Ever hear of the "Three-Brain"???

by WingCommander 51 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

Ven,

You know I love ya, but you've used just about every pseudoscientific word in the new age vernacular. Can you even clearly define any of these catch phrases? Do you know how long homeopathy has been around and how long scientists and doctors have known it is ineffective? Do you have any proof of this huge homeopathic movement in Europe? What does it matter, anyway? If Europeans are doing dumb things over there (which I don't believe they are) there is no reason for us to be irrational over here in our choice of medical treatment.

Sorry, hon, but it sounds like you've been hoodwinked by some slick salesmen. I'd recommend you do some research on the other side of the story, or at least learn exactly what these 'frequencies' are and what 'quantum medicine' is exactly.

rem

• rem
    rem

p.s. - here are some good skeptical books on the subject:

• Why People Believe Weird Things - Michael Shermer
    • Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan
    • Voodoo Science - Robert Park

rem

• larc
    larc

Mulan, Rem has spent a lot of time explaining the importance of good scientific research in determining what works and what doesn't work. There have been supposed cures for thousands of years. Some were real and some were simply an illusion. It has only been in recent times that we have been able to verify what works and what doesn't work through the scientific method. As a result of such a method, the life span has increased from 47 years to 75 years in the last one hundred years. I would say that this method of inquiry has a pretty good track record. Now, all anyone is asking is that any herb be put under the same scrutiny. Many herbs have been verified as effective and now are a part of modern treatment. The same scrutiny should apply to any herb, spice, or method of treatment that is advocated by those who believe in it. Yes, research can be expensive, but the lack of research can be equally expensive. If thousands of people spend money on something that doesn't work, that is very expensive. If people die because that take something that is ineffectual that is extremely expensive. Mulan, on a side note, I drink too much, I smoke too much, I drink too much coffee, my diet is not good, and despite of all that, at the age of 62, I rarely get sick. Since my retirement at the end of 1999, I have felt poorly on two days. Before that, when I was working, I got the flu almost every winter. In my case, stress, not bad living had a lot to do with it. So, my advice is to chill out and you won't have to worry about supliments, etc. It's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

• rem
    rem

A fascinating story on Homeopathy was featured on the BBC Horizon show recently. The Horizon team applied for the James Randi $1 million dollar challenge to see if water really has memory. Here is the transcript... it's very interesting reading:

Also, some remarks from James Randi on the history of Homeopathy from his web site:

rem

• Quotes
    Quotes

Water frequency?

That sounds pretty official! But I am perplexed and need more information to fully understand (maybe it just my technical background seeking out important details).

MegaHertz? KiloHertz? What is the frequency? How is it measured?

Is this audible frequency (ie. soundwaves)? If so we should be able to measure it. Although the human hearing cuts off well before 20kHz, more sensitive equipement can pick up a much higher range.

Is it an electro-magnetic frequency? What part of the E-M specturm is it: radio waves? light waves? higher frequency than light waves?

If we know the frequency, then all we have to do is "apply" it directly to the water (maybe using a Microwave oven, if it can be tuned to the correct E-M frequency). That should be a lot easier than all those "half mixed with water" dilutions! Should save quite a bit of time too!

Furthermore, if such a device (again, I am thinking a micro-wave oven type thing, or radio-transmitter/walkie-talkie, or stereo loudspeaker, depending on what "frequency" we need to impart) were adjustable, we could "dial in" the frequncy and transform any distilled water into homeopathic water of any type! (I am assuming that different solutions, based on different materials, have different "frequencies".)

Let me know "What's the frequency, Kenneth" (apologies to R.E.M.) so I can get to my lab and start making the machine that will make me rich! Seriously, let me know. This will be really easy for me to put together in just a few weeks and I am looking for a new business venture. Of course, my new "water frequency imparter" invention will put all those herbal remedy companies out of business, because there is no need to buy old-style manually produced solutions from them when you can make your own at home with my invention and some distilled water -- but that's OK because, unlike the drug companies, the herbal companies were never in it for the money, were they!

• Mulan
    Mulan

My gosh, people, the arguments against homeopathy???? I won't even address that. It's a science, proven. Enough already!!

About kinesiology: On Thanksgiving, one of my nieces asked about intuitive treatments, and described a kinesiology diagnostic situation she was in recently. My brother (I was absolutely shocked, thinking he believed in all of this) started spouting skepticism. I couldn't stay quiet, so had him stand up, and I demonstrated in front of all my company that it works. He was absolutely stunned!! Now he is a believer. One thing I did was to place different health products in his hands and muscle tested him, while he said "this is good for me to consume". I used calcium, minerals, Advil and rubbing alcohol. The right answer was given every time. When it was a negative, there was no way he could hold his arm, but he REALLY tried to make it work.

I am so tired of this subject. I think Ven and I should start our own clinic. What do you think, Venice?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

hahahha Now that would be FUN!!!!!

I'd luv to have my own shop!!!!

Ven

• Mulan
    Mulan

And we could read auras, too!!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

BWWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!

Ven

• rem
    rem

Mulan,

There is quite a difference in merely being skeptical of a claim vs. having the expertise to understand what a good experiment is and what controls are important. I applaud your brother's initial skepticism, but it sounds like he's not well trained in (or at least does not apply) scientific method and rigorous experiment protocol.

As far as homeopathy being a science, I just have to laugh out loud. It's just as much a science as phrenology is today. If you had read the material posted above you would have seen that there is no evidence of any frequencies or memory in water. There are interesting effects, to be sure, but they are most probably nothing more than placebo.

It would be cool to get the BBC Horizon's show on video somehow so you could see how the experiment was done and how it proves that even trained scientists can be fooled by bad procedure in the lab. Of course, the $1 million prize was not won.

I'm reading a really great book right now that covers all sorts of pseudoscientific and paranormal claims, including homeopathy and other alternative health remedies. It's very comprehensive in citing scientific studies that have proven such claims false. The book is Pseudoscience and the Paranormal by Hines. It's a very interesting read! I would suggest you read it just to get a feel for what the other side thinks... you know... keep your friends close and your enemies closer kinda deal.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit