone who smokes. As the old saying goes. It dont stop you from getting into Heaven & but sure smeels like you have been to hell...Keep it up DAN!!!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks for the encouragement mouthy.

I'm about halfway through another smoke-free day. I'm gonna make it. I AM A NON-SMOKER NOW DAMMIT!!!!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Keep it up Dan! Also remember that at the lowest times, it seems like an uphill strugle... 
    but it actually gets easier as time passes after the first few days. From where I am standing
    10 months after giving up, it is like I never smoked at all. I have no inclination to smoke 
    what-so-ever. The danger areas for failing are at 3 days and 3 months; 3 days when you think
    you can't bear anymore (when in fact the tables are just about to turn - you're over the worst
    bit). And after 3 months, people have basically clinched it, but forget. They forget all they went through,</PRE><PRE> the pain and anguish and 
    they get cocky. They think "I can have just one, I was strong enough to give up, so I can allow
     myself just one". So they start smoking again.
     P.S. giving up smoking just paid for me to double glaze my entire windows.

Edited by - ballistic on 30 November 2002 19:42:7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit