Told my JW Story at AA Meeting

by COMF 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

{{hugs}} Thanks for sharing!

You know what else, there may have been someone there that night who needed to hear just what you said, and their life may be changing right now too. It is a great thing to be able to help others :)

• COMF
    COMF

scootergirl, I figure we're bound to meet up sooner or later. I missed Dallasfest this last time due to prescheduled stuff, but I intend to make as many apostafests as I can, and actually am intending to host one sometime this summer if all works out--maybe with my band providing some dance music (he said, foolishly and prematurely). Probably will ask for the blessing and guidance of that incomparable partythrower, District Overbeer, to make it a success. :)

Lyin', I've seen sooooo many witnesses who have prescription drug addictions. The lifestyle and the cognitive dissonance do it to them. Just like me with the drinking, they want something to deaden their emotions to the misery of the life they're living.

onacruse, sounds like you and I may have picked up on a few of the same ideas. I'm pleased to see, from other posts of yours, that things are going well for you these days. It's great living in the moment!

Billygoat, my alltime favorite Christian! Thanks, hon, I love you and Neil.

Mum, yep, I still do that every year. One time Cygnus beat me to it by a couple of days with a post titled, "Hey, COMF, how many years, buddy?"

Mike, seven years is a fine thing, man! Remember when two years looked like eternity? :)

moana, congrats on escaping two self-destructive addictions! And thanks to all who gave their congratulations and back-pats. Life is very, very good, folks. I'm proud to know you all.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

COMF,

Add my name to the list of back-patters and well-wishers. That was a well-written experience. Next time, we want you to work on audience contact and use of notes.

Hmmm

• mike047
    mike047

Captain; I can remember when ONE day was an eternity!!!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

To Comf and all the others in this thread who have turned their lives around in such a big way . I salute your courage and determination . Congratulations.

• recoveringexjw
    recoveringexjw

its so refreshing to see that a lot of us are becomn9ing freinds of dr bob and bill w. i went thru a lot of the same things. by the grace of god and u peoplwe ill have 7 yrs in july if i dont drink or die

• rebel
    rebel

Hi all,

This is my first time posting to this board. This story caught my eye because I am in recovery from addiction to a whole host of things including alcohol. I feel better and stronger now ever since I took charge of my life and refused to be brow-beaten by the 'Christians' in my local congregation. I have never been so scared, unhappy and depressed as I was when I was one of JWs. I am not disassociated or disfellowshipped (yet!) but I do have a lot of run-ins with elders. Mainly because I tend to stick up for the underdog - especially those who don't have the courage to stick up for themselves. One elder in particular really hates me (and I mean hate) because he says I am not submissive enough and I should only question things through my husband. I don't discourage anyone else and I do keep my views to myself - all I ever did was ask a couple of elders about things I wasn't certain about. They were horrified and said I should never question the FDS!! This elder also told me that if I lived in ancient times, I would have been stoned to death because 'that was how they dealt with alcoholics back then'. I have 7 years of freedom from addiction behind me but they always bring my past up whenever I question anything. I have never received any commendation for breaking free and sometimes I really despise the hypocrites in my congregation, although I know I shouldn't. I only continue to go to meetings (sometimes) due to my family - they hate it when I don't go.

Thanks for allowing me to share this

xxxR

• onacruse
    onacruse

A hearty welcome and handshake to you, rebel!

The elders' predisposition to remind you/us of our past "weaknesses" and use it against us to their advantage is but one more example of how stuck most of them are in the quagmire of their own muddled thinking. Not to mention unChristian by not truly forgiving.

Like an old-timer once told me: "Minds like concrete...thoroughly mixed up and firmly set."

Craig

• COMF
    COMF

Rebel, welcome to our humble forum! Glad to have you join us. Ugh, I shudder to think what it must be like to try to stay in recovery and be a JW at the same time. My hat's off to you, lady. Gotta respect that kind of inner strength! This is a place you can vent and find people who understand, who've experienced the same kind of stuff.

Seven years, wow! Major contrats on that!

COMF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit