Told my JW Story at AA Meeting

by COMF 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• COMF
    COMF

I was invited to be a guest speaker at the Saturday night AA speaker's meeting. This meeting usually has a large crowd and they get somebody with longtime sobriety to come up and tell his story of "what I used to be like, what happened, and what I'm like now" as an example for others. I'll have eight years in January, so I guess that makes me fairly longtime.

I told them:

I grew up in the sixties when there were peace demonstrations that turned into riots, civil rights and women's lib issues coming to the fore, the Vietnam War, the hippie movement and Woodstock, and a big swirling mess of ideologies coming at us from all sides. My family was abandoned by my dad, and my mom was a single working parent who held a bachelor's degree in journalism and still couldn't earn a decent income working for the newspaper, simply because she was female. My mom worked hard and was tired at the end of the day, and although she provided for our material needs she wasn't able to do much as far as giving us training in how to live life, and when I came of age I was clueless and in desperate need of some guidance.

I looked for it in mainstream religion and didn't find it; looked for it in one-on-one bible study groups with friends and didn't find it (they were fun and we felt good while we did it, but I didn't get any guidelines for living out of it), studied with the Mormons and saw through that... and by the time Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door I was disillusioned and disgusted, and I decided, "I'm going to accept their bible study and ask them questions that force them to admit they don't have any answers."

Turned out they did have answers. Clear, simple answers, straight out of the bible. They had answers for why everything's in the mess it's in, why God hasn't done anything about it, what happens to you when you die, why we're here, what God expects of us, what hope there is for a happy future... I mean they had it all, neat and seamless and all wrapped up in one neat little package. And to my young, inexperienced, thirsting-for-knowledge mind it was like turning on a switch. I grabbed it with both hands. I asked them, "How do you keep from shouting this stuff from the rooftops?" And they explained to me about field service.

"Field Service" is the term they use to refer to going door to door selling books and magazines. They don't say "selling" because of what it implies; they like to call it "placing" magazines, but selling is what you're doing.

As I got on into the religion I began to encounter problems. Turned out they don't encourage you to use your innate talents in the furtherance of the message. They don't want you to take it upon yourself to explain the scriptures, or come up with novel new ways of spreading the good news of the kingdom, or really do anything that takes any initiative. They frown on independent thinking and actively discourage it. All they want you to do is listen to what they say, the leaders, the governing body; just listen to what they say and accept it without question, and go out in field service selling magazines.

Turned out, field service was their answer to every problem. The way it was explained was, when you're out in field service, you're "preaching the kingdom", and that's where God's holy spirit is, it's blessing the preaching work. So if you're feeling depressed, you need to go in field service and sell more magazines so you can get holy spirit and feel better. If you kid is acting up and getting in trouble, you need to take him in field service so God's holy spirit will set him straight. Selling magazines was their answer for every problem.

Because their little package of answers sounded so clear and logical to me, it never occurred to me to question whether they were what they claimed to be. I was disturbed by lots of things I saw, but I never made the connection. Things got steadily worse for me over the years because I wanted to use my own brain and skills; I wasn't content to just be a mindless zombie selling magazines and parroting answers. I needed to think for myself. And this went against everything the religion taught, so I was constantly butting heads with the elders and getting more and more frustrated. It built on itself until I was just a big mass of emotional stress and tension, and one day somebody at a meeting said something from the platform and it just went all through me, and I got up and walked out.

Now, understand, even then I still believed this was God's chosen religion, the only one. There's a bible scripture Jehovah's Witnesses like to quote: "God will not let you be tested beyond what you are able to bear; but along with it he will make the way out for you to be able to endure it." Well, for 12 years I'd been praying to God, asking for him to make the way out for me to be able to endure it. "Please give me strength to endure, give me wisdom to understand, help me make this work, I want to serve you right. Give me what's missing so that I can be what I'm supposed to be, help me understand, give me faith." And the result of 12 years of praying for that was that I was walking out.

To me, this meant that God obviously didn't want me in his religion, or else he would have given me "the way out for me to be able to endure it". I viewed it as God having rejected me from his religion. So I said to God, "Okay, I see how it is. You don't want me. Fine. You leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone."

There's another bible scripture, speaking about people without hope, that says, "let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die." And buddy, I did. with a vengeance.

---------------------------------------
    Next I told the story of my drinking and how I got into recovery, and I gave them a unique slant on the 12-step program: how you do the 12 steps when "God as you understand him" has rejected you and intends to kill you at Armageddon. Then, back to JWs again, after I'm in recovery:
    ---------------------------------------

In 1996, I got internet access and discovered some websites on the internet that delved deeply into the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, examining them critically... their prophecies and predictions, their changing claims and teachings over the years, their methods and thought control tactics. Now, I'm not going to stand up here and tick that stuff off, and dog a particular religion. That's not why we're here tonight; we're here for recovery, a positive thing, not negative. So let me just say that, again, it was like a switch was flipped in my mind, and I was able to get past my concept of "God as I understand him" being a god who didn't want me and intended to destroy me. Over time, as I've studied and applied this program in my life, I've developed a different and much more comfortable understanding of God, one that works for me. Again, it is not my place to tell you about "God as I understand him" because each of us needs to come to our own understanding of God; the understanding that works for us.

------------------------------------------
    And then I talked some more about recovery and applying the principles of the Serenity Prayer: knowing what things you can and can't change, and acting on that knowledge. It came off rather well, I do say. :)

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

YEAH comf! I wished I could have been there to hear this in person! I am a long time active member of Alanon, and my husband of AA. The 12-steps literally are our "bible". I would have sat right in the front row for ya!

Speaking for myself, the 12 steps have helped me tremendously not only with the effects of alcoholism in my life, but also w/the effects of the Jehovah's Witnesses in my life. I wish more people would apply the Steps.....going joke here in our home is that before my little guy learns the ABC's he will learn the steps! LOL

Hats off to you......doesn' t it feel good to share? I spoke last year at our annual AA/Alanon banquet.......very humbling and uplifting experience. Makes a person realize just how far they have come and how great life can be!

~Christy of the "wanna meet Comf someday" class

Edited by - scootergirl on 24 November 2002 15:9:27

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Way to go COMF!

Hopefully your story will aid those who heard it, and help them defeat their addiction to alcohol, and avoid becoming JW's all at the same time.

A nice story.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

WOW (((Comf)))

You should be very proud of yourself and all that you have accomplished over the past 8 years. (longer including leaving the jws

I'm just glad you are here to tell us of your recovery and of living your life now.

j2bf

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Very well said Comf,,,,, I feel very proud for you , the courage it took to put that story out there for others to hear.

I went to a few Alanon meetings with my mother while she was in rehab for prescription drug abuse. It was really wonderful for her, she enjoyed talking to others and everyone loved her , she was there over a month. She had workbooks learn alot about why she was taking drugs,and was a making great progress. I was so proud of her at our family marathons, but my dad never showed up to support her. He was out having an affair with a sister from our hall. THings didnt go well for my mom, and even thou she did kick her habit of drug abuse for a time, she stopped the AA meetings, and lost contact with her friends she meet at the chemical dependency program. She got more depressed at the way my dad threw her away, and was living on her own for the the first time in her life, she married at 15. She got D/F for smoking , she picked up her old habit while detoxing off the drugs.

Without the support of AA and the 12 step program, she went back to depression and the drug abuse surfaced again, just like it started, subltly . I just wish she would have forgiven herself for all the years she wasted, but she never did. If she would have understood what I know about JW's being a cult she wouldnt have felt Jehovah God didnt love her anymore and her guilt would not have ate her up. Of course going to AA was one thing the JW's said was really a no no." Why have "worldly" people , doctors and other patients helping you,,,,,,,,, don't you know God will do all of that"? That was their view . They would rather have someone struggle and suffer than admit that the doctors and sponsers know what they are doing a hell of alot more than the Elders do.

I am just saying, this, to encourage anyone out there , maybe someone who is not a regular poster , who is afraid to come out , to NEVER try to do it alone, get off drugs or alcohol. The JW's are wrong in their views , and it has led many to their downfall. Get the help you need, AA is good, helpful and it saves lives.

Again Comf, I am glad you did this and I am glad you told your story to us. I am sure it will be just what someone out there needs to hear. Dede

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Well, for 12 years I'd been praying to God, asking for him to make the way out for me to be able to endure it. "Please give me strength to endure, give me wisdom to understand, help me make this work, I want to serve you right. Give me what's missing so that I can be what I'm supposed to be, help me understand, give me faith." And the result of 12 years of praying for that was that I was walking out.

To me, this meant that God obviously didn't want me in his religion, or else he would have given me "the way out for me to be able to endure it". I viewed it as God having rejected me from his religion. So I said to God, "Okay, I see how it is. You don't want me. Fine. You leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone."

Man, I can't even tell you how much I relate to that. I always felt like such a defective person, never fitting into the KH social scene and I absolutely hated the door-2-door. I was always seeking help from the elders, but you know what their answer to everything is - "do more!"

I had planned to do the "walkaway believer" thing, but like you I started surfing the internet and found out the real truth.

Interestingly I had been involved in a 12-step fellowship when I started studying Watchtowerism. What a mistake. I remember telling my sponsor that I wouldn't be coming to meetings any more, that I was going to become a JW. He didn't know what to think.

• COMF
    COMF

Dan, what was really interesting in my case is that my method of dealing with the "God" aspect of the 12 steps was to just say, "Okay, I recognize that this part of it is here, but I just can't deal with it right now, so I'm going to have to put it on hold and skip over step three to step four." And the stuff you do from step four to step ten had such a cleansing effect on me that I wanted to stay like that, so I started taking regular inventory, catching myself when I was wrong and correcting it, actively applying those principles for living that the steps contain. And they worked for me without the need to say it was a higher power doing it! Just living right causes stuff in your life to calm down and flow properly. Deal honestly with people, keep a calm head under stress, and things are just naturally going to smooth out for you!

I didn't tell the AA group that I am agnostic. I just encouraged them to work the steps actively. I said, "when we end a meeting we always say, 'Keep coming back; it works IF YOU WORK IT". That's "if YOU work it." We may be powerless, true, like the first step says. But read the first step again" (pointing at it on the wall behind me here) "'...that we were powerless OVER ALCOHOL'. It doesn't say that we're powerless over everything; just over alcohol, and that because of our powerlessness over alcohol our lives became unmanageable. It doesn't mean that we aren't capable of doing anything for ourselves and have to wait on the higher power to do it all. We do stuff. We work the steps. It's not the higher power working the steps; that's our job. And when we work the steps, that's OUR power being used. It works 'if YOU work it.'"

The whole concept of personal responsibility is probably too much for an alky with a few days' sobriety to be able to use. In fact, it probably would discourage them from trying, which is why the "higher power" idea is good for them. But there comes a time, after you've detoxed and your body is a bit healthier and your brain isn't foggy any more, that you need to shoulder the responsibility for your life yourself. AA doesn't really take people that far. I guess it's something each person has to figure out on his own.

• onacruse
    onacruse

COMF, congrats on having almost 8 years!

I've had almost 6 years at a stretch, though not for the last 5. Chaired quite a few AA meetings myself, while still a dub. Never allowed my religious background to be a topic for discussion (hadn't yet made the connection between addiction to substance and addictive behavior in a religion).

What has stuck with me most, during all the last 12 years since my first AA meeting....TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE.

Have paid some heavy prices for it, but finally have self-respect.

Second...KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.

Lot's yet to learn. Sheesh, lot's and LOT'S yet to learn!

Third...ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Making progress, slow but sure.

Craig

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Progress, not perfection.

• onacruse
    onacruse

scoot, yes indeed, progress is good enough, "perfection" of the JW/religious type is unattainable. That's one of the incredible things about the addictive personality that came on me like a flash. At a Salvation Army bookstore I found a book The Addictive Organization, written primarily as a primer in bureaucratic organizational behavior and structure. The similarities between the WTS and Big Business just blew me away, ESPECIALLY insofar as the expectation of perfection was concerned. The compulsive devotion to the "cause" and consequential addictive action/reaction syndrome...it was almost like the first time I read Crisis of Conscience.

Again, COMF, thanks for bringing this subject to the board, and sharing your own experiences. This is the kind of self-analysis that merits all the thought and attention it can get, imho.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit